Starting Jigging (Still studying/researching)

Sleepydawg

Hi guys !

I've been fishing land based usually at Stanwell park. My equipment are as follows:

Crystal blue 12ft w/ Thunnus 8k

An old telescopic 15ft telescopic /w Alivio 10k

6ft 7' Catana Snap Rod / Baitrunner 4500b and 3500b 

I want to start getting into metal jigging. I know I can use my Catana but can I use my 12ft rod to jig as well? like a 80gram metal jig and quick retrieve on the rocks, say like... Avoca Beach.

I couldn't find much on jigging on a 12ft, I'd imagine that despite the casting distance, the rod is just too long for it?

Any tips and education would be very appreciated

TIA

Remy

from what you are describing I think you are going to be casting metal slugs from the rocks for pelagics ??? for this a 12ft rod would be fine, personally I would go 10ft but its all about personal preference.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "jigging" refers to working a lure vertically generally from a boat, that would be why your searches of "jigging on a 12ft" wouldn't have come up with much 

hope this helps

Dave

18 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

from what you are describing I think you are going to be casting metal slugs from the rocks for pelagics ??? for this a 12ft rod would be fine, personally I would go 10ft but its all about personal preference.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "jigging" refers to working a lure vertically generally from a boat, that would be why your searches of "jigging on a 12ft" wouldn't have come up with much 

hope this helps

Dave

YES !!! Thanks Dave

This was to be land based from the rocks chasing pelagic species like kingies and bonito. Which means my current combo is fine.

Also would casting a soft lure be appropriate on the same gear at a beach like Stanwell Park where it's just all sand chasing jewfish? I believe the technique here is also different as I would reel, and give it a break then reel again and continue where as the technique for kingies and others I would reel constantly and quickly

Is this correct?

A large heavy rod might struggle to cast plastics far enough to use on the beach. What's the cast weight rating of the rod?

Think about how much a 1/4 - 1/2 ounce jig head and 6" plastic weighs and check that your rod can cast a low enough weight.

Edited by BrassRoots

35 minutes ago, BrassRoots said:

A large heavy rod might struggle to cast plastics far enough to use on the beach. What's the cast weight rating of the rod?

Think about how much a 1/4 - 1/2 ounce jig head and 6" plastic weighs and check that your rod can cast a low enough weight.

I can only find the following details

12ft, 8-12kg line weight, medium action and it is a surf spin 

2 hours ago, Sleepydawg said:

YES !!! Thanks Dave

This was to be land based from the rocks chasing pelagic species like kingies and bonito. Which means my current combo is fine.

Also would casting a soft lure be appropriate on the same gear at a beach like Stanwell Park where it's just all sand chasing jewfish? I believe the technique here is also different as I would reel, and give it a break then reel again and continue where as the technique for kingies and others I would reel constantly and quickly

Is this correct?

for plastics you would go better with a lighter graphite rod, probably around the 4-8kg range

you want to hop plastics along the bottom working the lure with your rod then winding up the slack

working metals for pelagics you're correct in a quick retrieve but you can vary it up by slowing it down or adding some twitches