Deep fried hairtail

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Cooked this up tonight, fish a lot like flathead IMO

ingredients

2 x large hairtail, filleted and skinned, bones removed.

flour

salt

pepper

dried herbs (optional)

4 eggs

1 x Coles bottle of canola or sunflower oil (costs $2.80). It's about 700 mls I think.

fresh lime or lemon (optional)

directions

Dry the fillets. Roll in flour. Dip in lightly beaten eggs. Then combine flour, dried herbs, salt and pepper, and add the egg dipped fillet . Set aside in two batches.

Heat oil in large sauce pan (about 200 degrees). Cook fish for about 2 mins or until golden brown. Set batch 1 aside on paper towel covered plate then cook second batch.

i served with oven baked fries, rocket and freshly squeezed lemon. Very tasty.

IMG_1737.JPG

Looks beautiful mate! I usually just rub off the shiny skin with a scourer or steel wool, cut into plate-size slabs and shallow fry with butter. The meat falls off the bones (and we had no bones other than the spine+ribs).

Cheers,

Wellzy

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Looks great Luke. Gotta be ok if it tastes like Flathead. Cheers, Neil

thanks BN

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

Looks beautiful mate! I usually just rub off the shiny skin with a scourer or steel wool, cut into plate-size slabs and shallow fry with butter. The meat falls off the bones (and we had no bones other than the spine+ribs).

Cheers,

Wellzy

thanks Wellzy. wife and kids hate skin and bones (even the thought of it)

3 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

I always seem to come across these fish recipes when I've missed lunch... man am I hungry now!

Nice one Luke!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. I thought of you when deep frying. I would have preferred to be in the man cave instead of the kitchen!

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

thanks BN

thanks Wellzy. wife and kids hate skin and bones (even the thought of it)

Thanks Jim. I thought of you when deep frying. I would have preferred to be in the man cave instead of the kitchen!

LOL... yes, I was in cave last Friday after a fish for a meal of fish and chips.

I have to say I am struggling to find my favourite potatoes for chips at the moment (sabagos). It seems that Woolies potatoes varieties re now called  "best for mashing", "best for roasting" and "brush potatoes". Coles are the same.

I asked the fruit and veg expert at Woolies what variety the "brush potatoes" were and he said that they were "brush potatoes"

Geeeeeze... I think an expert now means you can usually tell the difference between a fruit and a vegetable!

I eventually found them in the "pay through the nose" organic section.

Freshly fried fish and chips ( and a cold beer) , is there anything better?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

LOL... yes, I was in cave last Friday after a fish for a meal of fish and chips.

I have to say I am struggling to find my favourite potatoes for chips at the moment (sabagos). It seems that Woolies potatoes varieties re now called  "best for mashing", "best for roasting" and "brush potatoes". Coles are the same.

I asked the fruit and veg expert at Woolies what variety the "brush potatoes" were and he said that they were "brush potatoes"

Geeeeeze... I think an expert now means you can usually tell the difference between a fruit and a vegetable!

I eventually found them in the "pay through the nose"organic section.

Freshly fired fish and chips ( and a cold beer) , is there anything better?

Cheers

Jim

I empathise with you there regarding chips! It took me a lot of youtube videos and many failed efforts before I could turn a humble potato into a nice, crunchy French fry. Basically it takes me two hours to o it, involving par boiling, slicing frying, cooling, frying again etc. Ive since turned to frozen French fries that cost me $6 for 1kg and involve laying onto a flat tray covered with baking paper and baking for 16 minutes. Not quite as good as handmade or at the take away but a suitable standard and we love them, plus a lot less hassle and cost.