Yak storage

Rah

G'day Raiders,

Finally have a garage to store my yaks in and was wondering what you guys do,  before I build/buy any yak storage holders.

Have been thinking about either wall mounts or ceiling slings or good old just up in the corner. 

What have you found works the best?

Up until now they have just been up the side of my folks house. 

Cheers

Tara

Hey Tara,

I'm curious about this as well. Our neighbours are currently doing renovations which leave our back carport fenced off, but plan on having yak storage there once it's all finished. I was planning on hanging slings with a pulley system from the framework of the carport, so I can get it up and down easily. But it'd be great to hear how everyone else has theirs done!

Cheers,
Wellzy

Wall mounts for 2 yaks. Allows me to put things under the yaks. Problem is wall mounts keep detaching from the wall. So currently trying an improvement. Ceiling slings would potentially better if you want to park your car in the garage.

i keep my kayak on top of the fridge - for real, I simply have nowhere else to put it.

But, I have a friend who had a sling and pulley set up over a car space. It was great. Pop the yak in the slings, pull it up to the ceiling, tie it off and it's out of the way - super easy.

dynabolt, how can you be called dynabolt and have wall mounts that pull out !!

8 hours ago, HenryR said:

dynabolt, how can you be called dynabolt and have wall mounts that pull out !!

Hee hee

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the slings. Not sure I'll get the outlander in with them up though as they will have to sit inter metal beams. Mazda 3 should fit though. 

Are the fleebay ones any good?

I have a high ceiling in my garage and have been storing my kayak in there on a pulley system for 6 years. I got one of the Fleebay ones but there are two weight ratings I kept on coming across and I bought the heavier rated ones (60kg and not 40kg). Soon as they came in I got rid of the cheap dynabolts that came with it and bought some genuine ones. I didn't want to come into the garage one day to find that my kayak was even more keen than me and had already thrown itself into place on top of my car.

The pulley system uses a friction lock so to lower the kayak pull down on one of the two lines and then ease off on the second and then repeat for the first otherwise you will damage the ropes. I lower mine on to two old life jackets and then carry it out to the car otherwise I have to do a lot of awkward flipping of the kayak inside my garage.

3 hours ago, Rah said:

Thanks guys. Think I'll go the slings :)

Next you'll need to make one of these Rah.

Also make sure whatever you use the brackets/hardware are secured firmly.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Next you'll need to make one of these Rah.

Also make sure whatever you use the brackets/hardware are secured firmly.

Cheers.

Not bad Fab. I have been looking into some side loaders as I'm slightly vertically challenged at 5' haha

29 minutes ago, Rah said:

Not bad Fab. I have been looking into some side loaders as I'm slightly vertically challenged at 5' haha

How have you been getting it to and fro from the water?Do you live waterfront?Have help chucking it on/off the car and drive to the water?

7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

How have you been getting it to and fro from the water?Do you live waterfront?Have help chucking it on/off the car and drive to the water?

Both. Broughton mill creek runs through my folks property and that's where I get bass, yaks have been stored there until last week. Otherwise the misus usually comes with me and we wack them both on the car. 

4 hours ago, Rah said:

Both. Broughton mill creek runs through my folks property and that's where I get bass, yaks have been stored there until last week. Otherwise the misus usually comes with me and we wack them both on the car. 

That creek would of come in handy for sure.Not familiar with kayaks as I've never had one but know they weigh a fair bit.

Have you thought about a simple roller on the rear of the car and placing the front of the kayak on that then sliding her on that way?

Just a thougt.

8 hours ago, Fab1 said:

That creek would of come in handy for sure.Not familiar with kayaks as I've never had one but know they weigh a fair bit.

Have you thought about a simple roller on the rear of the car and placing the front of the kayak on that then sliding her on that way?

Just a thougt.

Honestly I haven't seen one that would work but I'm not super mechanically minded. 

48 minutes ago, Rah said:

Honestly I haven't seen one that would work but I'm not super mechanically minded. 

The 3 options I can suggest are:

1-This is a very simple solution to get your kayak on the roof racks by yourself. Get yourself one of those rubber backed carpeted shower or door mats and drape it over the back of the cars roof onto the glass.If you can get the front up on the carpet it's then simply a matter of picking the rear up and sliding it on the carpet forward.Use a small step ladder/milk crate etc for that final push if you have to being a shorter person.

2-Buy some 40-50mm pvc pipe,90deg elbows and two tee pieces and make yourself up a rectangular frame to slide underneath your roof racks leaving about a foot over hanging the roof of the car.

you'll place the kayak on this using the method above.

3-This option is more involved but not impossible.Using a boat roller and cradle you can magnetise the base and cover the magnets in felt to prevent scratching your duco and placing it on the roof of your car when needed and loading as above or you could semi/permanently have it mounted to a frame made to suit your roof racks which is more involved again.

There's a few options that won't break the bank.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, Fab1 said:

The 3 options I can suggest are:

1-This is a very simple solution to get your kayak on the roof racks by yourself. Get yourself one of those rubber backed carpeted shower or door mats and drape it over the back of the cars roof onto the glass.If you can get the front up on the carpet it's then simply a matter of picking the rear up and sliding it on the carpet forward.Use a small step ladder/milk crate etc for that final push if you have to being a shorter person.

2-Buy some 40-50mm pvc pipe,90deg elbows and two tee pieces and make yourself up a rectangular frame to slide underneath your roof racks leaving about a foot over hanging the roof of the car.

you'll place the kayak on this using the method above.

3-This option is more involved but not impossible.Using a boat roller and cradle you can magnetise the base and cover the magnets in felt to prevent scratching your duco and placing it on the roof of your car when needed and loading as above or you could semi/permanently have it mounted to a frame made to suit your roof racks which is more involved again.

There's a few options that won't break the bank.

Cheers.

Thanks Fab. I'll definitely be looking into these. Would help heaps. 

:)

I'll try number 1 first. 

Just now, Lungfai76 said:

Got a towball? I have an RTL001 sitting about the garage that I can offload if you are interested. Upgraded to a NKL so no longer need the RTL001. 

I'm assuming that's a trailer? No towball. But thank you. Appreciate the offer. :)

Naw not a trailer, it a rear T load bar that helps load kayaks onto cars.....pain in the backside with the FJ but the outlander is small so would work well. Shame you don't have a towball.

As for storage for the Yak, roof sling best option, keeps it out of sight from sticky hands and is very convenient when it's time to do some maintenance, modifications and general cleaning.

4 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Naw not a trailer, it a rear T load bar that helps load kayaks onto cars.....pain in the backside with the FJ but the outlander is small so would work well. Shame you don't have a towball.

As for storage for the Yak, roof sling best option, keeps it out of sight from sticky hands and is very convenient when it's time to do some maintenance, modifications and general cleaning.

Ahhh of course. My mother in law has one that she never uses as its too difficult on her Colorado, so only ever takes her small yak out.  Haha. 

Just got to buy some and they will be in the air.