Motorbikes

harold

Does anyone here ride a motorbike? i have been a bike fanatic for years and would rather go for a ride on my bike than drive the latest, hottest supercar. There is nothing like being on a winding road as you exit the corner, laying right over, you wind on the throttle and immediately feel the power of the engine driving you on and upright to the next corner.

I ride a 2014 Yamaha FJR1300 and had a 2007 BMW K1200GT for 7 years before that and i cant remember what order all the others were owned in.

How about those that ride share some of their interesting stories for the non-riders to enjoy.

Keep the shiny side up.

I've never been on a bike outside riding around with my Dad when I was a kid, and the old pee-wee 80s when I was younger too.

However I went to the monthly bike meet at Eastern Creek with a mate who'd recently bought a Ninja ZX10 1000CC to watch his quarter mile...

Stock bike bar the exhaust which had been custom fabricated, went 9.8 seconds. What a beast of a bike!

Cheers,

Wellzy

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, harold said:

Does anyone here ride a motorbike? i have been a bike fanatic for years and would rather go for a ride on my bike than drive the latest, hottest supercar. There is nothing like being on a winding road as you exit the corner, laying right over, you wind on the throttle and immediately feel the power of the engine driving you on and upright to the next corner.

I ride a 2014 Yamaha FJR1300 and had a 2007 BMW K1200GT for 7 years before that and i cant remember what order all the others were owned in.

How about those that ride share some of their interesting stories for the non-riders to enjoy.

Keep the shiny side up.

mate were about are you located at?? I am near Windsor so we go up the putty

On 4/14/2017 at 5:32 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

last road bike was a Harley springer..at the moment I luv thrashing round on my wr 450f..54 yrs old and the young ones still have trouble keepin with me  yeeehaaa

IMG_0190.JPG

Harold GDay

i dont want to steal your post BUT!!!

rickmarlin62 I have just sold my 2 XR250Rs as the Buggers are to hard to kick start. Bloody 4 stroke Honda's.

Im same vintage as you and want a registerable chook chaser to have some fun bush / trail work with. (at a slowish pase)

Musts

Built for a short arse  Im 5'8"

ELECTRIC start.

2nd hand say up to 5K?

Any suggestions?

Dave

hate to say it being a faithful yammie rider since 14..but the suzie dr250s are suited to shorter riders....I had an xr350 for years and loved the old lounge chair but the wr426 an now450s are the go..injected.electric start.reliable  love em....don't write off the ttr250 either as they are very reliable..neither are as quick as wrs but are more suited to cruising along at constant revs..the wr250s are designed for enduro and are more suited to varying revs as they have wilder cams in them...im not sure for your price but ktm 350 freestyles are easy to ride but DONT like water crossings and drown very easy..hope you find some good ones and get out there ..rick

Yep,

Dirt bikes and a few road bikes.

My last ride was on a Honda CBR 1100 which I believe was the fastest production bike available at the time.

I rode it home late at night  for a mate from a party. Opened it up down the road between the golf course and Rookwood cemetery ( fitting place to do something stupid I guess).

Looked at the speedo at the crest of the hill ( I forget what hideous speed I was doing ) looked back up and I was almost at the corner... had to use the whole road for fear of dropping the bike and straining myself through the wire fence of the golf course.

Scared the living bejeesus out of myself.

Last time I ever rode a bike... realized I was stupid and I had a wife and young kids to look after.

Not that I have anything against bikes... just stopped trusting myself at that point.

Cheers ( and stay safe)

Jim

Jim, I had a similar occurrence last year. I was riding up the old pacific highway from the central coast to Sydney and I was passed by a couple of young guys on sports bikes. For some stupid reason I decided to show them that my FJR could out accelerate them and it did but lo and behold a tight corner was looming and I was well into 3 figure territory. I hit the brakes for all I was worth and managed to get around. The sports bikes left me in their rear view vision mirrors. I scared the you know what out of myself. 

It was weird really because I usually just potter around.

wretched motorbikes do that to you.

7 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Yep,

Dirt bikes and a few road bikes.

My last ride was on a Honda CBR 1100 which I believe was the fastest production bike available at the time.

I rode it home late at night  for a mate from a party. Opened it up down the road between the golf course and Rookwood cemetery ( fitting place to do something stupid I guess).

Looked at the speedo at the crest of the hill ( I forget what hideous speed I was doing ) looked back up and I was almost at the corner... had to use the whole road for fear of dropping the bike and straining myself through the wire fence of the golf course.

Scared the living bejeesus out of myself.

Last time I ever rode a bike... realized I was stupid and I had a wife and young kids to look after.

Not that I have anything against bikes... just stopped trusting myself at that point.

Cheers ( and stay safe)

Jim

In my younger days I used to give my fireblade a fair hammering, speeds of 140 -165mph were the norm when we rode in a big group of sports bikes around the Welsh mountains. 

I now suffer with arthritis in my neck and back from fractures in bike crashes.

Edited by JonD

Have ridden motorbikes all my life as well as fishing father and older brother into both.Don’t bother with new stuff have about 10 bikes mostly racing longtrack (speedway with gears and brakes) still race but just for fun have a 1969 triumph bonnie on club plates but like riding my longtrackers and flattrack bikes better

Edited by jimg1au
wrong file

Jimg1au,

You are a nutter. How can you enjoy getting a bike to ?? 140Kph + and throwing it sideways in the dirt. I love watching it but could never do it!

J

PS..  rickmarlin62 I have my sights on a few Suzuki Drz250, They Allways ask too much. 2 nice ones about 20+% on red book value. I can wait.

Harold your post sparked a bit of interest for me.

I'm now the owner of a NEW ---- 2nd hand chook chaser.

DRZ 250 2008 Model

drz250 08.JPG.

A huge thanks to rickmarlin62 for a push in the right direction. 

Dave.

PS : Rick will let you know how excited i am after picking it up! IT WILL BE HUGE!

Might even start fishing the upper Georges via bike!

Rick and Harold Thank You so much.

This Big Boy has a new TOY and im CHUFFED!

It is a very nice unit for the $, and suits my requirements perfectly (Rick).drz250 08.JPG

Just got home with it after dark so hasn't seen dirt yet but it will be coming fast!

Dave