ID required on these two fish please.(Fan Belly Leatherjacket and Spangled Emperor,Juvenile)

snatcher

Question

11 answers to this question

First one is a Fanbelly Leatherjacket.  Monacanthus chinensis.

And the Second is a Juvenile Spangled Emperor. Lethrinus nebulous.

My reason for the Emperor is you can see the blue spots starting to appear on the side where Grassys I believe don't have them.

Thats my guess.

Edited by Blackfish

Hi John, how's the trip down under going this time? Haven't heard much from you. Don't tell me the fish are wising up to your Pommie fishing tactics, at last. Good to see you getting among some proper fish lad. Cheers, Neil.

14 hours ago, noelm said:

Spangled Emperor and Grassy are often confused, that one looks more like a Spangled, but a bit hard to tell from that angle, either are very good eating, min size I think is 30cm?

Still calling grassy - they tend to be darker than the spangles, no min size in NSW- either way great little fighters and good chewing too

Thanks for the feedback chaps,most appreciated.  That makes 46 species in 6 ozzie trips now.  Its getting much harder to add to the list now !!!

Back in Warriewood now and have 4 weeks left on this current trip.  Anyone want to take this old pommie bar steward out on a trip just shout up :D Mind you the language barrier may be a problem !!!!:lol:  I am broad Geordie (Newcastle NE area of England)

I sound Scottish to most ozzies ;)

Never caught a salmon,jewie,shark or gamefish yet

Kind regards

John