Pot of gold

Took advantage of a small window of opportunity on Tuesday, loaded the trout gear and 4 year old into the car and headed to a nearby stream.  I had taken the young fella out the week before fishing for Yellowbelly and Carp and never got a bite in 4 hours but still enjoyed the great outdoors so keen to get him onto something with fins.  Plenty of human sign around, just the usual beer bottles and empty worm tubs (collected for disposal) that had me a bit worried the area had been fished recently.  Second cast gets followed by a 40cm rainbow and my confidence levels rise.  He comes back a few times but seems non committal at best.  Whipped a long cast into tiger country and spy a decent trout following close behind.  I gave the lure an erratic twitch and bang, I'm on!  Couple of decent runs and he is slugging it out deep lunging for underwater structure.  I played him out quite gently hoping to tire him out for landing and all goes well and a slightly out of condition rainbow of 54cm is mine.  My PB is 57cm that I walked hours for so I'm pretty stoked to get such a quality fish a couple of hundred metres from the car.  Young fella gets 2 trout at 10cm each and claims to be the winner of the day.  We sit down to eat an apple and while I'm not watching he jumps in the icy water fully clothed for a quick swim :-rolleyes Thrown in a pic of the 57cm for no apparent reason.  

DSCN0619.JPG