Catching and eating crabs

GoingFishing

Hi All

Two part question ! 

Part A - in your opinion what is the best eating crab ? I have only ever tried blue swimmer. I am wanting to try a coconut cream/chilli dish soon

Part B - i am looking to try crabbing soon. I have done some reading here and online about setting crab pots and likely locations. Just wanting some "lessons learnt" or tips from those who have it down pat per se. 

Any advice would be appreciated 

sam 

best eating - if you want to sit around and eat fresh cooked crab straight out of the shell, i reckon blue swimmers are best eating.  just put them in a pot of boiling sea water for 7 minutes. But if you're wanting to make chilli stir fry etc a more meatier crab like a mud crab may be better.

as far as how to catch em - i wish i knew the secret. Blue swimmers are relatively easy but they're still a bit hit and miss for me. I've used flathead frames, raw chicken carcasses and tins of cat food as bait and have had mixed success on all of them. I wouldn't say i've noticed a preference. 

I normally set them and leave em to go fishing for the day, which is probably not the best approach to specifically target them, they're more of a by-catch from a day's fishing. If you've got time and wanting to specifically target them, one tactic i'm keen to try is to set the traps out in various locations, or across a stretch of water. Check the traps after 45 minutes, and if you find one location that was more successful than the others, move all your traps to that location, and keep checking them every 45mins. That's not a tried and tested tactic, just one i heard about that i'm keen to have a go at. 

It is getting late in the season for them, but up my way in the Hawekesbury it's been a great season for crabs this year, and they're definitely still around. 

I started fishing for crabs last November  2016 boy I'm hooked last week I got 10 of Towra in botany bay and a few Flathead.

Now i thinking of chasing lobsters and spending more time on the squid. I have even started thinking about what else I'm missing that you can add to you culinary dinner.

for me any crab for chilly crab dish and I'm not a chilly fan but there is only a very small amount of chilly, I don't even notice it 

dogbox

51 minutes ago, dogbox said:

I started fishing for crabs last November  2016 boy I'm hooked last week I got 10 of Towra in botany bay and a few Flathead.

Now i thinking of chasing lobsters and spending more time on the squid. I have even started thinking about what else I'm missing that you can add to you culinary dinner.

for me any crab for chilly crab dish and I'm not a chilly fan but there is only a very small amount of chilly, I don't even notice it 

dogbox

how long did you leave the crab pots before you started to check?  day or night time?

Part A- MUDCRAB! Hands down, but happy to eat bluees if caught myself and big enough.

Part B- well I'll be here all day, but fresh fresh fresh bait wrapped in chicken mesh tied to the bottom of the trap , bit of fresh water (rain) flushes out the big ones, traps set between 1m ( if exposed at LT the shag bird /Pelicans will rip your trap and mesh apart ) and 3m just off any tidal flow.... 

Agree with best time is all months containing a R, however me and mate got these last week in the Georges, left out for 6 hrs containing a ride change, u just never know! 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Part A- MUDCRAB! Hands down, but happy to eat bluees if caught myself and big enough.

Part B- well I'll be here all day, but fresh fresh fresh bait wrapped in chicken mesh tied to the bottom of the trap , bit of fresh water (rain) flushes out the big ones, traps set between 1m ( if exposed at LT the shag bird /Pelicans will rip your trap and mesh apart ) and 3m just off any tidal flow.... 

Agree with best time is all months containing a R, however me and mate got these last week in the Georges, left out for 6 hrs containing a ride change, u just never know! 

image.jpg

Good hall there.

They all look pretty good.....

14 hours ago, Mojo4fishin said:

how long did you leave the crab pots before you started to check?  day or night time?

i soaked the pots for 4 hours for 6 blue swimmers then i moved the pots soaked for another 2 hours for 4 crabs 

15 hours ago, dogbox said:

Ive been looking for where you can catch mud crabs in the Georges. All my attempts have gone with O. where do you find mud crabs in the Georges river?

dogbox

Muddies will be very slim at this time of year in the Georges.

Try the warmer months for muddies.

Anywhere with mangroves or mud, put your traps = depends on where they are at the time...

• 10 months later...