Craziest catch

Catch_22

Hi All

Have you managed to "pull a Homer" .... if you're not up with the Simpsons, this is an episode where Homer stops a nuclear meltdown by guessing which button to push.

Yesterday was my turn. I had 30 mins to do some power fishing .... pulled out my four piece travel rod and rigged up a 2.5" Zman Slim Swimz in Greasy Prawn. After catch and releasing a nice flatty, I was casting out around some bridge pylons and letting the incoming tide drift it along with the current. Towards the end of the session I cast out, felt something strange, looked down and three of the four pieces of the rod are missing !!! I hadn't checked the rod joins and one must have loosened up. I started reeling in slowly and was relieved to see the missing section of the rod appear through the murky water.

Then I feel it ... tap tap tap ... nooo ... tap tap tap .... the rod section starts disappearing below the water again. As I start reeling in .... the fish is on .... the rod section is gone below the water again as the drag starts pulling out. Started reeling again and slowly I started winning the tug of war .... I managed to grab the rod section and put it all back together. It was another flatty, around 25cm, and released it. Not sure if it would be good to have captured this on camera or not.

That was the end of the session - needed to get back on the road.

So what's your craziest catch story ?

Haha glad to hear u got ur rod peice back

i was flicking lures once along the shore working my way across Le Montage when i struck against something odd. It definately wasnt a fish but felt like seaweed. I brought the lure in and guess what.... $50 BUCKS attached to my lure !!! I still tell this story to all my friends and they call me a liar ! Must have just fallen in the water because it was crisp clean !

Thank you Mr/Mrs Stranger for your generous donation ! 

Back in the 70's I was fishing with my mate in his tinny in Tuross lake. Was using my "Black Queen" rod drifting for flattieswhen I hooked up to what turned out to be a nice flattie. Just before being able to net it, the top half of the 2 piece rod came adrift and disappeared into the depths along with the fish. Was very p*ssed off for losing my best rod, plus didnt have a spare, only a handline. After a while decided to rig up the handline and have a go. First drop, got caught up on something and discovered i had snagged a rod and reel (not a black queen unfortunately) that hadn't been in the water very long. Reel wasnt much chop, but the rod was in good nick . 

My mate couldnt believe it and called me all the names under sun!

My list is as follows;

Not one, but two rod and reel combos,

A glass ash tray (the hook just snagged the edge),

And a dart where i got my hook through the eye of a swivel, which was in turn connected to a meter of trace and a hook, to which the fish was attached

One day during an unsuccessful blackfish trip in Yamba I cast out a mullet fillet on my blackfish gear and hooked and landed about 6-7kg jew. The unluckiest fish in the world swam downstream through the pylons and then back upstream through the same pylons. I was using some graphite fishing line that I think I won in a competition from Modern Fishing, definitely abrasion resistant!

Matt

Flicking hardbody lures towards river bank. Snagged something one meter away from bank. Did the lure retrieve because I'm cheap.

lure was snagged on a safe, that had its door bent open. Rang the plod, ended up a stolen safe.

Blue swimmer crab on a metal Wonder Wobbler lure. Spinning in water 20 to 30 feet deep, lure about 2 feet under the surface.

The crab had one nipper around the lure body and would not let go. Lifted him into the boat and he would not let go of the lure for some time.