Three years to get my first marlin

NaClH2OK9

Hi, those who know me, will know that for the last couple of years my fishing habits have become a little obsessive. Once a happy bottom basher and fisho with a desire to catch a feed, I was introduced to game fishing. My life changed and the pursuit of a bigger fish consumed me. Hours and dollars passed until a couple of weeks ago I was the proud holder of a fat spear fish. Now this obsession doesn't end with a first fish and so a week later I'm back out crewing my regular lake Mac boat on the newcastle game fishing club comp. 

I'd caught my spear the previous week so was on tag and bill for the next one and happy to see a different side from staring at the back of the boat and watching the lures for hours. 

A day of trolling for zero saw us finally hit a big school of bait low down and all lines came in to change tactics. 

We soon had a dozen livies in the tank and the biggest specimen you would believe. It was quickly rigged and dropped to 40 hands. 

After 10 minutes the rod loaded up and my mate was on... I'm not going to draw this out but a 110kg black played with my buddy for 1.5 hours dancing around the boat. It was spectacular and only spoilt by losing the fish before we could get a tag in it. 

My mate and the rest if us were gutted. It was the first marlin I'd seen next to the boat and a memory I'll never forget. But in true game style. Lines straight back in.... It took 5 mins for the next rod to go and as I looked at my exhausted friend he said you take it. 

I counted 10 and slowly pushed the lever to strike and felt some weight. 

It wast too aggressive and the wind in was easy untill... The fish realised lunch wasn't free. Tbh we got the fish to the boat pretty quick perhaps only 30 mins of me shouting who's ya daddy. 

But there she was. My first marlin. 

I don't remember the last flathead I caught. But I'll never forget my first marlin. 

IMG-20170312-WA0001.jpg

Edited by NaClH2OK9

That's a great result Steve, one you can never forget.........  But it doesn't help the addiction, oh no, now I need more lures, better rods, even better reels, bigger boat, ahhhhhhhh got to love it.

Dave

well done mate...you won't forget that 1st one...now you will be aiming to do the trifecta...black/striped/blue...good luck...catching a marlin is one of best and hardest thing to do...90% boredom...10% mayhem...always a team effort...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job and well done m8 , im still after my 1st.....im reasonable new  to the game fishing side of things and thought its close to the end of the marlin  fishing and heading  into tuna time ? ....any advice  from more experienced gameos would  be appreciated ?

4 minutes ago, luvbigfish said:

Fantastic job and well done m8 , im still after my 1st.....im reasonable new  to the game fishing side of things and thought its close to the end of the marlin  fishing and heading  into tuna time ? ....any advice  from more experienced gameos would  be appreciated ?

Couple of stripes caught last weekend wide of the shelf, but it is normally the time of the year when it has slowed right down- mind you it has been a slow season off Sydney for me anyway- only 1 black

I think it was October last year when we were chasing tuna out of Ulladullah, a week late as usual, when we came across a striped on the surface just east of the JB Canyons. Another boat we were talking to said they'd also seen one on the way out just inside the JB Canyons. 

Last season was a good long season though

Yeah Oct 2015 I went 4-3-1 on stripes including a double hookup in 70Fthm off Sydney, left the bite at 2pm to do school pickup and saw another 3 freeswimmers on the way home- stripes can certainly be year round if the conditions are right