Carpeted Aluminium Bench Seats

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

After slipping in bare wet metal too many times and taking some nice deep gouges out of my shins I finally carpeted the bench seats and live bait tank.

I used Selleys kwik grip contact adhesive spray ($20) and 1 x 2 metre marine carpet ($30). The only tools needed were a Stanley knife and scissors. Took 3 hours approx.

Hopefully it won't peel up. Has anyone else had problems? I followed directions and have weight on top of the carpet while the glue sets. It's meant to be ok up to 70 degrees.

Super happy with the results. Slightly annoying the colour doesn't match exactly but hey it's a fishing boat not a worm of art!! 

Cheers,

Luke

7FB791DE-8CB4-4AB3-825E-4BC5FDEF23A9.jpg

Guest Guest123456789
13 minutes ago, noelm said:

It will stick fine, I find when doing right angles, like the seat edges, just use a heat gun to heat the carpet (carefully) then bend it and hold it till it cools, it will stay bent, and make gluing a breeze. Did you get the carpet from a reputable boat place? some of the cheaper stuff at hardware stores and discount places will fall to bits pretty quick compared to proper marine carpet.

Thanks Noel, I certainly hope it does hold. Good tip about the heat gun. I got it from the big fishing store at Erina, it looked good quality, feels nice and thick and hopefully hard wearing. We shall soon find out 

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

After slipping in bare wet metal too many times and taking some nice deep gouges out of my shins I finally carpeted the bench seats and live bait tank.

I used Selleys kwik grip contact adhesive spray ($20) and 1 x 2 metre marine carpet ($30). The only tools needed were a Stanley knife and scissors. Took 3 hours approx.

Hopefully it won't peel up. Has anyone else had problems? I followed directions and have weight on top of the carpet while the glue sets. It's meant to be ok up to 70 degrees.

Super happy with the results. Slightly annoying the colour doesn't match exactly but hey it's a fishing boat not a worm of art!! 

Cheers,

Luke

7FB791DE-8CB4-4AB3-825E-4BC5FDEF23A9.jpg

Good on ya for having a crack.If your worried and want to dress the edges a little use some ally angle strips on the corners for that finished look.

Another option is grip tape in future everywhere you walk.

I've had mine on for 6 years now on my boat/trailer.

good job.

Guest Guest123456789
7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Good on ya for having a crack.If your worried and want to dress the edges a little use some ally angle strips on the corners for that finished look.

Another option is grip tape in future everywhere you walk.

I've had mine on for 6 years now on my boat/trailer.

good job.

Thanks Fab, the angle strips are a good idea I should have got some. And the grip tape I might put in the trailer, its greasier than a butchers willy. What adhesive did you use to keep it in place?

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks Fab, the angle strips are a good idea I should have got some. And the grip tape I might put in the trailer, its greasier than a butchers willy. What adhesive did you use to keep it in place?

The grip tape is self adhesive and comes in various widths on a roll.Simply peel the backing and adhere to the trailer.

Use solvent to ensure your trailer is clean before adhering tape(I used wax & grease)but turps,metho will do at a pinch.

We won't be the first or last that has slipped on a boat/trailer with wet slippery feet.

Cheers.

Quick grip doesnt have great water resistance but should be OK for a while. Key thing is make sure the aluminium is degreased, clean and then given a light sand- most of the time that will give you a decent bond to the Al

• 5 months later...