Yak session - yellow rock and long bay

REELCRAZY

headed out this morning for a yak session from long bay, targeting kingfish. My mate and I were joined by "krause" for an early stArt hoping to get some squid. We got 1 lollipop and 2 very large hoods which we would strip up. Fished plastics  around the mouth of the bay scoring a seargent baker. 

Rigged up a swimming garfish and downrigged yellow rock, stopping occasionally to flick plastics. Moving north and finding some shallower reefy ground I had my first strike that did not stick. Re rigged and fished the same area for another strike that did not hook up. The next bait goes down and not too long after I get a solid hook up and land a feisty rat king. My mate and Krause paddle over and we flick plastics picking up a few rats each on the lighter gear,  we loose the school and I go back to downrigging. Took a paddle north downrigging squid strips and more garfish. On my return I hook a solid king that reefs me on the 30lb outfit. Next gar down and it quickly falls to a big sgt baker.

Some time during the action the boys have caught a 45cm tailor, few sgt baker, couple of rats, and a 65 cm king that was kept for the table. 

We spot some bait, burley up with bread and I put down the bait jig and grab a couple of big yakkas that me and Krause towed all the way back to the bay for no hits. 

Back in by 12.30 for a good result 

IMG_1977.JPGIMG_1981.JPGIMG_1988.PNG

I'm filled with admiration at you "kayak guys". Not only the fact that you get out in open waters in such fragile vessels but also how the sport of kayak fishing has developed. It appears that there is very little that you guys can't do with your kayaks, that can be done from an ordinary fishing boat. Of course space is a major consideration as is the conditions which would be considered safe...but these seem to be only minor "problems" and are easily overcome by the enthusiastic yakker. Aaahh, if only I were 40 years younger. Good report, good companionship and good results. You have a fan! BN

Saw you guys very close in 100m past Yella,trolling by in tinny. I found the trolling slow,but the bottom bashing in 55m very good Friday.Have heard of a 4kg red on trolled gar Coogee island,you must get some great fish as well as exercise!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice report. I head out there often and you guys are doing better then me of late. Went out there yesterday for not one fish, usually get at least something. Was a nice paddle though out in the fog. How do you down-rig your's, poor mans or a real one?