Diverticulitis

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Has anyone been affected by this or know someone who is? If so I have a personal experience that might help.

diverticulitis is an infection of the colon caused by too much pressure combined with inflammation. The colon is part of the intestines which connects the stomach to the anus. Over time, pouches develop which get filled with faeces and then can become infected. The result is incredible pain, which can rupture, leak into your bloodstream and kill you. It mostly occurs when you hit 60 or older but I had my first attack and I'm 35.

the way you treat it is basically starve yourself for a week, take a load of strong antibiotics, then slowly start eating liquids, lettuce and other simple basic foods. You're incredibly hungry all the time and often in pain. Work is very difficult as you have almost no energy. If your condition deteriorates you have to stay in hospital for a couple of weeks. It can be operated on but you will need a bag to hold your poo and then have surgery again to remove the bag, there's no guarantees the new part of your colon or other parts higher up don't get affected again.

ive had two reoccurrences, not been fishing for over a month and lost almost 10 kgs. All this and I've started a new job and worked through imcredible pain and put in 60 hour plus weeks with next to no energy. I have a family to support, I have no other choice but to work and get better.

all the doctors, naturopaths, dieticians, user help forums throw up a variety of solutions. Go vegan, increase fibre, drink lots of water, take loads of weird supplements, you name it I tried them all. None of them worked. I still got flare ups. The last one happened while I had training in the US and I had to endure two horrid 14 hour flights.

anyway, as I am coming home from Sydney international airport, I'm trying to find my car in the long term carpark. As I located my car my bowels told me 'I'm emptying in the next 30 seconds whether you're ready or not!'. The nearest public toilet was back in the terminal and I would never make it in time. In desperation I located a bag from my car, huddled into a corner and performed a bowel evacuation squatting down like a rice farmer.

i won't go into detail but the relief afterwards was overwhelming. It was like the blockage had been removed. Driving home, I started googling. Seems like some info was published about on the problem with western toilets and the benefits of squatting like one third of the people do on earth, mainly from the developed world. You see, these 'primitive' people have almost no incidence of diverticulitis, IBS, bowel cancer, crohns diseases or any of the common bowel related illnesses that are plaguing the western world. Medical science have attributed this fact to diet and I am thinking they might have it all wrong.

1 week on ive had no reoccurrence and I have gone back to a normal diet. Again, I have my life back and I put it down to squatting on the toilet. It's too early to say yes this is the solution but I feel confident it is. If you know anyone who has similar problems to me I recommend you suggest they alter their toilet habits and try squatting. You might just save their life.

cheers,

Luke.

Luke there are many sufferers of diverticulitis, IBS, Crohns and the like. It is really disabling for some.

Hopefully you are connected with the organisations that can help you. There are also some apps that are proving to be helpful. Make sure that you have a good dietician (you can find an Accredited Practising Dietician here)

https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/medical/the-doctor-said-ive-got-diverticular-disease-what-should-i-eat/

Squatting has been well described as being helpful for bowel dysfunction. It changes the angles and releases pressure inside the intestinal tract. We do too much straining and getting constipated over our lives and that doesn't help!

Really hope you find some answers and make sure that you keep yourself healthy and well nourished.

Guest Guest123456789
8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Gee Luke that's an horrific story mate. I hope that you are over it and can get on with your life, getting some normality back.

Good luck BN

Thanks BN

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Luke there are many sufferers of diverticulitis, IBS, Crohns and the like. It is really disabling for some.

Hopefully you are connected with the organisations that can help you. There are also some apps that are proving to be helpful. Make sure that you have a good dietician (you can find an Accredited Practising Dietician here)

https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/medical/the-doctor-said-ive-got-diverticular-disease-what-should-i-eat/

Squatting has been well described as being helpful for bowel dysfunction. It changes the angles and releases pressure inside the intestinal tract. We do too much straining and getting constipated over our lives and that doesn't help!

Really hope you find some answers and make sure that you keep yourself healthy and well nourished.

Thanks Donna, I'm seeing a qualified dietician she is great.

flathead

On 21/06/2017 at 10:49 PM, flatheadluke said:

Has anyone been affected by this or know someone who is? If so I have a personal experience that might help.

diverticulitis is an infection of the colon caused by too much pressure combined with inflammation. The colon is part of the intestines which connects the stomach to the anus. Over time, pouches develop which get filled with faeces and then can become infected. The result is incredible pain, which can rupture, leak into your bloodstream and kill you. It mostly occurs when you hit 60 or older but I had my first attack and I'm 35.

the way you treat it is basically starve yourself for a week, take a load of strong antibiotics, then slowly start eating liquids, lettuce and other simple basic foods. You're incredibly hungry all the time and often in pain. Work is very difficult as you have almost no energy. If your condition deteriorates you have to stay in hospital for a couple of weeks. It can be operated on but you will need a bag to hold your poo and then have surgery again to remove the bag, there's no guarantees the new part of your colon or other parts higher up don't get affected again.

ive had two reoccurrences, not been fishing for over a month and lost almost 10 kgs. All this and I've started a new job and worked through imcredible pain and put in 60 hour plus weeks with next to no energy. I have a family to support, I have no other choice but to work and get better.

all the doctors, naturopaths, dieticians, user help forums throw up a variety of solutions. Go vegan, increase fibre, drink lots of water, take loads of weird supplements, you name it I tried them all. None of them worked. I still got flare ups. The last one happened while I had training in the US and I had to endure two horrid 14 hour flights.

anyway, as I am coming home from Sydney international airport, I'm trying to find my car in the long term carpark. As I located my car my bowels told me 'I'm emptying in the next 30 seconds whether you're ready or not!'. The nearest public toilet was back in the terminal and I would never make it in time. In desperation I located a bag from my car, huddled into a corner and performed a bowel evacuation squatting down like a rice farmer.

i won't go into detail but the relief afterwards was overwhelming. It was like the blockage had been removed. Driving home, I started googling. Seems like some info was published about on the problem with western toilets and the benefits of squatting like one third of the people do on earth, mainly from the developed world. You see, these 'primitive' people have almost no incidence of diverticulitis, IBS, bowel cancer, crohns diseases or any of the common bowel related illnesses that are plaguing the western world. Medical science have attributed this fact to diet and I am thinking they might have it all wrong.

1 week on ive had no reoccurrence and I have gone back to a normal diet. Again, I have my life back and I put it down to squatting on the toilet. It's too early to say yes this is the solution but I feel confident it is. If you know anyone who has similar problems to me I recommend you suggest they alter their toilet habits and try squatting. You might just save their life.

cheers,

Luke.

Flathead,

Just wondering how have you been lately?

cheers

Richard

Guest Guest123456789
22 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

flathead

Flathead,

Just wondering how have you been lately?

cheers

Richard

Touch on wood ive been great Richard, thanks for asking. Back to a normal diet (albeit smaller more frequent meals that includes less red meat and more salads and vegetables). But I've had a few food benders hot dogs, pies, chips etc and processed it all fine.

Guest Guest123456789
On 27/06/2017 at 11:22 PM, harold said:

My first wife died of colitis.

Sorry to hear that Harold. A really terrible condition it must have been very tough on you both.

18 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Touch on wood ive been great Richard, thanks for asking. Back to a normal diet (albeit smaller more frequent meals that includes less red meat and more salads and vegetables). But I've had a few food benders hot dogs, pies, chips etc and processed it all fine.

Sweet mate