The kayak krews hairtail catch-up!

krause

Hi all, 

Yakkers! Let's do this, it's hairtail time.  Last year me and henryr joined the annual fr meet and had a ball, so let's repeat! I'm looking at this coming saturday, the 17th of june (pending weather) and have contacted a few people already, and good news! We have 3 conformed attendees!!!! Record numbers. 

Plan will likely be a launch down at bobbin head at mid afternoon, and head to warratah bay for a sunset anchoring. For there we will fish till bored, cold or sick of each other! Departure time depends very much on the group who attend, so please contribute your opinion.

So if youre keen for an adventure that's something a little different from your norm, then tag along. And bring a jumper! But really is pretty snug in a kayak seat, so don't fear the cold.  COME ON YAKKERS!!!!

Cheers 

P.S. let's make this a chat about who's coming or how to get them interested, not a discussion about it being too cold!!! :)

Edited by krause

Uuuuurrrggggh I said I'd never do it, but am thinking this might be OK. Especially if we're fishing for stuff other than slimey, spikey mouthed pseudo-eels during the arvo. 

Will check with the missus, but tentatively in for now. 

One question, though - does anyone have a link or something for rigs etc. for hairtail? Have literally no idea how to catch them.

24 minutes ago, Razzell said:

Uuuuurrrggggh I said I'd never do it, but am thinking this might be OK. Especially if we're fishing for stuff other than slimey, spikey mouthed pseudo-eels during the arvo. 

Will check with the missus, but tentatively in for now. 

One question, though - does anyone have a link or something for rigs etc. for hairtail? Have literally no idea how to catch them.

Fishraider article to the rescue!

http://www.fishraider.com.au/article/how-catch-hairtail/

Awesome :thumbup: me too. Once a year I think this is a must and it's much, much better with company.

Krause is right, lots of great little bays to visit on the way there. It's a nice paddle.

Yes, absolutely fish the arvo! Jewies for me has been further down the river. Round Bobbin Head I've only ever really fished for bream and the like round but I have chatted to a few people (yakkers & shore based) who get them in there.. As well as the arvo, low tide at 8:pm be worth having a live bait  (not just a dead pilchard) out too.

I am in the process of confirming. Looks like it might only be for the pm and back on land before nightfall though. Parking at apple tree bay is pretty good and it is just a bit closer to waratah bay. Will confirm asap.

Never landed a jew in the system, but dad hooked a damn nice fish right on high tide yesterday, my money was on a jew, or one hell of a tailor haha. Im happy to launch early

Dynabolt, henry, people in the know.  What ate the rules with apple tree bay (ATB). it says closed at sunset so ive never risked it, but it deffinately is more convinient in all regards.

Don't want to jinx anything, but I finally have a weekend off work that coincides with a FR outing. I'm pretty sure i'm in too. Where exactly are you launching from at bobbin head? off the jetty? Is everyone still going if it rains? Also keen for a morning start but happy to stay late if the weather holds out. 

Dynabolt is on the money. Apple Tree Bay is a much better launch spot.

Apologies from me, I think of both bays as Bobbin Head.Am pretty sure the closed after dark business refers to the park, not the boat ramp and parking. Lots of people use the Apple Tree ramp, there's almost always cars there overnight.

Sounds sweet. JTP start time is always varible, but the joy of the system is we can't really paddle past each other on the way to warratah bay so we can all meet out there. As for weather, if it goes to shit will see, im watching the forecast closely but will make a call later in the week

Just bought an anchor (normally I would just pedal to keep myself stationary but doing that for a couple hours might be a tad too long). What is the depth like in waratah bay?

Also I bought a block of pilchard I'm happy to split with someone as I'm pretty sure i'm not going to finish it. My bait freezer is filled with leftover pilchard (for berley) as it is.

Cheers Joe

1 hour ago, krause said:

Have 25- 30m of rope though.  Never hurts to have extra

Will do. Ive just set up my trolley system to allow for depth adjustment on the go (ive got 30metres of rope) and for quick release with a buoy if i need to detach to chase a fish/untangle or for safety reasons. It can probably use some refining so itll be good to see everyones setup. Ill prob launch around 9am. See everybody out there!

Joe

jtp, 9:am way too steep for me. I had a few shots last year at fishing all day before sitting out the cold and the dark and I never lasted very long in to the night doing it that way !

What time other thinking of starting ?

Think I might actually aim to get there for 1 - need to do some stuff in the morning.

What's the actual fishing plan in case we arrive at separate times? Anybody want to head up to Smiths creek for the high tide?

1pm sounds pretty managable. I like the sound of trekking up to Smiths Creek too. Tho, from Apple Tree Bay, in my little tub at least, it's about an hour of paddling. We'd only just catch the tide. Then need to be back at Waratah by 5:30, if not earlier - sunset is 5:pm. Wind, might be absolute decider. The forecast has eased but there is still some predicted.... Meet 1:pm and see how we feel and what conditions are?

Edited by HenryR

My plan was to putter along up to warratah bay fishing allong the way. I always complain about paddling hahaha, but im sure henry will join you on a smith's creek expedition.  And where the numbers go i go. Ive got everyones numbers but all else fails we'll either paddle past each other or meet at w.bay