FISHRAIDER HAS BEEN SAVED :)

6 minutes ago, big Neil said:

This is great news! What we need to do now folks is show a little faith and support. We don't know what decisions have been made, nor why. It's too early for everyone to be jumping ship when there's the mention of a (possible) fee being applied.

We live in a "user pays" society. Nowhere can we get something for nothing, any more. Think about all the things that you do pay for, at the moment. We have ALL enjoyed access to this site "free of charge". That has been one of lifes' bonuses!

Now we need to wait and see how things pan out and THEN make a decision on what each of us is going to do. I, for one, will be staying. What I said, and how I felt, when news of its closure surfaced, was a true reflection of my feelings. I have received

far more from being on here than I've given. BN

You couldn't have said it any better mate.You really have a way with words.

13 minutes ago, big Neil said:

This is great news! What we need to do now folks is show a little faith and support. We don't know what decisions have been made, nor why. It's too early for everyone to be jumping ship when there's the mention of a (possible) fee being applied.

We live in a "user pays" society. Nowhere can we get something for nothing, any more. Think about all the things that you do pay for, at the moment. We have ALL enjoyed access to this site "free of charge". That has been one of lifes' bonuses!

Now we need to wait and see how things pan out and THEN make a decision on what each of us is going to do. I, for one, will be staying. What I said, and how I felt, when news of its closure surfaced, was a true reflection of my feelings. I have received

far more from being on here than I've given. BN

Well said big neil

54 minutes ago, amkr said:

While its good the site is set to remain open.
I will not be paying an annual fee to maintain my membership here, regardless of how modest the fee is.

As someone with a background in building and maintaining web platforms similar to this, I cannot see any rational reason for the introduction of an annual fee.

Goodluck to you, but I will not be continuing my membership.

Serious??

3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

You couldn't have said it any better mate.You really have a way with words.

Just as you have a way with tools, ideas and skills. Good news eh, Fabian? BN

I guess,but I still wish I could be much better with my English skills particularly in the punctuation and expressing myself department.

I don't post much, but get so much joy from reading all the archives and new posts on this forum.

I was ready to give-up fishing all together when I read the forum was going down! What a rollercoaster of emotions!

On a more serious note - I'm one of those 'lurkers' who will happily donate a few dollars.

'The king is dead, long live the KING'

Just an idea but instead of charging an annual fee, how about asking for donors to the site, I'm sure there would be heaps of loyal members that would donate heaps more than any modest membership fee and in the long run the site could get much needed financial support without an annual fee.

However it's done I'm just glad the site will remain open, I've seen far to many fishing sites close their doors.

Stewy and Donna If there is anything I can do personally just ask, I am will to do the extra yards for the site.

Frank

Edited by frankS

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Donna and Stewy, good to hear that the site is not closing down, but if you start to charge an annual membership fee, no matter how 'modest', I think that you will lose a lot of your members. There are too many free options available on the web. 

Good luck and hope that everything works out for you guys.

Other options?

As far as I've been able to see, this is the ONLY real option for active fishing forum in Australia. I have seen the others and they are practically dead compared to fishraider.

I'm glad it is going to stay open. I was actually considering getting hosting and restarting the forum but this is going to be a much cheaper option for me so I'm very glad.

Here is a tip though: dont host photos! you could save a lot of money on web hosting if you dont host photos but get people to upload to imgur or something

Edited by BrassRoots
info

Guest stephanb79
1 hour ago, sam bros said:

Such good news to hear it's not closing 

thank you stewy and Donna for all your work 

I know it's not easy and your doing your best to keep the site going

Although I won't be happy, I still would pay to be a part of such a great community 

and I think we need to hear the full story on what is happening before we jump to conclusions 

Very good question we need to hear the full story and I only have two questions . Why do we have to pay for membership?? 

And if we do what do the members get for it ?? 

We all just have to wait and see what they have in plan for us 

Edited by stephanb79
?

It appears all this has caused quite a stir, lol...

To be honest, I probably wouldn't join a forum if it entailed ongoing membership fees.

That said, I spend $4.50 a pop on a coffee several times a week, so...

In the big scheme of things, if you value the service provided, and if being a part of the forum is important to you, then it's not all bad.

Interested to hear the full details in due course.

It is fantastic news. I had never thought about how the bills get paid on Fishraider for Internet hosting, web site development and all the other costs such a site incurs. I wonder if anyone has thought about Donna and Stewie working from 6 to 12 hours a day on the site moderating, fixing problems etc. out of the love of Fishraider and us, it's members.

I for one would pay to stay in the fishraider group and benefit from whatever the new changes bring with them. I belong to the Ulysses club and pay $100 each 3 years and that provides nothing like the enjoyment or belonging like Fishraider does. I take my hat off to both these guys and the moderators who work so tirelessly to keep this site decent. It is a site I happily allow my 13 year old on without having to worry that some intellectually challenged person is going to sprout filth and garbage in type.

Edited by harold

1 minute ago, stephanb79 said:

Very good question we need to hear the full story and I only have two questions . Why do we have to pay for membership?? 

And if we do what do the members get for it ?? 

We all just have to wait and see what they have in plan for us 

stephanb79 most people will have a similar experience with no change on here. The membership fee will be optional in other words you can join the club or not. Your decision! There is no "full story".

Those that pay the veryyyyyyyy modest annual fee will have benefits. The fee will cover a family.

I am sure that no-one expects us to pay from our own pockets to keep this forum going. We are retired and do not get an income. We have been carrying this forum for 13 years with blood, sweat and tears.

If anyone else wants to have a convo about this feel free to message me. If anyone wants to be removed from the fishraider community let me know now ;)

Now lets get on with planning our next social or get out and fish and post some reports!!!

11 minutes ago, foolforjesus said:

It appears all this has caused quite a stir, lol...

To be honest, I probably wouldn't join a forum if it entailed ongoing membership fees.

That said, I spend $4.50 a pop on a coffee several times a week, so...

In the big scheme of things, if you value the service provided, and if being a part of the forum is important to you, then it's not all bad.

Interested to hear the full details in due course.

Wow your week's worth of coffees would pay for almost 2 memberships here on fishraider! Have one week off coffee and there you go :)

It is all about value as you said.

Fantastic news guys :), as mentioned, the amount of fish that myself and mates have caught from reports when fish are on, spots we have  fished that are other fisho's GPS marks that have been shared, to tips on rigs, gear, etc etc etc is what makes this site unique and a site I am proud to be a member of , the least we could do is to contribute something back to the people that provide this service for us.

Gareth :)

TO ALL THE POOPOOERS HOW MUCH ARE MAN HRS WORTH THESE DAYS..HOW MANY HRS GO INTO RUNNING A FORUM LIKE THIS????...SIGN ME UP AND IL PAY HAPPILLY..WHO WANTS TO DRIVE THRU TRAFFIC TO GO TO A TACKLE SHOP TO ASK A QUESTION WHEN YOU CAN PRESS A BUTTON WHILE HAVN A BEER ON THE LOUNGE..THEN THERE IS BOATING QUESTIONS.UP TO DATE REPORTS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.AND SO MUCH MORE....IMO IF YOU ARNT HAPPY PAYING A SMALL TARIFF FOR AN INTERNET SERVICE LIKE THIS YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT SPIRIT TO BE A RAIDER...RICK

2 hours ago, amkr said:

While its good the site is set to remain open.
I will not be paying an annual fee to maintain my membership here, regardless of how modest the fee is.

As someone with a background in building and maintaining web platforms similar to this, I cannot see any rational reason for the introduction of an annual fee.

Goodluck to you, but I will not be continuing my membership.

It starts off as a small fee then it will increase, Mark seems to know what he is talking about. I will wait and see.

That is absolutely fantastic news and of course i am more than willing to pay a membership fee

why am i willing to pay a membership fee -because the tiny cost associated with membership provides me with access to a wealth of knowledge relating to tackle, boating, fishing and everything under the sun remotely related to our collective addiction. We post reports we share knowledge and moments

If anyone who has been a member of this forum for even a short period of time cant see the "bang for your buck" bargain they are getting then that is unfortunate, and thats not even taking into consideration the lack of appreciation for swordies and mod teams hard work over the years FREE OF CHARGE. 

Edited by GoingFishing

This is great news sign me up. I don't have a problem paying a fee to be a member . The site owners have been great and have  given up so much to keep this site afloat. Hats off to Mrs Swordfisherman and Stewy . 

For the other guys that have an issue with fees I just think you just have to have a better think about it.:D

Troy

Edited by Converted 2

I value the time of the people who run this site, as well as my own time enough to invest in whatever fee structure is put forward.  If it means one less packet of plastics or such per month that's just fine by me!  Thanks Fishraider & I look forward to joining you on the water (and hopefully at one of the socials) soon enough!

Guest Guest123456789

Boy some people are seriously tight!!! Bloody hell I doubt the fee is going to break the bank! It's a valuable service you're getting!

People do hate one off costs. The way to go is offer free one month trials but to create an account you need to provide credit card details. Then a monthly subscription kicks in if you don't opt out. Spotify, Netflix, a shop etc all use this method.

Youll find you probably get more members  offering free trials than charging $4 per month than charging annual membership of $20 per year!!

Im glad to hear FR will carry on.  As has been stated above, the amount of money we go through on fishing gear im sure we can find the coin to support the site! I know it's not for everyone, but it is sad think we will loose notable and long term members. I know there's alternatives, but before departing due to a fee, consider how bummed we were when we heard it was closing down. Clearly even we know the alternatives arent on par!

Goodluck FR and the swordies!