Tow vehicle

JonD

My Prado was starting to cost to much to keep so have sold the old girl on but now looking for something else. Doesn't seem to matter what vehicle I look at they all seem to have plenty of poor reviews, Personaly I think it's just luck on how they've been looked after on second hand market to a certain degree.

Ive been looking at a few diesel tritons about 4-5 years old as well as Nissan navaras and pathfinders. My boat outfit is pretty light and I dare say 1200kg at the most, though once the family and gear are all packed I dare say I'm up around 1.5 tons.

Anyone here using anything other than Toyota as a tow vehicle, not that I have anything against it's just they are more expensive than most other vehicles. Just wanting to get an idea what people think of what they are towing with.

Jon

My brother drives a Mazda BT-50 and does a *lot* of towing. It's got a huge towing capacity and he said it's never skipped a beat. On top of that I rate Mazda very highly overall in terms of vehicle quality!

Cheers,

Wellzy

35 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

Have a look on GraysOnline, plenty to choose from.

I've looked on there but they don't actually have many 4x4 autos. Also you buy as seen without even a test drive, any issues with the high pressure injection system and you can soon run into big money. I was getting quotes of around $8000 to replace my injectors and pump.

ive also been reading about people who have had bad fuel doing huge damage  even on new cars which isn't covered under warranty due to it being a fuel problem that stuffed the engines.

Wellzy94 the BT50 is still a little new and out of my price range but they are getting reviews.

Thanks again Jon

Edited by JonD

Horses for courses, you have however approached this in the right manner. Work out what you are towing weight wise and go from there. This was something my 4WD instructor said about caravaning (he was a professional towing instructor), but also applies to boaties. It will never hurt to have a slightly larger towing capacity than you really need. So aim for something that will tow about 2.5 tonne, remembering that you should also take into account ball weight. Rule of thumb 10% of the all up weight should be on the ball. So your towbar assembly on the new vehicle should be capable of the same. As for vehicles sometimes it is better to stick with what you know, so maybe a later model Prado might be best. I myself have a 2000 GU 4.2 TD Patrol, which I will not be parting with.  I am also partial to the Pajero, My Dad's diesel 2008 ex cop unit tows brilliantly and can actually tow more all up weight than my vehicle.

I know a little different circumstances since i have no missus and kids, but my 2009 bt50 single cab trayed ute tows my rig easily......its the boat in my avatar pic.  I have towed my r32 skyline on a trailer with it, it did what i needed it to do, though i reckon it struggled a little.  Ive heard good things about the newer model 4x4 bt50.  Try and get your trailer/boat/gear thats usually in it to a weigh station and then see the specs of the car your looking at to work out if your tow weights will be ok.  I've only ever driven a triton years ago (10 years atleast)as a work vehicle and the turning circle was pathetic

G'day John,

I have a 2011 MN triton manual 4wd.  Bought it as a demo and have used it ever since for towing a 6m barcrusher and the wife's been towing a dual horse float with it.  It's a bit too small for the horse float and two large horses so she now uses a 200 series landcruiser.  So far it's been a good thing with just the usual little dramas you have along the way.  I've towed the boat all over the place and I'm quite happy with it.  However, an unknown number of this model both auto and manual, have had an issue with over heating.  Apparently there was a 'tooling issue' on the assembly line, regarding the 'head' and this has seen a recall as many motors were overheating and failing resulting in complete replacement under warranty. I've even heard of the replacement motors suffering the same drama and being replaced again.  All that aside, I've done 130,000k's and this hasn't been an issue for me (yet).  If you are looking at this model have a look at the newtriton forum and do some research.  If you would like to discuss it more, or want to have a look through the car I'm at Batemans Bay and I'm sure we can meet up somewhere.  Cheers...

Dave

I run a fleet of around 90 light vehicles so as you can imagine ive seen just about all comers. The triton was a really good vehicle prior to them removing the old Pajero 3.2 and replacing it with the new 2.5. In my personal opinion it is nowhere near the truck it once was and i fear once my own Pajero gives up the ghost i wont be able to get another in 3.2.

As far as the ute market goes it will really depend on what you are after. As you say your budget may not stretch to the newer BT50 or Ranger which is understandable. I had a great run out of the previous shaped Ranger with the 3.0L in it. We've put some big loads on them and towed big loads and they've not missed a beat. If you dont really require 4wd it may be worth having a look at the 2wd in this vehicle which came standard with a limited slip diff. That will save you a few coins.

The former Rodeo and Colorado both used an Isuzu motor which is proven and although a little sluggish had plenty of down low grunt and obviously the longevity you'd love to see.

The newer Isuzu dont have all the bells and whistles of the others but are a very good ute and will do everything asked of them and a little more. The MUX is also a fantastic vehicle if youre after something a little more passenger friendly on the same drive train.

The new Colorado is a cheaper alternative and have been really good for us. Again their sibling the colorado 7 is more passenger friendly and a great truck.

Hilux are hilux and are a good truck but personally i think they are overpriced when sat alongside the others above.

Hope some of that is decent information for you

20 minutes ago, New Signing said:

I run a fleet of around 90 light vehicles so as you can imagine ive seen just about all comers. The triton was a really good vehicle prior to them removing the old Pajero 3.2 and replacing it with the new 2.5. In my personal opinion it is nowhere near the truck it once was and i fear once my own Pajero gives up the ghost i wont be able to get another in 3.2.

The 2017 Pajero still has the same 3.2L engine. You must be thinking of the Pajero Sport which is a totally different vehicle and has a 2.4L engine. I am not sure what your reference to the Triton means.

Edited by kingfishbig

Just now, kingfishbig said:

The 2017 Pajero still has the same 3.2L engine. You must be thinking of the Pajero Sport which is a totally different vehicle and has a 2.5L engine. I am not sure what your reference to the Triton means.

I think the older tritons had the same engine as the 3.2L Pajero, and the newer tritons have the same as the Pajero Sport (the 2.5L).

16 minutes ago, New Signing said:

As far as the ute market goes it will really depend on what you are after. As you say your budget may not stretch to the newer BT50 or Ranger which is understandable. I had a great run out of the previous shaped Ranger with the 3.0L in it. We've put some big loads on them and towed big loads and they've not missed a beat. If you dont really require 4wd it may be worth having a look at the 2wd in this vehicle which came standard with a limited slip diff. That will save you a few coins.

The former Rodeo and Colorado both used an Isuzu motor which is proven and although a little sluggish had plenty of down low grunt and obviously the longevity you'd love to see.

The newer Isuzu dont have all the bells and whistles of the others but are a very good ute and will do everything asked of them and a little more. The MUX is also a fantastic vehicle if youre after something a little more passenger friendly on the same drive train.

The new Colorado is a cheaper alternative and have been really good for us. Again their sibling the colorado 7 is more passenger friendly and a great truck.

Hilux are hilux and are a good truck but personally i think they are overpriced when sat alongside the others above.

Hope some of that is decent information for you

Thanks again guys, it's good to hear the Colorado have been ok as there are a few in my price range ( which is probably capped at about $25000). As mentioned there are some poor reviews on most in my range. Just to add my 3lt turbo diesel prado owned and cared for from new having every service at 5000 or 3000 when towing needed a new fuel pump, turbo and injectors before it hit 200000. I've seen many problems way before that on prado point forum with the newer higher pressure diesels so feel ready to try a different make.

A car that keeps coming up which I'm almost a bit embarrassed to ask about is the Hyundai Santa Fe. This seems to come in well above average in every review I've found, it's power and torque 145 kw 465 Nm are also well above most not to mention fantastic fuel economy. Boatsales have a review under the towing test that describe it as easely towing a 5.65 boat plus adults on a 3000k journey very well.

Like many of us with family's much of our driving is running all over the place dropping kids to sports events, after school music lessons and just doing the shopping etc. For me that range tends to be further due to one of mine competing in triathlons etc all over NSW so good economy is a must. As mentioned earlier my boat (5m rib with a 119 kg f70 Yam) is pretty lightweight and I have no intensions of going back into bigger boats again. I do tow my boat from one end to the other of this country but rarely tackle seriouse 4x4.

A fishing buddy has given me second offer on one of his trayback tritons (first offer to one of his workers) which would just be paying off the balance owing as he's closing his business. There's also a second triton locally with low km and a fibre glass canopy that looks and sounds good. There's also a 2012 Colorado in Woolongong that sounds like it's worth a look and lastly there's a 2013 low km Hyundai hidden away inland south of me close to where my daughter has a triathlon this weekend.

Jon

I'm a huge fan of Santa Fe's Jon and in the last few years have probably had upwards of 20 pass through the fleet. One of these which we still have has just clocked up 400,000klms and another had 380,000klms on them before i got rid of them (madness keeping them this long but thats another story). Neither of these vehicles have had any major issues. On the the blokes tows a 21ft aluminium centre console with his without any drama's. Fuel economy is really good with them.

For a Santa Fe around 3-4yrs old with <100,000klms you should be looking to pay around $18k at auction or $22-24k at a dealer.

All of these modern diesels with high pressure injection run the same risks with shit fuel. We've had it a couple of times and honestly you are looking at up to $12k to fix the drama. It's not pretty and in many cases will mean its easier to cut their loses and buy a new vehicle for most people.

I've not had a lot of experience with Prado's but i do have a good friend who had to put a whole new motor in his Prado to the tune of about $20k with under 100,000klms on it. Toyota did come to the party and i think from memory paid around half

52 minutes ago, JonD said:

Thanks again guys, it's good to hear the Colorado have been ok as there are a few in my price range ( which is probably capped at about $25000). As mentioned there are some poor reviews on most in my range. Just to add my 3lt turbo diesel prado owned and cared for from new having every service at 5000 or 3000 when towing needed a new fuel pump, turbo and injectors before it hit 200000. I've seen many problems way before that on prado point forum with the newer higher pressure diesels so feel ready to try a different make.

A car that keeps coming up which I'm almost a bit embarrassed to ask about is the Hyundai Santa Fe. This seems to come in well above average in every review I've found, it's power and torque 145 kw 465 Nm are also well above most not to mention fantastic fuel economy. Boatsales have a review under the towing test that describe it as easely towing a 5.65 boat plus adults on a 3000k journey very well.

Like many of us with family's much of our driving is running all over the place dropping kids to sports events, after school music lessons and just doing the shopping etc. For me that range tends to be further due to one of mine competing in triathlons etc all over NSW so good economy is a must. As mentioned earlier my boat (5m rib with a 119 kg f70 Yam) is pretty lightweight and I have no intensions of going back into bigger boats again. I do tow my boat from one end to the other of this country but rarely tackle seriouse 4x4.

A fishing buddy has given me second offer on one of his trayback tritons (first offer to one of his workers) which would just be paying off the balance owing as he's closing his business. There's also a second triton locally with low km and a fibre glass canopy that looks and sounds good. There's also a 2012 Colorado in Woolongong that sounds like it's worth a look and lastly there's a 2013 low km Hyundai hidden away inland south of me close to where my daughter has a triathlon this weekend.

Jon

I think people need to get over the brand.Hyundai have some very decent cars these days for a fair price.We have horses and some of the horse people we know tow horses and caravans with those Hyundai Santa fa you mention and have done so for years.

The ones I've talked to are happy with their cars and the economy they get.

I use to cop it when I had my Daewoo.People would say remarks like,Why did you buy a Daewoo?It won't make 100k?The electrics in those Korean cars are crap?Etc,etc.Well guess what?I had that car for 16years and did nearly 400,000k and never even replaced a globe in it the whole time I had it electric wise.Yes,by then it was getting long in the tooth but it have me years of fuss free motoring an did everything I needed plus more.

Those same idiots driving "better" brands like Mazdas,Toyotas,Nissans etc had to be saved more times than I can remember by me driving my Daewoo when they broke down.

Hopefully I get that same service from my Kia Cerato.

The only true way you'll know is to do your research and take the plunge mate.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

The Hyundai Santa Fe is well regarded and gets good reviews and will certainly tow 1.2 T. Actually you have lots of choices with that towing weight - you don't even need a 4wd as a Falcon or Commodore will handle that easily.

PS: You said 1.2 T up to 1.5T packed. It's not a good idea to use your boat as a trailer, especially on a long trip at highway speeds. It's a good idea to get the actual weight on a weighbridge too. There can be serious implications if you have an accident and the rig is overweight either for the tow vehicle or the trailer. 

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

The Hyundai Santa Fe is well regarded and gets good reviews and will certainly tow 1.2 T. Actually you have lots of choices with that towing weight - you don't even need a 4wd as a Falcon or Commodore will handle that easily.

PS: You said 1.2 T up to 1.5T packed. It's not a good idea to use your boat as a trailer, especially on a long trip at highway speeds. It's a good idea to get the actual weight on a weighbridge too. There can be serious implications if you have an accident and the rig is overweight either for the tow vehicle or the trailer. 

Cheers for that but the boat just gets filled with wetsuits and bulky light things like roll matts etc, the boat also has a heavy duty trailor.

Its still handy to have the option of all wheel drive on slippy ramps but probably not so much low range.

As for the Kia and Hyundai I noticed the demand for these in small cars meant there were very few on the market when we were after a small car. We ended up getting a small secondhand Toyota Yaris which the auto gearbox failed on soon after buying:D so we then bought a small Ford Focus which is having auto gearbox issues worldwide and currently under some huge legal battle with. So as you can see I'm trying to research as much as possible after having some pretty costly experiences of late!!!!

Thanks again Jon

Hi Jon.

I am a bit biased because I have 2 of them, but you really can't go past a landcruiser mate.

I have a 4.5ltr turbo diesel ute for work, which I do things to that you should never put a ute through, & a 105 series glx wagon.

I was close to buying a Prado instead of the wagon, but had heard about the problems they have.

I simply can't fault them. They are the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

I'm sure you could find a 2nd hand great diesel or turbo deisel glx 80 or 100 series cruiser wagon around the $25k mark that won't let you down.

They will tow anything, have 8 seats & are are built like tanks. Maybe not as fuel efficient as you would like, but it's a small price to pay for reliability.

Good luck in your search

On 21/03/2017 at 10:23 AM, kingfishbig said:

The 2017 Pajero still has the same 3.2L engine. You must be thinking of the Pajero Sport which is a totally different vehicle and has a 2.4L engine. I am not sure what your reference to the Triton means.

I purchased a brand new Pajero Sport last year. It has a 3.1 tonne towing capacity and a 2.4 Turbo Diesel engine.

I tow my Quintrex 560 Freedom Sport with no issues at all. It's a beautiful car to drive and you get a lot more bang for your buck than you do with some bigger brands. The interior feels more like a car than a boxy 4WD....LOVE MY MITSY!! :D

Guest Guest123456789

NRMA just released best AWD 50 to $65000 for 2017. Swordys discovery won it, the Kia Sorrento got second and the Santa Fe you're looking at Jon did well coming in third. Understand you're looking at used Jon but still good to know I think.

IMG_1617.JPG

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

10 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

NRMA just released best AWD 50 to $65000 for 2017. Swordys discovery won it, the Kia Sorrento got second and the Santa Fe you're looking at Jon did well coming in third. Understand you're looking at used Jon but still good to know I think.

IMG_1617.JPG

I hadn't really considered them as I thought they were to highly priced but they seem to be within the budget for 2009-2012 models.

I must admit having family in the U.K. Who owned land rovers on the farm and uncles who were caravaners I've always been put off them due to reliability issues and high service costs they had back there (but that was 20+ years ago).

Jon

Whatever tow vehicle you choose.

Before you part with the money and make the plunge Id be doing a google search on=

Im having problems with my (insert your choice here)

And the search will locate everything about problems with the said vehicle.

And how to fix.

Google is a wealth of knowledge on anything.

I use it to design and build things all the time.

As well as finding problems with vehicles ,boats, computers, powertools,  etc etc.

and fixing them myself saving thousands of $$$$$$$$$

Cheers

Edited by Trailcraft43