Still trying!

Hey guys, just a quick report from the South West. Had about 4 or 5 trips to the river, recently, with all sorts of differing conditions, and have yet to score. 

Yesterday I had a solid 5 hrs casting lures, spinnerbaits and soft plastics around every stump in about half a km of the river. Even trolled a big lure in the deeper water. Bait fished for half an hour while I had some lunch...ZILCH!

Conditions yesterday were (describably) perfect. Barometer on the rise, water level up about 35cms, little wind, yet those damn fish didn't want to play. 

Can't wait to get to the coast and hopefully back onto some fish. In lieu of commiserations please send money. Thanks for reading, BN

WHERE ARE THEY?

IMG_5659resize.jpg

Hey Neil I was Talking to my dad who lives down your way and he mentioned 3 big cod taken reciently in the bidgee.

2 over 1m and a third which apparently had a Koala leg in it's stomach(believe it or not).

Apparently the gun bait (newest fad) at the moment is chicken breast!

One of the cod was taken off a sandy beach on dusk.

At certain times of the year the cod leave the snags for open water hunting.

I trolled lures with my partner all weekend at Wyangala Dam for zero. But being on the water definitely beats being on the couch!

Can't catch fish if you're not on the water :)

Cheers,

Wellzy

2 hours ago, Houdini said:

Hey Neil I was Talking to my dad who lives down your way and he mentioned 3 big cod taken reciently in the bidgee.

2 over 1m and a third which apparently had a Koala leg in it's stomach(believe it or not).

Apparently the gun bait (newest fad) at the moment is chicken breast!

One of the cod was taken off a sandy beach on dusk.

At certain times of the year the cod leave the snags for open water hunting.

Thanks for that Houdini. Doesn't surprise me about the Koala leg, Cod will take whatever they can get when they're feeding. Where's your Dad at? Usually big Cod time in Autumn and Winter, but very hit and miss. Cheers, BN

2 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

I trolled lures with my partner all weekend at Wyangala Dam for zero. But being on the water definitely beats being on the couch!

Can't catch fish if you're not on the water :)

Cheers,

Wellzy

Yeh even the donut gets me out in the beautiful river environment, so not all bad. Cheers mate.

4 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I feel your pain Neil I haven't caught a fish in 3 sessions and to rub salt in I dropped a jack this evening

That's even worse than no interest at all Dave. Hope things pick up for you, sure they will. Meanwhile I'm heading out for another go today. Hopefully it will be better. Cheers buddy. BN

If you want to try something now try a chicken drumstick I had two left out by mistake while cooking on the river last weekend as o joke put one on the hook half hour later 89cm landed by the 13 year old daughter 

she is shore it the best bait ever ,being her first cod 

no photo iPhone didn't like the drop in the drink from my top pocket on the release 

all good still have the memories 

11 minutes ago, brett davis said:

If you want to try something now try a chicken drumstick I had two left out by mistake while cooking on the river last weekend as o joke put one on the hook half hour later 89cm landed by the 13 year old daughter 

she is shore it the best bait ever ,being her first cod 

no photo iPhone didn't like the drop in the drink from my top pocket on the release 

all good still have the memories 

G'day Brett, have heard of all sorts of things being found in Cod. Have caught them on salami and cheese, chicken, bread to mention a few. A mate has some in tanks at home and he often relates tales of their eating habits. When they eat yabbies or crayfish they will regurgitate the hard shell a while after gulping them down. I even caught one with a 5/0 hook hanging out of its backside, so I removed it before releasing it. Strange creatures indeed. BN

Went out to the river this morning and managed a couple of Cod and a Yella on spinnerbaits. Was on the water at 7.30 am and it was about 2 celsius with very little wind. Steam was rising from the river as we motored downstream to one of the ski runs. Luke and I would have made several thousand casts in the 5 hour session and ended up with 2 nice Cod, mid 60s and a Yella of 36 cms. The day turned out beautiful once the Autumn sun chased the icy mist from the water and the temp rose a bit. Water temp got up to 14 c...a big drop from the 21 c of 2 weeks ago.

A freezing start to the session...

IMG_6411resize.jpg

They liked the red/ black spinnerbait today????

IMG_6417resize.jpg

Even the Yella liked it

IMG_6420resize.jpg

Cheers, BN

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Went out to the river this morning and managed a couple of Cod and a Yella on spinnerbaits. Was on the water at 7.30 am and it was about 2 celsius with very little wind. Steam was rising from the river as we motored downstream to one of the ski runs. Luke and I would have made several thousand casts in the 5 hour session and ended up with 2 nice Cod, mid 60s and a Yella of 36 cms. The day turned out beautiful once the Autumn sun chased the icy mist from the water and the temp rose a bit. Water temp got up to 14 c...a big drop from the 21 c of 2 weeks ago.

A freezing start to the session...

IMG_6411resize.jpg

They liked the red/ black spinnerbait today????

IMG_6417resize.jpg

Even the Yella liked it

IMG_6420resize.jpg

Cheers, BN

That is a little chilly Neil. Glad you go into a few. :)

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

Not a bad looking specimen Neil.

What accounts for the big drop in water temp?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, A particularly sudden drop in air temps a week or so back, really cold nights and the sun being a lot lower in the sky (lower ambient temperature), added to low water levels, low flow. Went out early this morning and the water temp was 12.9, though there was no haze coming off the water. Got 1 Yella on my favourite spinnerbait, then lost the damn thing. Have to see if I can get another Cheers, Neil.

Hi Big Neil

glad to see u got some better results in your follow up report.

thats fishing i guess !!! Fish there one day, not there next ! 

I must say freshwater fishing requires far greater patience than saltwater ! 

1 hour ago, Cargo05 said:

Back in to the fish Neil. Water looks nice.

Yeh John have managed a few outings. Went down to have a look today and couldn't get the boat in (water too low with my 2WD car, to risk it). Not looking good at present. They are going to be doing some work on some of the weirs so the level will be dropped even more. Heading to Sydney next week so hope to have a fish there. Cheers, Neil

45 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hope some of the boys take you for a fish neil..if I wasn't so busy workin id come down to the big smoke and take you for a run  good luck bud..rick

Cheers Rick, having a go at the blackfish (fingers crossed)...1st time. Getting a bit excited LOL, BN