Power trim issue

tuffy

Hello fellow Raiders, long time no post. I bought a Haines Signature last year with a Honda 75 and unfortunately didn't get many opportunities to use her until a few months ago. I started having trim up/down issues as the operation became intermittent. Closer scrutiny ( and topping up the fluid reservoir) revealed slight leakage on the top of the 2 trim rams, so I figured that there were seal problems. After attempting to get some advice from a couple of marine dealers/ mechanics to little avail I decided to attack the problem myself. I searched online and found a supplier of new parts.

The main issue was how to undo the caps on the top end of the trim tubes and it became apparent that I had to purchase a special "Flange nut wrench" at $60. Ok , bite the bullet, just another specialty tool for my kit. When I eventually removed the caps, I withdrew the rams and noticed that there was distinct pitting on the rams particularly at the bottom end. This is the part of the ram that sits under the seals when fully extended, so apart from the seal kits and "o" rings, I decided to buy 2 new rams. Nice and cheap!! took about 2 weeks to get the parts and carefully replaced O rings and seals and re-assembled the unit. After topping up the fluid reservoir and bleeding the unit I still had a minor issue. The motor was going up and down perfectly but when I lifted the motor to its fully up position and heard the hydraulics start to bind, the motor would not go down without releasing the manual release. I mucked around with it for a bit , obviously getting frustrated, until I released the cap from the fluid reservoir and let a small mount of fluid out. Tried the whole process again, up fully etc, and bingo, job done. The power trim/tilt is now operating perfectly, so I am satisfied that I was able to fix the problem myself without having to pay a mechanic to do. Saved $100's in doing this.

Anybody else have these issues, just PM me or call 0402 110 666, and I will be happy to help.

Cheers to all,

Tuffy.

• 4 months later...