Best rod for Reel Daiwa Saltist 5000

Snapper81

Hi fisher,

I need your help again.

I recently bought a Daiwa Saltist 5000 with Daiwa J8 braid 40lb multicolour, and I'm still looking for the right rod.

I bought it because I want to use stickbait, metal lure and so on inshore for rock fishing.

Someone suggest me the Daiwa Saltist 9f 6inch xhs spin rod MAX PE 6.

Range of $350 max

So my question is which one is the best match for this reel using this technique?

Thanks I'm waiting for your suggestions experts fisher 

Edited by Snapper81

thanks guy.

im a bit surprised because no one said nothing about saltist hyper 962xhs, but all suggest me the demon blood.

yes definitely I'm looking for big kingys but also all the big fish that I can catch using lure, metal lure, stickbait and so on.

do you think the saltist hyper 962xhs is too heavy for this reel, I mean PE6?

The demon blood PE2/4 is not too light for big fish?

Which areas do you propose on fishing mate? It's very difficult to just get one combo to do all the styles of fishing you have mentioned, the reel you have has 40lb braid - PE 4. Having used Jbraid I know it's very thin but casts well, I would run leaders anywhere from 60-100lb depending on locations for kings, any other species your consistently such as tailor, salmon, bonito etc your going to come across on the stones as mentioned above is overkill. Not sure if you have spent a day casting stickbaits and poppers all day off the stones but I can assure you it's hard work especially when the fish don't wanna play.

5 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Which areas do you propose on fishing mate? It's very difficult to just get one combo to do all the styles of fishing you have mentioned, the reel you have has 40lb braid - PE 4. Having used Jbraid I know it's very thin but casts well, I would run leaders anywhere from 60-100lb depending on locations for kings, any other species your consistently such as tailor, salmon, bonito etc your going to come across on the stones as mentioned above is overkill. Not sure if you have spent a day casting stickbaits and poppers all day off the stones but I can assure you it's hard work especially when the fish don't wanna play.

Hi Tyrone07,

I totally understand what you are saying. 

I fish normally from the rock and I have already different rods. One, Shimano Sentire nano serie 10.60  kg4-8 weight lure 15gr to 65gr and a reel Shimano baitrunner 4000 with 15lb braid,I normally use for light lure or stickbait max 40/60gr and also coconut rig (small sinkers and bait that's it) which I love where I fish so this one it's perfect for many uses. I already catch bonito, Mack tuna, kings, salmon, tailor and a kg4.5 black cod all with this rod.

anyway now I bought this reel and I'm looking for a new rod because I want start to use lure and so on a bit more heavy for bigger fish. Obviously I won't spend all day casting 120gr or more of lure but during the day change one rod with other one. 

I was pretty sure that the Daiwa saltist 962 xhs was perfect and I'm still not understanding why is not the best match with that reel. Other think the Daiwa Demon Blood 962h is not a bit too light for what I'm looking for?

thank you 

• 9 months later...

The Demon Bloods are a solid go to for your price range man ,if you go the earlier red model its a bit cheaper than the Demon17. you could probably find one for 280-300 , plenty of stopping power for everything that swims when paired with a good quality reel with the line capacity , can fire  40g lures for hours and the rod doesnt put much pressure on arms/back 

How is the J braid treating you? Ive read a few reviews on it sometimes getting a few wind knots quite frequently when casting?