Help starting 2 stroke 70hp 80's Evinrude

f1ra5

Hi All! New to boating here! I just have a question and would love your expert advice. I have a 80's 70HP evinrude engine and I seem to have a very hard time cold starting her! My procedure is have the engine tilted down fully, primer bulb until hard, raise idle all the way up, press key in for choke and try cranking for about 3 to 4 seconds then stop. Then try again. I try about 20 times then give up! It just doesnt want to start. People are saying my choke technique is wrong but I dont know what I'm doing wrong. Last time I had a guy at the boat ramp start her up for me, once shes warm, she starts fine first time every time. Just the cold start is an issue! 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !! :)

had a couple of 70 n85s  push key in but listen if choke solenoid is throwin butterflys shut..then lift hand throttle up and down while turning key like pumping an accelerator..turn key for up to twenty or thirty secs if needed..3/4 secs not long enough..rick

Thanks for your reply guys! I will try turning the key while choke is on for 20 or so secs rather than just 3 or 4 secs. All juices are fresh, one thing I did notice was my standing voltage is at 12.21v

1 hour ago, f1ra5 said:

Thanks for your reply guys! I will try turning the key while choke is on for 20 or so secs rather than just 3 or 4 secs. All juices are fresh, one thing I did notice was my standing voltage is at 12.21v

A battery at 12.21 volts is only around 60%charged.Try fully charging the battery if it will hold a charge and try again.Do you notice it cranks slower than usual?The battery at that level of charge could be giving you a weak spark.

Its good practice to start with a fully charged battery when diagnosing a no start condition.

If you have compression,air,fuel and spark it should at least attempt to start.

Cheers.

Usually old outboards you keep the throttle closed. So it sucks the fuel through. 

Then hit the choke and turn over till it fires.

Dont use choke anymore now. (Its sucked fuel through ok now)

Using choke anymore now will flood it. 

Then turnover and add a bit of throttle

And it should fire and start running.

Edited by Trailcraft43

I had an old 88 engine doing the same. Hard to start first thing then perfect all day. My guess is it's not getting the fuel it needs to start when it's been left for an extended time. I know you pump the primer until its hard, but try this- get someone to continually pump the primer bulb while you turn over the engine. 

Try that next time and it would be good to get back here and tell us how it went. Not many people ever do. 

Step 1: Make sure the battery is fully charged, any battery shop or good mechanic can load test the battery, our local will do that and even put it on charge over night to ensure its properly charged.

Step2: Make sure all electrical connections are cleaned and corrosion removed

Step 3: Do a compression test, check the spark plugs are clean, working and the right plug type and heat range($20 replace them if unsure of age or condition)

Step 4: Check the carby for air leaks, fuel leaks and operation

Step%: Check the fuel hose if pumping enough fuel, i had one that the bulb had started to collapse and even though the bulb felt hard there was only a little fuel flowing through until it started and the motor took over the pumping.

P.s

One or two squirts of starter fluid isn't going to damage the old engine, there will be that much lube in the system and your not running your motor on it,

After it starts its running on oil and petrol, plus its less dangerous than trying to squirt a fuel mix into the carby, one quick spray and turn the key.

But best to check the above and repair the fault than cover it with a starting fluid, but the fluid might help in diagnosis if all of the above checks out.

Edited by jeffb5.8

It's probably all been covered, but I used to have an early 90's 60 hp Johnson.  This also had the push key in choke.

When I first got motor I was told to push key in and turn to start.  Didn't take long to work out that I flooded it every time.

For me the following worked. On cold start always have fully charged battery. Pump fuel primer bulb.  Turn key with no choke, if no start check primer bulb still hard. Turn key and while holding key press it in (choke) only for two or three seconds. Repeat process and as soon as you hear it kick leave the choke alone. 

This is worked for me - your situation might be different. 

Hey guys thanks for all your messages. I have a feeling I'm flooding it every single time! I tried starting her up today and had no luck! I noticed that fuel started dripping out so I'm pretty sure it is flooded. 

Shakey55, how did you know it was flooded? did it leak out petrol from anywhere like mine? 

I've uploaded a short video on youtube of my engine fuel leaking, I'm choking too much and primering too much I think?? 

Edited by f1ra5