Seat for casting platform

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Check out my seat for casting platform - I think it's great! Allows me to throw lures from the bow up current without falling out of the boat in larger seas and stops me from fatiguing early. The esky has some overhang which stops me from sliding backwards. The feet have rubber to stop sliding on the aluminium.

It's also super portable and stows easy where the anchor goes. I never use the anchor but I have a reef anchor in dry storage should maritime police ask to see it.

If anyone else has a DIY casting seat I'd be interested to see it. Cheers,

Luke

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

Guest Guest123456789

In fact I just removed the starboard bow rail with a hacksaw and also removed the anchor line and chain. Now my feet go in the anchor well and I can get the tip of my rod lower to the surface of the water. Can't wait to try it!

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

Hi Luke. Looks good, hope it works well for you. You'll certainly be nearer to the water, where you're casting... ahead of the boat. Let us all know how you go with it. You asked for other set ups so I thought I'd show you how I've set my boat up for casting lures and spinnerbaits.

I converted the rear seat to a pedestal fitting so that I only need to move the seat from one pedestal to the other when I change from driving the boat (using the outboard)...to using the electric... and casting lures, spinnerbaits, etc. I made up a fitting and attached a home made pedestal to it. So that it is secure I bolted it through the rear transom? of the boat. Unsure what it's called but the thing that is forward and aft and goes across the boat. The seats are fitted to them.

I fitted a false floor and mounted the casting pedestal in a suitable location, for casting and operating the electric motor. I don't have very good balance so this allows me to cruise around the snags, casting all day...without worrying about falling overboard.

I'm very happy with the set up as safety is imperative when fishing on ones own. Here's a few pics that (hopefully) clarify what I was explaining. Cheers, Neil

The converted pedestal seat

IMG_8459resize.jpg

The casting pedestal

IMG_8460resize.jpg

Casting pedestal seat in position (adjustable)

IMG_8461resize.jpg

The home made pedestal for the driving seat (petrol motor). This is bolted through the transom for stability

y.IMG_8462resize.jpg

Front view showing bolts

IMG_8463resize.jpg

Rear view of home made fitting

IMG_8464resize.jpg

Rear view of casting pedestal seat

IMG_8465resize.jpg

Guest Guest123456789

I like the system BN so you just move the seats around as needed? Looks much like how the newer boats are set up.

confused by the transom comments, You mean rear bench seat right? The transom holds the outboard.

that bracket holding the pedestal, how is it secured? Does it just fit snugly in place? I can't see how it could be bolted in position I would think you could only use self tapping screws or sikaflex as the seats are filled with foam.

You are right Luke. The home made pedestal is fitted to the rear bench seat and is the same diameter as the other (shop bought) pedestal. I made up a snug fitting ply framework and bolted the home made pedestal to it. I then drilled through the (foam filled) rear seat and ran 2 lengths of threaded rod right through. These are secured with large washers and nuts. The entire seat is very stable. Cheers, BN

Guest Guest123456789

Threaded rod, what a great idea I didn't know such material existed. That's a very solid way to set it up, my helm seat isn't as stable which means (annoyingly) I can't lean back in it.

Yeh it's very solid Luke. The 3/8th threaded rod took a bit of hammering through because of the foam filling inside the bench seat. I put a couple of nuts on 1 end and hammered away. Once it was through and I'd fastened the frame in place, I undid the nuts and put the washers in place. When it was all fastened securely I used an angle grinder to make it all smooth and not protruding anywhere. Would a pedestal seat be any good in your application? BN

Guest Guest123456789
Just now, big Neil said:

Yeh it's very solid Luke. The 3/8th threaded rod took a bit of hammering through because of the foam filling inside the bench seat. I put a couple of nuts on 1 end and hammered away. Once it was through and I'd fastened the frame in place, I undid the nuts and put the washers in place. When it was all fastened securely I used an angle grinder to make it all smooth and not protruding anywhere. Would a pedestal seat be any good in your application? BN

A pedestal would be great, I could move my helm seat as needed, unfortunately the way the front is set up it could be hard  to get it secure, not obstructing my dry storage and able to get my rod tip close enough to the water. I'll take a look at it.

i suspect my little portable seat will be fine but let's see.

Guest Guest123456789
23 minutes ago, big Neil said:

BN yoi got me thinking and I've come up with a better solution. A bucket!! Gets me up higher, more comfortable and I will add a lanyard to it and it doubles as a bailer. Also fits perfectly into my anchor well. Thanks so much for your input!

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

Guest Guest123456789

Now here's a challenge @big Neil and something I could use you input with please @Fab1.

Add a removable (ie slip on) bracket to the base of the bucket which will add more space for my backside and also swivel. I'm thinking something that is also padded. It would be great if it could fit into my anchor well also.

Any ideas on materials and how to attach?

IMG_1537.JPG

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

You are right Luke. The home made pedestal is fitted to the rear bench seat and is the same diameter as the other (shop bought) pedestal. I made up a snug fitting ply framework and bolted the home made pedestal to it. I then drilled through the (foam filled) rear seat and ran 2 lengths of threaded rod right through. These are secured with large washers and nuts. The entire seat is very stable. Cheers, BN

Good job there mate.If those ground nuts are scraping on your legs get yourself some acorn nuts like these as they're nicer on the legs.image.jpgAlso if you want to push a bolt through foam next time try using a length of hollow tube first to push through and twist which will remove a foam plug for easier fitment of the threaded rod.

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Now here's a challenge @big Neil and something I could use you input with please @Fab1.

Add a removable (ie slip on) bracket to the base of the bucket which will add more space for my backside and also swivel. I'm thinking something that is also padded. It would be great if it could fit into my anchor well also.

Any ideas on materials and how to attach?

IMG_1537.JPG

Off the top of my head if you want that bucket to swivel and be padded I'd get myself a swivelling bearing like this image.jpg, attach a plywood board to it then u/bolt that bucket to the board.

(If you want you can leave the bucket separate and just sit the bucket on top of the board).

Have you thought about mounting a pedestal and seat where you have the bucket?You could still mount it to be removable using wing nuts that sit flush with the floor for when it's not in use. 

For the seat there's options from a simple cushion to cutting out a round piece of ply,padding it and covering in vinyl,the choices are endless.

Cheers.

Guest Guest123456789
27 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Good job there mate.If those ground nuts are scraping on your legs get yourself some acorn nuts like these as they're nicer on the legs.image.jpgAlso if you want to push a bolt through foam next time try using a length of hollow tube first to push through and twist which will remove a foam plug for easier fitment of the threaded rod.

Off the top of my head if you want that bucket to swivel and be padded I'd get myself a swivelling bearing like this image.jpg, attach a plywood board to it then u/bolt that bucket to the board.

(If you want you can leave the bucket separate and just sit the bucket on top of the board).

Have you thought about mounting a pedestal and seat where you have the bucket?You could still mount it to be removable using wing nuts that sit flush with the floor for when it's not in use. 

For the seat there's options from a simple cushion to cutting out a round piece of ply,padding it and covering in vinyl,the choices are endless.

Cheers.

Hi Fab1, thanks for the suggestions they're great ideas. I might give that a go later on when I have the required time and finances needed to set it up to that level. It got me thinking of alternate ways and at the moment I think a small esky will be better than the bucket. I can use it as a bailer but it's much more comfortable on the buttocks. I may sikaflex some foam to the lid. See pics below:

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

42 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Hi Fab1, thanks for the suggestions they're great ideas. I might give that a go later on when I have the required time and finances needed to set it up to that level. It got me thinking of alternate ways and at the moment I think a small esky will be better than the bucket. I can use it as a bailer but it's much more comfortable on the buttocks. I may sikaflex some foam to the lid. See pics below:

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

The esky will be more stable also being rectangular.The glued foam or a simple cushion will be welcomed by the buttocks.

Hey Luke I reckon that idea of the esky and padded top will get you out of trouble...and a cheap option too. It's actually what I used before I set up my boat with the pedestal seat. As Fabian says, a removable pedestal seat would most likely provide an increased level of comfort. However, the esky has the added benefit of being able to keep your food, drinks and bait cool. I've enjoyed this topic Luke (and Fabian). It goes to show that we all have different needs which we address in different ways. Good luck when you go out Luke, hope it makes fishing more comfortable and you get among them.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks guys. I think cheap and nasty option for now and later I'll drop a top notch pedestal and padded seat that swivels and is adjustable. I'll upload pics when that project is done.

Fabian, I've made a note of the name (acorn nuts)...if I have any future need. I love the way you are able to post photos of the swivel pedestal base. You must have one of everything at your place mate (LOL). As I said before you remind me so much of my neighbour. He always has a solution, no matter what the problem. Top stuff. BN

13 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks guys. I think cheap and nasty option for now and later I'll drop a top notch pedestal and padded seat that swivels and is adjustable. I'll upload pics when that project is done.

Sometimes cheap n nasty is all you'll ever need mate.If it's functional and meets your needs it's a winner in my book.

11 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Fabian, I've made a note of the name (acorn nuts)...if I have any future need. I love the way you are able to post photos of the swivel pedestal base. You must have one of everything at your place mate (LOL). As I said before you remind me so much of my neighbour. He always has a solution, no matter what the problem. Top stuff. BN

My mrs wishes I had one of everything mate.I'd say the same is true with you guys and all your fishing gear.

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I am enjoying this topic too - great brainstorming guys!!!

Thanks Mrs Swordie.

ive done it!! See pics below, milk crate with some closed cell foam off cut secured with 2 old oky straps. This is then secured to the boat at the cleat. Very strong, light, stable and comfortable. Best of all I can still open the bow storage without removing. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Luke

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

The old milk crate comes to the rescue again.Top stuff!I hear they make great billy cart seats for kids.Oh the memories I've got from the old billy cart days not to mention my scars.

Cheers.

Guest Guest123456789
4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

The old milk crate comes to the rescue again.Top stuff!I hear they make great billy cart seats for kids.Oh the memories I've got from the old billy cart days not to mention my scars.

Cheers.

Thanks Fab. The old billy carts, they were the days!!

• 10 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, flatheadluke said:

In fact I just removed the starboard bow rail with a hacksaw and also removed the anchor line and chain. Now my feet go in the anchor well and I can get the tip of my rod lower to the surface of the water. Can't wait to try it!

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

Handy seat you have there