Securing boat to a mooring bouy

longy509

Hi i am heading up the coast next week and the place we are staying has a mooring buoy i am thinking about leaving the boat in over night can anyone tell me the safest and most secure way to tie my boat off to the mooring.

Thanks

Hey mate thanks for replying i have a cross bollard at the front  the boat is a 5.4m allycraft bowrider. is there any particular knot i should use to ensure the boat doesn't float away over night. sorry if the questions sound silly but i live in central west nsw  out here we just drag the boat up on to the bank for the night i have never had to tie up to anything

The rope off the mooring will be too thick to do anything except slip it over the bollard and pull it under the cross bars, If your worried tie a second mooring rope to the loop and tie it off to a cleat or bow rail.  

Option 2 if your bollard is a bit smaller. 

Option 3

If you can't tie knots tie lots :)

Edited by NaClH2OK9

There are two types of moorings the one on the utube and the other and most common one is where the main mooring line isattached to a yellow or red float with a light line from float to main line which has a loop in the end. It is that main loop that goies onto your bow cleat with a small rope around the line to lock the loop into place. Not the small line. I see lots of ppl that just put a line thru the handle of the float. My boat lives on a mooring where birds eat away the small line to the float thus making it very weak which would have broken off if any weight was put onto it, so if it broke the main line will sink to the bottom and boat would float away.

Hope that is helpful? 

19 hours ago, DrownNprawns said:

There are two types of moorings the one on the utube and the other and most common one is where the main mooring line isattached to a yellow or red float with a light line from float to main line which has a loop in the end. It is that main loop that goies onto your bow cleat with a small rope around the line to lock the loop into place. Not the small line. I see lots of ppl that just put a line thru the handle of the float. My boat lives on a mooring where birds eat away the small line to the float thus making it very weak which would have broken off if any weight was put onto it, so if it broke the main line will sink to the bottom and boat would float away.

Hope that is helpful? 

Thanks mate i might take a chain and padlock i should be safe then