Yarramundi Fishing

procro

So the family and I went down to Yarramundi to do some fishing. We got there around 7 and I planned to go for some bass using the X-rap xr-6 lure I purchased recently hoping to catch my first one. Within an hour or so I got it caught on something submerged in the rapids and lost it so I joined the family for some carp fishing on bead and corn. That was a bust as well :angry: I think it might have been from the recent storms making the river murky. I also heard that the tournament up the river was a bust as well, hopefully the river clears up sometime soon!

Shame about the lure mate!

I don't know about a tournament on the river over the weekend, but there was one at the end of February that saw a lot of fish caught. In yarramundi I've found the carp are on more of a night time than during the day!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Yeah I've had similar luck lately, given up until the water clears up a bit and sorts itself out. Alot of weed has been pushed downstream making it difficult to throw lures. Better off trying the section between the freeway bridge and victoria bridge in emu plains for bass, plenty of school bass from 15-25cm which are alot of fun

Spot on, Jpearse. It's not so much how murky the water is (with all the rain, water testing's showing that the pollution has all been pushed down the river past the weir), it's more how quickly the water is moving with the raised water levels. The mullet have all but shut down completely.

Bass on the other hand, if you can find spots with less weeds floating around, should still be pretty active. They like hiding in shelter, and aren't affected so much by the water movement.

Cheers,

Wellzy

21 hours ago, Jpearse1 said:

Yeah I've had similar luck lately, given up until the water clears up a bit and sorts itself out. Alot of weed has been pushed downstream making it difficult to throw lures. Better off trying the section between the freeway bridge and victoria bridge in emu plains for bass, plenty of school bass from 15-25cm which are alot of fun

That's definitely the case mate, I might have a go some time soon further up where the water is of better quality for the bass. Hopefully the weather keeps up and the water clears. 

21 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Spot on, Jpearse. It's not so much how murky the water is (with all the rain, water testing's showing that the pollution has all been pushed down the river past the weir), it's more how quickly the water is moving with the raised water levels. The mullet have all but shut down completely.

Bass on the other hand, if you can find spots with less weeds floating around, should still be pretty active. They like hiding in shelter, and aren't affected so much by the water movement.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Thanks for the info! Hopefully we could head out sometime soon to get my first bass!!!

40 years ago I lived in winmalee and I used to go fishing down at the bridge. We used to catch some great perch down there. Mind you that was then and I am sure it has all changed by now. Used to catch a lot of yabbies around the creeks at winmalee too. Bit of cotton with meat tied to it. So much fun but they did stink when you cooked them. 

Great memories. 

8 hours ago, harold said:

40 years ago I lived in winmalee and I used to go fishing down at the bridge. We used to catch some great perch down there. Mind you that was then and I am sure it has all changed by now. Used to catch a lot of yabbies around the creeks at winmalee too. Bit of cotton with meat tied to it. So much fun but they did stink when you cooked them. 

Great memories. 

I knew we had a connection Harold! I lived in Winmalee for 20 years and own a business there! 

Done a fair bit of fishing at Yarramundi myself and with the family! Nice little spot to sneak down too on a Sunday morning! There's fish there but temperamental at times! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Jeff that is staggering. I lived there from circa 1973 to 1983 or thereabouts. Lived in Muru Ave, the street next to the nursery on Hawkesbury Road. When I lived there we were the second house to be built. Now i believe it is all built out. It was a great place to live and bring up kids but i formed the conclusion after 10 years that if you lived in the mountains you needed to work in the mountains. The trip to Sydney just became too wearing day after day.

Haven't even bothered for the last few weeks as the river has seen better days!

If the water goes back to the greeny colour you should have more of a chance.

Try pushing further upstream if possible.

Cheers,

Paul..

3 hours ago, p-ziller said:

Haven't even bothered for the last few weeks as the river has seen better days!

If the water goes back to the greeny colour you should have more of a chance.

Try pushing further upstream if possible.

Cheers,

Paul..

Cheers Paul I'll have a go some time soon and write up a report. Would you have any spots further up that I could have a go at?