FISHRAIDER HAS BEEN SAVED :)

Fantastic News Indeed !!!

I didn't know of any other place I could log into, and basically relive my early 20's Fishing NSW Sth Coast regions.

I am so pleased that Fishraider will continue into the future !!!

Great_White

Stewy & Donna,

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes ... from sadness to joy. It's the right progression/evolution for the site I think. For the amount of learning, camaraderie and support I've got from the site I don't think a small fee is even enough! Even though I don't read and post as much nowadays, I'll still support the site for being there when I needed it and see that it does the same for the new ranks of anglers just starting out or rediscovering their love of the sport.

Where do I sign up ... :D. You can consider adding one-off donations too in addition to the regular access fee. I 'donate' sometimes to Wikipedia because they provide a useful information service which I use regularly. You can add a 'Donor' badge to recognise donors if you want to take it further and add donor tiers, similar to the posting tiers which are related to fish species. Whatever you come up with, I'll be there to support it!

Great news

I spoke with Donna a few years ago and had no idea of the money and sacrifice that goes into this keeping this site free. I have benefited immanency over the years so I am happy to pay a small fee. 

Come to think about it this could become a game changer for other sites. If Donna is successful in introducing a small fee other sites will follow.

I consider this I read a post know where the fish are go to those spots and catch fish. Alternative is not knowing where the fish are float around no fish.

I can see many benefits with the site having a little money in the bank. Smart move Donna

dogbox

Count me in for membership fees,  if any MEMBER isnt prepared to pay a membership fee i say we are probably better off without them,  i believe memberships will encourage members to use the forum more and to participate more ,  it can only be a good thing , i know i will participate more .

cheers snr

My 2 cents......

FR has provided me with information on my local area and more importantly other locations for over 10 years, priceless info! 

I have fished and shared a few beers with the Nelson bay guru aka Jeff , IF members share the same enthusiasm as the moderators then it's about time we pay whats deserved.

Bottomline If a modest fee is required to continue being part of such an informative and PROFESSIONALLY run forum/service , then where do I sign? Nothing worthwhile comes free anymore, that's life , get over it , if u don't like it go and buy a magazine !

3 hours ago, dogbox said:

Great

Come to think about it this could become a game changer for other sites. If Donna is successful in introducing a small fee other sites will follow.

Plenty of forums already do charge and Thoses that don't charge have pop up ads and lots of sponsors.

i think a membership fee will be fine, and as Donna said there will still be free access.

I'm glad to see that this is happening.

I proposed this to Stewy & Donna a few years back, as at the time I saw it as the only viable option to keep the site running.

Out of the goodness of their heart, & to their own detriment, it was decided not to go down this path. If it's the only way to keep this wealth of information open to the public then it should be supported.

People who don't want to pay a small fee amaze me. Each week you'll pay for a coffee, Maccas & god knows how much on fishing gear, but to source information to help you improve your skills you want that for free? Sorry, but it doesn't wash with me. Get over yourselves & go back to being the average fisho you were before sucking up all the info you could from here.

Onwards & upwards Fishraider.

Good news, a few members have pointed out that a lot of fishing forums are dying off and I think that a small membership fee is more than reasonable. I was a pretty long time member of Sydney Angler and like Fishraider there was a lot of archived information on that site . When a site shuts down all that archived info is gone - forever-and for the cost of a small fee access to that info is more than reasonable. I will be joining.  

Social media is ok - I am in a few groups - but accessing older info is difficult (or impossible) and the amount of vitriol and C$%^ is ridiculous. I would suggest to Stew and Donna that 2 levels of membership be allowed- free which accesses a limited amount of stuff (say last weeks posts) and paid which gets all info, just a thought anyway.

Anyway, good news.

It is great that the solution for the further forum existance was found!

I would just appreciate some further clarification from Donna&team in regards to membership levels/fees and other changes once those are ready to eliminate the 'heat'.

For those people that have not seen yet paid fishing forums, or do not quite accept this idea so far - have a look first at largest VIC and QLD  fishing forums - they both have free and paid membership levels, and they do not have a lack of members or daily reports, reviews or discussions.

Edited by savit
typos

Hi All

I am quite amazed at the focus on the membership fee in this thread.

The original announcement responses were so heart warming and full of gratitude. We made the decision after some real soul searching - do the right thing by members. We decided to close. This post I made yesterday has generally been met with a sigh of relief that we will not be closing the doors. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to let us know that we have made the right decision to keep going.

We now have a great future as a community and have been thrown a lifeline by an anonymous person who sees the community as worth saving. We thank that person on behalf of every member, moderator and guest that views and participates in our site. We are a great community and we will run fishraider with the same integrity and honesty as always.

Don't compare fishraider ever with "other fishing forums" that have closed. There is no other that even came close to fishraider. Our team and our members are generous and pleasant people generally who all lend a hand to each other and do not disrespect one another. We have active networks both online and offline. I used to read the rubbish on many of those dead forums, the arguments and the derogatory comments about people and businesses. There is no loss in much of that archived data believe me.

So back to business folks - we have not decided the membership structure only that there will be possibly 2 tiers something like an ordinary member and a club member. Those people who are club members will get certain benefits and those ordinary members will not get the benefits. We will be letting everyone know in due course when it is all sorted.

No one will be asked to leave or feel they can't stay here anymore or not be able to contribute to the community.

If anyone wants to discuss the membership fee send me a pm and I will do my best to alleviate your fears. If anyone wants to be removed from fishraider let me know that also. So far only one person has asked to be removed.  

Let's leave it out of this post and all rejoice in the fact that fishraider remains open for everyone to continue enjoying.

I will be posting about the hairtail social soon so watch out for that one :) as usual everyone is welcome.

Yours very sincerely

Donna aka mrsswordfisherman

Great news. Now is time for "big finnish smile":mellow:                    no, now is time for HUGE finnish smile :D . I did not understand even half, i understand only, that FISHRAIDER go to future. I dont care if it some fees, i can come there and bring my payments, main thing is that "FISHRAIDERS still rising to challenge". I read better later with google translaters.  This have to selebrate, i dont know yet how, but i want sponsored some prize for some competition. Look what we find, but something finnish product for FISHRAIDER.

6 minutes ago, JaniFIN said:

Great news. Now is time for "big finnish smile":mellow:                    no, now is time for HUGE finnish smile :D . I did not understand even half, i understand only, that FISHRAIDER go to future. I dont care if it some fees, i can come there and bring my payments, main thing is that "FISHRAIDERS still rising to challenge". I read better later with google translaters.  This have to selebrate, i dont know yet how, but i want sponsored some prize for some competition. Look what we find, but something finnish product for FISHRAIDER.

Oh Jani what is fishraider without you!! We are all good for now and thank you for that offer.

3 hours ago, JaniFIN said:

i dont know yet how, but i want sponsored some prize for some competition.

Hey Jani,

Mate we don't need 6" fishing rods Downunder. Great news we still have a site!

1417777727488401479.jpg

These don't work here. LOL

Dave

Great news that the site is going to continue.  I fully support this great forum.  I could go through my shed and boat and find a raft of things that I have added less value to my fishing than Fishraider has.  I'd hate to think about how much has been sent on those things.  Frankly if I have to forgo a lure or two to get access to all the great info that is on this site then it will probably be my smartest fishing related purchase this year!

2 minutes ago, kiwicraig said:

Great news that the site is going to continue.  I fully support this great forum.  I could go through my shed and boat and find a raft of things that I have added less value to my fishing than Fishraider has.  I'd hate to think about how much has been sent on those things.  Frankly if I have to forgo a lure or two to get access to all the great info that is on this site then it will probably be my smartest fishing related purchase this year!

Mate, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I know Stewy & Donna. It won't be a big slug for members. It will simply be a matter of covering costs, not to make a living out of. What they have put in financially to keep this site running is ridiculous. It has to change, & believe me that if we try this & it keeps costing them money the site will close. No one should have to wear the financial loss that these 2 have, just to keep open what is basically an information sharing site.

I always relate back to the amount people pay for knowledge. Whether it be a Tafe course, Uni degree, online courses, etc, people pay vast amounts of money to obtain that knowledge, yet to improve their skills in a sport & passion that they invest so much time & money into they aren't willing to do that. It simply astounds me.

Cheers,

Grant.

What i am most dissappointed in is the long time members who have rejected the solution to what was an insurmountable problem, are they saying theyd rather see FR close down? 

logic would dictate that if the swordies wanted to use fishraider as a cashcow, they could have done so many many years ago but NO, instead they financed, managed, administrated and operated this site FREE OF CHARGE for so many years with their own sweat and blood. This is the only real solution which im sure as painful as it was for the swordies was made so that ALL OF US can continue to benefit from this site.

The costs associated with becoming a member would be so small when compared to how much we spend on lures, tackle, bait etc and you cant even put a price on the access to information and wealth of knowledge and people on this site.

I dont want to make it personal but just cant fathom how anyone cant see this as a sound fair and reasonable solution. That being said, id bet you those complaining wouldnt get off the coach to do something free of charge or out of the goodness of their hearts for others.

Hypocrisy runs wild in our world

Edited by GoingFishing

Super stoked to hear that FR won't be closing down.

As others have said, the wealth of information and the access to the FR community is worth much more than a few dollars. I'd be happy to pay a small membership fee to keep this place alive.

Great news, good luck with it!

Jesus i have been out of the loop, Closing what?

Great to hear that outcome has been averted as for the fee I'm in a couple of other clubs with annual fees and i suspect my ansa membership would be more than you will be wanting. 

The site has been good to me over the years and I appreciate the work that goes on behind the scenes.

I trust your judgment Stewy and Donna and am sure what ever is ordained will be for the greater good for all.

Regards

Craig

11 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

What i am most dissappointed in is the long time members who have rejected the solution to what was an insurmountable problem, are they saying theyd rather see FR close down? 

logic would dictate that if the swordies wanted to use fishraider as a cashcow, they could have done so many many years ago but NO, instead they financed, managed, administrated and operated this site FREE OF CHARGE for so many years with their own sweat and blood. This is the only real solution which im sure as painful as it was for the swordies was made so that ALL OF US can continue to benefit from this site.

The costs associated with becoming a member would be so small when compared to how much we spend on lures, tackle, bait etc and you cant even put a price on the access to information and wealth of knowledge and people on this site.

I dont want to make it personal but just cant fathom how anyone cant see this as a sound fair and reasonable solution. That being said, id bet you those complaining wouldnt get off the coach to do something free of charge or out of the goodness of their hearts for others.

Hypocrisy runs wild in our world

Well said.

It is difficult to imagine why a small annual fee would cause some people so much concern.

Personally, I think the value of this site goes way beyond the direct individual benefit. I am more than happy to contribute financially to keep this site going because I think we all indirectly benefit from the site in many ways.

This site i promotes fishing and boating skills and safety, better fish conservation and perhaps most importantly respectful communication between members. These are values that are passed on, absorbed and promoted in some way to anyone who engages on the site. That's a good thing and its worth preserving.

Cheers

Jim