I've been fairly busy lately and haven't been out much, to the river. I ventured out yesterday evening, arriving at the river about 4.45pm. Decided to go to an area where I'd got a few Cod and a huge Carp recently. I chucked the shrimp net in and set up the 2 rods. One with a running sinker down to the hook and the other with a double paternoster rig which I put cheese (1) and worms(2) on. Just cheese on the first rod. Lobbed in and settled down to await the action. After half an hour of no bites and the setting sun blinding me as its light diffused through the trees, I pulled up to find no bait on either rod. Had a quick move about 10 m downstream, into the shade of a huge Redgum, and set up again, this time adding shrimps to the menu on offer. By 6.45 pm there were still no bites so I couldn't determine which bait to use. The last hour had been eventful in one way though. A guy had decided to test his water skiing boat out and was hurtling up and down, past me, with regular monotony. Each time my little tinny was thrust up against the tree stump which I was tied to. GGRRR!

I decided to give it another half hour, once he'd gone. I pulled the lines in and the double paternoster rig got snagged, so I had to break that line. Put cheese on the other and lobbed it in at the edge of the current. I was tackling the other rod up when I had the first bite for the session. BANG and the rod bends down towards the water...I strike and feel weight. First thought was another big Carp but it wasn't fighting too hard so I thought "maybe a nice Cod". Sure enough a very healthy Cod of 66cms hits the landing net. I decided to keep this one for a feed, rebaited and lobbed in the same spot. Set about re rigging the other rod and BANG...on again. This time a 55 cms Cod which I let go. It was getting a little dark and so I pulled up stumps with the fish still biting and headed back to the boat ramp. Nice result for a quickie down the river. BN