Pipis

oz_brett

Hi Guys
We had trip to South Australia in January & the highlight of the holiday was getting pipis. Now that we are home the wife is at me to go get pipis but where can I get them around Sydney & is there a time of year for them or are they all year round?
Ive heard you can get them at Stockton beach is there somewhere closer?

Brett 

You better check any warning signs before bringing them home to consume. A fair few places around the coast where you shouldn't eat them (mostly due to algae that is poisonous for human consumption). TBH I am not 100% which beaches are safe to eat from.

Also, I have seen reports of some people bringing them home to eat from some of those places you shouldn't and they're still alive today, but I just like to be safe and all since I have young children at home.

Thanks for the info guys, seems the rules are a lot harder here. When we were in S.A. the rules were max 300 per person with of course a size limit but was still with in reason. We only took 30 between us & didn't spare any for bait they were great eating!

Brett

unfortunately years ago there was so many pipis being pillaged it was crazy...I used to work in the pro industry and dig pipis on Stockton beach every now and then to supplement income..we never took huge amounts and only did it four or five times a year..one day we seen a group of Asian looking gents in three Nissan patrol utes with families all in other vehicles digging pipis down the beach..they had boards up the side of there trays 1200 high and had all the utes nearly full by the time fisheries arrived..i called them..they were handed huge fines and made to spread the entire loads of pipis down along the waterline....they were lucky to keep their trucks......the stocks are good on Stockton now  but who knows how many times these people get away with it....rick

53 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

unfortunately years ago there was so many pipis being pillaged it was crazy...I used to work in the pro industry and dig pipis on Stockton beach every now and then to supplement income..we never took huge amounts and only did it four or five times a year..one day we seen a group of Asian looking gents in three Nissan patrol utes with families all in other vehicles digging pipis down the beach..they had boards up the side of there trays 1200 high and had all the utes nearly full by the time fisheries arrived..i called them..they were handed huge fines and made to spread the entire loads of pipis down along the waterline....they were lucky to keep their trucks......the stocks are good on Stockton now  but who knows how many times these people get away with it....rick

good onya for reporting them

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

three Nissan patrol utes with families all in other vehicles digging pipis down the beach..they had boards up the side of there trays 1200 high and had all the utes nearly full by the time fisheries arrived

that is crazy

They are still doing it now, a case of ruining a good thing. I remember when I lived at Anna Bay, in the 50's we used to sit in the old planes that were on the dunes the raaf used for target practice, used to get sticks of cordite and light them up, collect old bullets and unscrew the caps to get the tracers , I think they were a yellow chemical, pipis were  everwhere, people used to live off them. Add a few decades more and the boat people came and soon discovered a free addition to the cafe menu with pipis, I really do not blame them I think there was not enough protection given to a natural resource but that was the times. It is a shame today that people can still come up and decimate them. I have tried all the methods to get the sand out of them and was talking to an old fisherman who had a pipi license and he reckons put them in an onion sack and tie them up under a wharf.

Better than putting them in a bucket of fresh water, he reckons he can get double the price when clean, the sand is ejected and they stay fresh in the salt water, mind you , the place would have to be kept in the family.