Eucambean iver

Tysh

Dear Fisho's,

just spent 3 fantastic days on the Eucambean river with my son and two of his friends. The two young men have never caught a fish so I spent sometime in TRYING to teach them the fine art of fly fishing, well they were as happy as pigs in mud as they all managed one fish each  ( all returned) as they were just under 50cm.

I manager 11 in all with only one kept ( see Pic) a 67cm brown trout jack. But with low water and very clear visibility it was hard work. But it was great seeing the young guys now looking at buying their own gear for both fresh and saltwater as they are pretty keen.

20170520_131840.jpg

2 hours ago, turtleman said:

Nice catch Tysh. Ive been google mapping that river for public access for months. Its a massive system. Can you share a few driveways :) if possible.

cheers

Public access available at Denison campground, providence portal where the cabins are. The alpine sawmill fire trail, 4 mile trail at Sawyers hut off the highway amd at Kiandra. The Eucumbene is on Snowy Hydro amd National parks land with Snowy Hydro allowing public access. Please respect the access rules at Denison. It's a great fishery but this year has been tough. Sorts the once a year trout Angler's out from the rest! Lol. To date my best seasonsco. The Eucumbene have been 2014 and 2015. Check DPI website they have loads of info. Hope the above helps

On ‎6‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, turtleman said:

Nice catch Tysh. Ive been google mapping that river for public access for months. Its a massive system. Can you share a few driveways :) if possible.

cheers

The best access is from the Portal at the Denison caravan park as you can get closer to the river and then walk it. The best time is just before sunrise for about two hours and then on dusk. If your fly fishing use a glow bug (orange) with a black bead head nymph. You will need some split shots to get the flies down quickly especially if fishing the channels and runs. If lure fishing paddle tail rainbow trout plastics work as do most bright divers

keep your license on you as some people got stung.  Check when the season closers as I think its this weekend

Personally not a split shot guy for fly fishing but it works well! I prefer swinging a big tungsten cone head zonker fly with a trailing  glo bug or upstream nymph with a  double tungsten bead nymph amd glo bug. Weight your line according to the flows. And yes all rivers designated trout waters close midnight this coming Monday amd reopen October long weekend in NSW.

2 hours ago, turtleman said:

@Tysh, @luderick -angler Thanks guys. Well than, this closure will give me a chance to get my gear right for the opening. 

Cheers

Opening weekend your best fishing up around 4 mile trail amd Kiandra especially if we get big rain in September. The rainbows will push up. I do recommend catch and release of the bows as their numbers are lot lower in the system than the browns and the idea is to try to get them to recruit!