Can I get an id on this fish?(Eastern Frogfish)

Joshmm

Question

18 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, ARC H said:

yeah im with rick stargazer

did it fight?

Nah couple of little nibbles at the start and just came straight in. I have fished around here for years and never seen anything like it 

Sorry i have no idea,looks like something you would get from the Jungle river somewhere in South America or see on National Geographic.

Anyway looks ugly and looks poisonous,not something you would put on the dinner plate presented as a whole fish with chips or salad. :lol:

Edited by DMG

13 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

dmg you must have this foto stuck on your system its coming up every post

He has added this pic to his signature @rickmarlin62 and other members - you can hide a member's signature content by clicking on the little red x or arrow to the right of their sig.

@DMG perhaps you might remove this pic from your sig? It seems to be causing some confusion ;)

It is definitely an eastern frogfish, as mentioned earlier. 

As a long time scuba diver and underwater photographer in the 90s and early 2000s, I am quite familiar with most common fishes of the Sydney region.

If any of you are unsure of an ID, or want confirmation, please feel free to contact my good friend Mark McGrouther, who is the Ichthyology Collections Manager at the Australian Museum of Sydney. And he has been for about the last 20 years or even longer.

Mark.McGrouther@austmus.gov.au

1 hour ago, Amatteroflight said:

It is definitely an eastern frogfish, as mentioned earlier. 

As a long time scuba diver and underwater photographer in the 90s and early 2000s, I am quite familiar with most common fishes of the Sydney region.

If any of you are unsure of an ID, or want confirmation, please feel free to contact my good friend Mark McGrouther, who is the Ichthyology Collections Manager at the Australian Museum of Sydney. And he has been for about the last 20 years or even longer.

Mark.McGrouther@austmus.gov.au

Welcome to fishraider. We have a mod on this section called Blackfish who is pretty good at ID of fish. He is aided by lots of cluey members :)

Funny you should mention Mark. Fishraider is well known to him. Any that we are unable to ID I send to the museum Icthyology Dept. 

Good to have another IDer onboard :)

• Thanks 1