Tough going at the moment...

big Neil

The past month or so has seen the Murrumbidgee drop by over a metre as the water temp has plummeted. Neither factor is conducive to good fishing for native species. In the past half dozen outings the tally has been under 10 Cod, a few Yellas and an increased number of Carp. Several trips have resulted in hours of fishing with no loss of bait...not a common occurrence, but that's fishing. Heading in to Winter and the prospect for those BIG Cod, on lures and spinnerbaits, fills me with anticipation. Here's hoping, Big Neil.IMG_6024resize.jpg

A nice healthy keeper (55 -75 cms)

IMG_6025resize.jpg

Thanks for the report Neil. 

If you were just dealing with the water temp drop alone would you expect to be doing significantly better?  I'm thinking of heading west of Sydney near Bathurst this weekend and low minimum temps around 0-17 have me questioning whether the fish will still be active enough! 

cheers,

Gus

9 hours ago, Lizardboy said:

Thanks for the report Neil. 

If you were just dealing with the water temp drop alone would you expect to be doing significantly better?  I'm thinking of heading west of Sydney near Bathurst this weekend and low minimum temps around 0-17 have me questioning whether the fish will still be active enough! 

cheers,

Gus

Hi Gus, as Rick says the water cooling off rapidly usually results in the fish being less active but coupled with the sudden drop in water volume can leave the fish very lethargic. However they still have to eat to live, no matter how inactive they get. It's a matter of being there when they are feeding. I wouldn't worry too much about air temperature and give it a go. If you're able to use lures or spinnerbaits, these can entice a bite from even lethargic fish. A day on the water is always a bonus. Cheers, BN

Thanks Neil,

Agree a day on the water is always a bonus, particularly at your local spots! However, given my small number of trips outside of Sydney each year (1or 2) And the travel time I try and go at the more productive time to maximise my chances, I've been wanting to check out this particular area for a while but things haven't lined up until now. 

I've now had some separate feedback to say that the first frosts can sometimes trigger a good bite, so fingers crossed!

I luckily don't have to deal with dam releases and abrupt water level drops like you!

cheers,

Gus

Edited by Lizardboy
Typo