Float Fishing at Night

Wellzy94

Does anybody do much float fishing at night? 

I'm looking for a fishing float with a built-in light or removable light. A friend of mine was given a float with an insert in the top for a battery powered light that slots into the insert, but doesn't know where it's from. Any recommendations or sources?

Alternatively, how do you see your float at night?

Cheers,

Wellzy

3 minutes ago, UnderFisher said:

I'm not sure about your battery powered float, but most people stick glow sticks to the stem of the float. I usually use sticky tape, works well.

I did that last night, and with the tiniest bit of wind moving the surface of the stillwater combined with the unbalance of a glowstick on the stem, it was impossible to discern bouncing on the water with touches from fish.

I've done a bit off the rocks in low swell. Glow stick stuck in the top of the float, some of them have hole already or you can punch a hole in one.

One time fishing like this we didn't see the float go under as we were doing something else, my mate looks over the edge as says "WTF!! a glow in the dark fish is swimming along!" Big bloody salmon had taken the bait, float and glow stick under and swum back towards the rock shelf and then along so the drag didn't go off, my mate seriously couldn't work out what was going on for a few seconds...

1 minute ago, Wellzy94 said:

I did that last night, and with the tiniest bit of wind moving the surface of the stillwater combined with the unbalance of a glowstick on the stem, it was impossible to discern bouncing on the water with touches from fish.

Yeah you cant really use the float as a bite indicator, but if you've got it weighted and you're fishing for tailor or salmon you wont need to, they'll just take it under completely.

Just now, UnderFisher said:

Yeah you cant really use the float as a bite indicator, but if you've got it weighted and you're fishing for tailor or salmon you wont need to, they'll just take it under completely.

Ah, now I see the issue. I should've clarified, I want it fit-to-use for mullet. So I'd be using the float as a bite indicator.

3 minutes ago, Short said:

I've done a bit off the rocks in low swell. Glow stick stuck in the top of the float, some of them have hole already or you can punch a hole in one.

One time fishing like this we didn't see the float go under as we were doing something else, my mate looks over the edge as says "WTF!! a glow in the dark fish is swimming along!" Big bloody salmon had taken the bait, float and glow stick under and swum back towards the rock shelf and then along so the drag didn't go off, my mate seriously couldn't work out what was going on for a few seconds...

Ha, love when that happens, they hammer it the salmon hey.

1 minute ago, Wellzy94 said:

Ah, now I see the issue. I should've clarified, I want it fit-to-use for mullet. So I'd be using the float as a bite indicator.

Ah, I see. Others would know better than me. I can only suggest to weight it like a blackfish rig to increase the float movement on a bite.

There's a few options for battery powered floats. One would be with the bite alarm, float is green when normal, then with some form of action is blinks red, other float with the battery type is a long narrow float with the LED light hole. Usually green but far brighter than glow stick, much easier to see. I wont post any links as I might be braking one of the rules for this forum. But Ill attached screenshot of it.

bite alarm.jpg

Float.jpg

light.jpg

hey wellzy we used to buy luminous green paint from model shops and paint the stems on our luderick floats..if you set up a small led lightpointing out over water you can see your float disappear as easy as in daytime..caught plenty of mullet bream an blackfish this way..rick 

Just get the appropriate sized glow stick for your fishing needs.

Or buy glow in the dark beads that you charge with a UV torch and have them under the float stop.

I usually do the beads if fishing for smaller fish as its cheap, effective but time consuming if the fish are on the bite. Charging the beads costs fishing time.