Port Hacking again

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, had enough of waiting for the wind to ease. Anchored near Lilli Pilli, but the wind was still blowing, though less than the last 2 days. Still not the best fishing conditions.

Pulled out the tailor on a pillie on the first cast then, nothing. An occasional little reddie, then the gurnard after some time. Gurnard usually mean not much else about (as most other fish will be first to the bait, gurnard are usually the last, as they spend a lot of time walking on the bottom on their "legs" to find food)

Moved to South West Arm to get out of the wind, put out some burley and the yakka line, no yakkas but pulled the 2 trevs, and dropped a bigger one at the boat. A few pickers about, and pulled up the reddie on the last cast with a fish strip.

Headed for home, had a throw in from my mother's place in Gunnamatta Bay for the bream.

The water was a bit murky, expected to pull a few fish after the rain, but not to be. Enough for a good feed of crumbed fillets.

Did not see another boat out there.

fish.jpeg.95.png

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Not a bad result Yowie, considering they weren't playing and the conditions were crap. Gotta be happy with a feed. BN

Yes Neil, certainly happy with a feed.

15 hours ago, finin said:

Nice little feed there yowie, how do you rate the gurnard? I get a few now and again but dont rate them personally. How do you do em up?

Cut the fillets off, remove the bones, and crumb and pan fry.

Not the world's top eating fish, but still fairly tasty. Can be a bit dry so do not overcook.

Definitely better eating than mowie. :D

Edited by Yowie

14 hours ago, Johndory said:

Yowie

I have never tried to eat a Gurnard as they get a bad rap?

Is it a neighbors fish OR ok to put on the table?

JD

Some people rate them as similar to flatties in taste. I don't think that but they are fairly edible.

I will release them if there are plenty of fish in the bag, but usually catch them when not much else is biting, so I keep them. The only way to know is to try one.

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I've never caught a legal red in the hacking but you seem to come home with one or 2 each time.

Must be the.nippers as Im just using prawns?

Do you ever get over to the botany side yowie for some flathead action??

I don't have a boat trailer, I keep my tinny in my mother's boatshed on Gunnamatta Bay, so I fish inside the Hacking, or occasionally head out to Bate Bay to drift for flatties, or whatever else is about.

Have fished Botany Bay just once and that was many years ago.

There are a lot of undersize reddies for each legal one. I use pillies, squid strips or fish strips for the reddies.

Good job getting a feed in not the best conditions. I went for a flick for bass and they were biting but the wind was killing me in an open valley and I lost everyone in reeds....

Do you ever fish up around lugarno/Illawong?

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 8:12 PM, mattfinn said:

Good job getting a feed in not the best conditions. I went for a flick for bass and they were biting but the wind was killing me in an open valley and I lost everyone in reeds....

Do you ever fish up around lugarno/Illawong?

What part of sydney do you do your bass fishing mate?