Browns report

letsgocrabbing

Went out yesterday with no problems catching resident gem fish. Biggest 3kg. Pro was out with drop lines and they had their quota finished by 8am, so obviously a more productive non spawn quality and quantity than previous years. We also caught a mixed bag consisting of smaller blue eye/mirror dory/ alfonsino,  once away from the main peak. Just a question to other Browns visitors. What hook have you had the most success on? Size/type etc. 

Nice haul, I've never fished brows deep dropping before, though my old man just picked up a couple of electrics and we plan on heading out to the mountain in the next couple of weeks. Can you tell me we're you on the mountain or how far off? Do you sound the bottom looking for fish or just drop when you find some structure? Cheers & thanks for the report 

The top of the mountain is around 360m. The edges drop off eventually to 600m. From my experience, this time of year before the gem spawn that starts in late July, most of the resident gems will be nearer the top. Sound them to find them. Cod and the others seem to prefer broken edges so as you come off the drift to deeper water, look for broken ground. Don't generally see cod on the sounder we have. More powerful ones may be able to. Main thing i learned was not to bother to go out if you expect current to be over 1 knot. Too much bow in line, so gear losses go up. Take spare braid as well as its a long way to go if you loose all your braid in one hit and cant reach bottom. This does happen. Even had a whale pick up the line  by accident and lost a lot before we realised what had happened.

1 hour ago, letsgocrabbing said:

The top of the mountain is around 360m. The edges drop off eventually to 600m. From my experience, this time of year before the gem spawn that starts in late July, most of the resident gems will be nearer the top. Sound them to find them. Cod and the others seem to prefer broken edges so as you come off the drift to deeper water, look for broken ground. Don't generally see cod on the sounder we have. More powerful ones may be able to. Main thing i learned was not to bother to go out if you expect current to be over 1 knot. Too much bow in line, so gear losses go up. Take spare braid as well as its a long way to go if you loose all your braid in one hit and cant reach bottom. This does happen. Even had a whale pick up the line  by accident and lost a lot before we realised what had happened.

Cheers mate thanks for the reply. Will hopefully post something up in the next couple of weeks ?