Fluffchuckers Social

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

I started this with the comment " 0 hairtail, 2 salmon - things have got to improve with this one! " Well it looks like I didn't count on the weather. :thumbdown:

About 25 Fishraiders converged on Narrabeen Lake this morning amid wet and soggy conditions, at least their spirits were high, particularly as 10.30 approached and the draw of the Fly outfit donated by Australian Bass Angler drew closer.

All gathered under a big blue tarp for the draw in which Pedro officiated as the drawer. Ist name came out! ABSENT. Second name drawn out - ABSENT and so it went on, until about the sixth attempt when Lightweight struck paydirt :thumbup: It was good to see the outfit go to a newbie who didn't have a fly outfit until about 10.45 this morning - good onyer Lightweight!

Shortly after the draw Narralakes took the raw beginners for a lesson, Pogo took the more advanced?? casters and Big-Pete set up under the big top and demonstrated flytying. Should have been there guys, this trio are knowledgeable and were keen to pass on their skills :thumbup:

After the lesson most of the raiders took to the shallows to test their luck. I think it was Narralakes to strike first on a small bream, then Alexit hauled out a mullet and some time later Cap'n [a rank newbie] hooked into a reasonable mullet and dropped it at his feet. Cap'n also gave a new meaning to the term "flying fish" as, on a backcast he wrenched a tiny poddie mullet out of the water and "flew" it quite a few metres behind him.

All in all a most enjoyable day, even if it was a tad damp overhead.

I'd like to extend a huge thank you to Australian Bass Angler for donating the prize outfit, to Narralakes, Pogo and Big-Pete for passing on their knowledge and skills, for without this trio the day would not have happened. I think they deserve a big Hoorah! :1clap::1clap::1clap:

HOORAH!

I think Jocools got some photos somewhere

Edited by bluecod

I'd like to extend a huge thank you to Australian Bass Angler for donating the prize outfit, to Narralakes, Pogo and Big-Pete for passing on their knowledge and skills, for without this trio the day would not have happened. I think they deserve a big Hoorah! :1clap:

HOORAH!

I think Jocools got some photos somewhere

I'd also like to add you, George, to the list of people to be thanked! It was a sterling effort on your part to get this going! :thumbup:

THANKS GEORGE!

Although this was to be a session where the more knowledgable members passed on their help and experiences to others, which were greatly appreciated too, it was also a chance for everyone to help even the experienced guys out! Alex had some awesome tips to pass on about procurring fly tying materials to the more experieced guys. Good one Alex! :biggrin2:

And I have to admit, I learnt heaps myself! It was great to get some pointers on what I was doing wrong, and the watchful eye of Ken and Bruce was able to pick up my MANY deficiencies whilst casting. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

It was absolutely awesome to put some faces to some of the names I hadn't met, and great to meet up with guys I haven't seen for a while. I can honestly say that despite the weather, the day was a resounding success! :yahoo::yahoo:

post-4-1130669198_thumb.jpg

Group photo showing most of the participants. Notice the obligatory red flag??

post-4-1130669272_thumb.jpg

Pedro needed to pull so many names out of the barrell, that I thou :1yikes: ght he would lose his arm!

post-4-1130669328_thumb.jpg

The winner.

post-4-1130669373_thumb.jpg

Everyone hard at it.

post-4-1130669434_thumb.jpg

Looking good Chris.

post-4-1130669469_thumb.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture?

post-4-1130669524_thumb.jpg

Turning water into froth!

It was a great day, thanks heaps to George who organised the whole thing and for supplying the tarp as well. It was great meeting all the Fishraiders that I hadnt met before and catching up with everyone else, what a bunch of great guys and gals. Well done to Lightweight for winning the outfit, it was worth the drive down from Newcastle. I reckon it was a big success as well Joe, thanks to ABA for supplying the prize and to everyone who made the effort to come on this wet but wonderful day. I was surprised how many people turned up in the wet conditions, just goes to show, everyone was keen to learn a little about flyfishing. Thanks again to everyone for coming, we should do it again soon. Dont forget, get those rods into action and catch some fish!

cheers

Apart from the inclement weather I reckon every body had a great time,

Pedro's Surgical skills and Joes very impressive first aid kit were not recquired.

Many thanks to George (Bluecod) for putting in the hard yards doing the organising and then setting up the Fishraider Pavillion to keep the rain off us as we chatted.

Thanks also to Mick from ABA for their support and the great outfit. Good luck with it Lightweight, hope to see a report with some fly caught bass from St Clair.

Got a couple of great fly tying ideas from Alexit, and was very impressed with his flyrod case ( a stunning looking home built wooden case with brass clips and hinges)

Thanks to all of those who patiently listened to me trying to explain the unexplainable, ( how to get the fly from here to over there) Hope I was able to help you out with my tips, just remember guys its all in the speed up and stop :biggrin2:

Once again thanks to bluecod

Sounds like you guys had a good day.

Sorry I didnt make the effort to come down now :(. I woke to torrential rain on sunday, checked the weather radar and more heavier stuff was on its way........ Checked fishraider for an update and the site was down. Added two and two, got 64, and thought that the day would probably be a washout - how wrong was I?

Anyway, hope to catch up again with you guys soon - rain hail or shine, Ill come to the next one - promise. Ive missed too many socials now.

Adrian

Thanks George for organising the day, it was just what i needed after being stuck with my arm in a sling and not being able to drive for the past few weeks. My wife enjoyed the day and enjoyed meeting everyone, my mate Ron said he learnt heaps about casting. :thumbup:

I think I read some where it was raining on the day but I dont think anyone who attended noticed it, they were to busy enjoying themselves.

Joe thanks for your help it was good meeting you.:thumbup:

Big Pete

Hi All,

What a day!

I would like to pass on my great gratitude to Mick at ABA for very kindly donating the fly combo that somehow i managed to win. It is much appreciated and i am sure it will get some good (or is that frequent?) use over the summer months.

Secondly thanks heaps to Bluecod, Nara and Pogo for the valuable lessons and making my first fluffchucking experience a good one.

Shane and i left Newcastle at 6:00am and as usual, when ever i am going fishing it bloody rains.... this day as i often am, I find myself being over optimistic that the weather will improve during the day and somehow that it will be all good by lunch... not the case, as we drove down the freeway, the weather was not looking much better and we had the typical low cloud and rain as we approached the Hawkesbury. We found our way to the beautiful Narrabeen Lagoon at about 8am for a much needed coffee, Shane had an early fish for nothing, there where two other fluff-chuckers under the bridge that pulled two flatties out and where gone by 9:30. I can imagine this place would have been buzzing the day before in the 30 degree heat... not for us though, we had the whole area to ourselves, i think in the end that was a good thing!

At 10:30, George drew the raffle and to my surprise i won the package... wow, i now have a brand new package to improve my very basic skills. I am looking forward to posting a report as soon as i land a decent fish... Hopefully a bass after Pogo gave me a few of his poppers... (thanks pogo, can't wait to test em up in the valley).

After that i spent the next few hours under the careful watch of Ken and Pogo honing my skills on the mysterious art of fake casting, hauling and a few other inside tips. From what was shown to me i understand the principles and can now practice in my own time.

I went and had a cast in the water for no luck, i didn't bring any waders or booties so the oysters and shells where a little nasty on my feet. (looks like there are a few more items i need to add to the fishing cupboard :wacko: )

We headed off home at about 2:30, to even heavier rain and a few accidents on the freeway...

All in all it was a top day, it is great putting names to the faces and looking forward to the next outing.

Thanks again to all who organised and helped out. :1clap:

LW

The weather may not have been the best with the rain, but at least the wind stayed away. I'll definately be out to purchase some waders and a wet weather jacket. Shorts, T-shirt and thongs probably weren't the most ideal attire for the day. :wacko:

Firstly, thanks to George for organising the day. The rain might have been a pain, but his effort with the tarps made it much more comfortable. :thumbup: Thanks mate.

My main aim for the day was to get some casting tips/tuition and I think that we were in good hands in that regard. Thanks to Ken, Pogo and Agent X for your assistance. :thumbup:

A big thanks to the boys at ABA for donating such a magnificent prize! I think Lightweight is extremely pleased to be the lucky recipient. :biggrin2: And I'll bet the 6 or so other Raiders that were called out prior to him wished they had braved the elements. It was worth the two hour drive just to be in the running for the prize.

Unfortunately I missed Pete's tying display as I was too busy "cutting the grass" with pogo. Hopefully I'll be able to sit down and watch next time.

Thanks to Lightweight for navigating our journey from Newcastle. It was a little dicey on the way home with the torrential rain. I think I should get some new tyres, the aqua planing at 110-120k on the freeway was a bit on the ordinary side.

At least we weren't a part of the three seperate accidents we saw on the homeward journey.

Did anyone notice the strange looks we were getting from the people who live along the street next to the park? We must have looked a sight. :074:

Funnily enough, I only fished for about 15 minutes after our casting practise. Pete gave me one of his bread flies to try, so I waded out with the others to try my luck. After a few casts I was about to roll the line out straight for another cast and came up tight on a little chopper. After a short tussle it chomped through the leader and took off with my new fly! Cheers for the fly anyway Pete.

I had a great day, in spite of the weather, and my lack of sleep. Again a big thanks to everyone who organised and attended for making the day a success and I look forward to the next social event. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hi Joe

I worked out what was wrong in the picture .Baitcasters arnt normally used as fly reels.And dutch clogs arnt worn by the purist fly fisher.Also the rod still has the price tag attached making casting difficult.

donfish

Edited by donfish

Hi Joe

I worked out what was wrong in the picture .Baitcasters arnt normally used as fly reels.

Yeah it was kinda strange to see 2 guys talking BC reels at a fly gathering! :074::074:

........ What is a Fishraider social without a close-up photo of Mr Cools head??

You ARE kidding aren't you James? Geez I worry about you sometimes! :wacko:

This is the best I can do! :074::074:

post-4-1130749560_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the day - it makes organising them worthwhile and worth the agro I get from the :wife:

Its a pity North Narrabeen didn't turn on the best weather for us, but had that predicted 20 knot Nor'easter turned up it would have been a shocker :1yikes: . Anyway, I reckon under the adverse conditions you would have had a hard time finding a better place to be [that I can mention here].

I reckon you fellas had better get in some practise on the fly before the next fluffchuckers social as the next one may not be so forgiving :074: Remember, casting bread flies at a bit of floating bread does wonders for the accuracy, can be done almost anywhere and as Pogo says it is all in the lift and "STOP". :thumbup:

I too will add my thanks to George for putting the day together and ABA for there support.

The weather did it's thing but I still had a good time seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new people.

Also scored a first with a mullet on the bread fly...almost got his mate though I dropped him for an early release. :1fishing1: Got a few good tips watching over big petes shoulder.. :1prop: and a few ideas peering into agents fly box.

Narra and pogo.....well done on the casting instruction :thumbup:

Baitcasters and clogs???...well I have never been a purist so i won't be starting now :biggrin2:

alex

Was my first social, and being just down the road, was nice and convenient too. Didn't get to throw some fluff, but was good to meet a few of you! pity I had to go to lunch otherwise a few beers would have been tasty.

My thanks also to the guys for organising and especially to Bluecod for that nice dry tarp!! Awesome prize too, thanks ABA!! Pity I didn't turn up in time to claim it :mad3: See yall at the next one (hoping it has something to do with Jew's)

kingy