Hairtail?

harold

Also a alternative to hiring a house boat is renting a house on the water, we have stayed at Bar point which had a private wharf and parking for two boats.

nice warm house and your boat is in the water ready to go.

Edited by jeffb5.8

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Also a alternative to hiring a house boat is renting a houss on the water, we have stayed at Bar point which had a private wharf and parking for two boats.

nice warm house and your boat is in the water ready to go.

@flatheadluke that would be the way for you to do it ?

40 minutes ago, kiwicraig said:

@flatheadluke that would be the way for you to do it ?

The house we rented through a friend of a friend and then through Air B&B, Had a nice big grass play area about 50mtrs wide before they got down to the shallow water, So plenty of room to play without risk and they can paddle in the shalows, throw rocks and look at little fish.

The wharf was great to sit and fish, while watching the world go by and with no cars and great people the holiday was relaxing.

It would be a great alternative if you have young kids, they will be tucked nicely into bed while your freezing for hairtail and during the day plenty of walks and outdoor things to tire them and you out.

If the weathers crap it can be a little harder as you have to pack everything and everyone into the boat to get to the houses on Bar Point but there is other locations you can reach by car,

Hi all,

Have fished Hawkesbury the last few weeks and it has produced some decent sized hairies. By what I see they will be more productive this year in the system just need to know spots and tide times and lots and lots of Burley :) . I can also say that you will get alot of soapie jewies and bonito ( be prepared for a decent fight ).

17903847_10155170441353480_9019612686256871918_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, ace1223 said:

Hi all,

Have fished Hawkesbury the last few weeks and it has produced some decent sized hairies. By what I see they will be more productive this year in the system just need to know spots and tide times and lots and lots of Burley :) . I can also say that you will get alot of soapie jewies and bonito ( be prepared for a decent fight ).

17903847_10155170441353480_9019612686256871918_n.jpg

Hi ace,

Do you know what was the length of the largest one. Maybe this year there will be more bigger ones around. They have been a bit lacking over the last couple of years. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, kyngfish said:

Hi ace,

Do you know what was the length of the largest one. Maybe this year there will be more bigger ones around. They have been a bit lacking over the last couple of years. 

Hey mate didn't measure but will assume smallest in that batch would have been 1.3 1.4 biggest would have been 1.6 1.7

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, peterbylsma said:

Hi everyone,

Has an unofficial hairtail "social" been agreed and if so what would be the date?

my mates and I are trying to nail down a weekend. I expect to know this in the next week or two and will post our plans when we do.

Hi,

Just a heads up. My mate in Sydney told me the fishing club he is in are organising one for the weekend of 30 June, 1 & 2 July.

Maybe one to avoid. Not sure how many boats or if they have already hired anyway as yet.

3 minutes ago, kyngfish said:

Hi,

Just a heads up. My mate in Sydney told me the fishing club he is in are organising one for the weekend of 30 June, 1 & 2 July.

Maybe one to avoid. Not sure how many boats or if they have already hired anyway as yet.

The club I'm in is also doing an overnight, 17th-18th of June.

Cheers,

Wellzy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, locodave said:

How come there was no social this year?

Well Dave the social costs us a lot of money. The large houseboat we get as the mothership, the catering over the weekend and the breakfast on Sunday costs a couple of grand. As much as we love the event and seeing raiders we simply can't afford to pay for this from our pockets. 

We hope raiders will go and get some hairtail and post reports for us all to see. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2017 at 11:28 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Sounds good Laurie might talk to swordie and get down there

Standby for reports of hairtail. Laurie and the Gwandalan fishing club will be there. Swordie has gone out also for the evening. Watch for a post in fishing reports or get down there to J Bay!

• 1 month later...
On 10/07/2017 at 4:25 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well Dave the social costs us a lot of money. The large houseboat we get as the mothership, the catering over the weekend and the breakfast on Sunday costs a couple of grand. As much as we love the event and seeing raiders we simply can't afford to pay for this from our pockets. 

We hope raiders will go and get some hairtail and post reports for us all to see. 

Wondering if this might be something a sponsor might be interested in for next time around?

Or maybe we could have a fundraiser/sell tickets/etc. 

Apologies if I'm speaking out of turn. 

• 4 months later...

Whats the Raiders rig choice when chasing Hairtail? Ive read somewhere they sit upright/vertical in the water? Ive hooked a few up this way just before summer and even the smaller ones smash live mullet to pieces with a strange yo-yo style bite.  Made me scratch my head on the first catch as it came to the surface thrashing around then its saw it teeth and didnt fancy hand landing the bugger :lol:

On 2/5/2018 at 9:47 PM, CJay said:

Whats the Raiders rig choice when chasing Hairtail? Ive read somewhere they sit upright/vertical in the water? Ive hooked a few up this way just before summer and even the smaller ones smash live mullet to pieces with a strange yo-yo style bite.  Made me scratch my head on the first catch as it came to the surface thrashing around then its saw it teeth and didnt fancy hand landing the bugger :lol:

Ganged pillie with a glow stick and metal wire

Those critters will bite through normal line very easily

• Like 1