Rod selection for SP's and lures - stiff or flexible?

seasponge

After a recent rookie mistake on one of my first kayak fishing ventures, I find myself in the market to buy a new rod, and looking for advice on what type of rod would suit my needs. 

My question is, for lure fishing (SP’s, diving hard bodies, and vibes) is a stiffer rod preferred, or one with a flexible tip? 

The rod I lost was a Shimano Sahara 2-4kg 7ft, and I found that the tip of the rod felt too flexible when trying to work SPs. It was hard to get 2 good short sharp flicks going  to start the retrieve and it felt like this was due to the rod being too flexible. Also I would often get line wrapped around the tip of the rod. 

My wife has a Berkley dropshot Gen IV and I find that good to work SPs with. It is not too flexible and I can get a good double flick going to start the retrieve action. 

I’ll want to be using the rod for bait fishing as well. I’m looking for a 2-4kg 6.5-7ft long, not too fussed whether it’s 1 or 2 piece. Would look at spending approx. $200 for a combo.

In answer to your initial question a stiff rod coupled with braid will give you the best contact (sensitivity) with the lure /soft plastic and what it's doing. This is invaluable when you want to impart subtle movement to your lure / soft plastic.

Be aware though that if you get a graphite rod, they don't bend readily so you will need to lift fish from the water with either a net or the line, NOT THE ROD.

Good luck BN

Guest Guest123456789

When it comes to using your rod, whether it be flicking soft plastics stiffer is better. For lure fishing, the reason it's better is because you get more movement (eg twitch or wobble) directed to the lure, therefore more strikes. Remember: no wobble, no gobble.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Like others above I usually prefer a stiff tip. It makes it easier to get the subtle little twitches I require at times. When I am teaching people light soft plastics I point out that in a rod I look for a 2-4kg rod on the stiffer side. Ideally a touch over 7 feet long (tip speed helps with casting distance) with an ergonomic hand grip (more comfortable over the longer sessions) and a short butt. I use a rod tip down technique so the wind is less able to affect the line and it is easier to watch. I find the longer butts bump up against my forearm.

As a starting point I usually recommend that people look at the Shimano Raider Bream Finesse 2-4kg 762 (7 foot 6 inches 2 piece) rated for 3 to 12gm lures. Depending on the sales at the time you can find it for between $100 and $120. Suggest you use that as a benchmark and if you find something better then buy that and please tell me what it is. :D

Thanks for the replies guys, some helpful feedback. Stiffer tip is the way to go.

Are there any downsides to having a stiffer rod for bait fishing? I intend to use the same rod for both purposes. 

Personally I do not think there is a disadvantage bait casting with a stiff tip. Just don't try to accelerate the rod tip as fast as you might do for a plastic. Rather than a short sharp punch use a long accelerating sweep for your cast.

I use my bream finesse for both lures and baits. For example I can get a nipper/pinkie/yabbie a fair way out on this gear when chasing whiting and that is a relatively soft bait.

The only issue there might be with a stiff tip and braid is that there is less shock absorption than a soft rod with mono and from years of experience I find this a non-issue. The tip will be fine enough to have some shock dampening effect plus use a soft hand when handling the rod.

8 hours ago, seasponge said:

Thanks for the replies guys, some helpful feedback. Stiffer tip is the way to go.

Are there any downsides to having a stiffer rod for bait fishing? I intend to use the same rod for both purposes. 

Hi seasponge, I'm assuming you mean that you're planning to use the rod for bait fishing...NOT baitcasting. Definite disadvantage is that if you have the rod in a holder and it gets a good bite, where the rod almost doubles over, it will break a graphite rod. I have had this happen, although I managed to get the fish in with the top of the rod in its mouth. As pointed out though the stiffer rod is no disadvantage to casting plastics and definitely helps impart action to the plastic. BN

Edited by big Neil

If you intend to use a graphite rod for bait fishing, I'd definitely recommend a reel with a baitcaster switch. They take a lot of the strain out of the rod tip and allow the fish to run when they hit the bait.

I use Shimano 2000OC and 4000OC baitrunner reels.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Guest Guest123456789
6 hours ago, seasponge said:

The only problem is you can more easily pull hooks. But setting the drag correctly and using mono for leader overcomes this problem.

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2017 at 1:18 PM, big Neil said:

Hi seasponge, I'm assuming you mean that you're planning to use the rod for bait fishing...NOT baitcasting. Definite disadvantage is that if you have the rod in a holder and it gets a good bite, where the rod almost doubles over, it will break a graphite rod. I have had this happen, although I managed to get the fish in with the top of the rod in its mouth. As pointed out though the stiffer rod is no disadvantage to casting plastics and definitely helps impart action to the plastic. BN

Hi BN,

Just had a question, when casting light SPs  I would have thought a bit more bendy (is that slow taper/action?) rod would be an advantage for casting because it would load up more when casting for greater distance, but I I definitely see how it is a disadvantage for working a plastic, so would  you go for a medium taper?

richard

I like graphite 2-4kg or 3-5KG 6 to 7 foot eg shimano sonic pro very light and use for hours. but they are delicate. I also own an Ugly Stick Gold 6' with medium action cracker rod will do anything and is almost indestructible.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hi BN,

Just had a question, when casting light SPs  I would have thought a bit more bendy (is that slow taper/action?) rod would be an advantage for casting because it would load up more when casting for greater distance, but I I definitely see how it is a disadvantage for working a plastic, so would  you go for a medium taper?

richard

Hi Richard. I don't worry too much about rod taper and distance casting for the fishing which I do. So I have medium taper rods (mainly). Fast tapered rods will aid you casting further though you MAY lose some ability to impart finesse touches to light soft plastics. bn

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Richard. I don't worry too much about rod taper and distance casting for the fishing which I do. So I have medium taper rods (mainly). Fast tapered rods will aid you casting further though you MAY lose some ability to impart finesse touches to light soft plastics. bn

thanks