Lowest ever river level

big Neil

These are some photos of the Murrumbidgee River which has been dropped to its lowest ever level, so that work can be carried out on the weirs and regulators... It is so low that you can't even launch a tinnie and even if you did, wouldn't be able to navigate far.

The end of the boat ramp...and several metres of mud. The water level is usually 2-3 mtrs above this. BN

IMG_8587rs.jpgIMG_8588rs.jpgIMG_8590rs.jpgIMG_8591rs.jpgIMG_8596rs.jpg

IMG_8594rs.jpg

1 hour ago, outdoordan said:

Look at all that great habitat!!! Could be a good time to do some lure collecting.

I hope that such a substantial drop in river levels and flow doesnt have too much of a negative effect on the natives.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem Dan. Still plenty of deep holes on the outside of bends. BN

Thanks Neil,

As you know I love the pictures of the 'bidgee.

I spent many a holiday fishing the river below the Burrinjuck Dam with my father and two of my three brothers who are no longer with us. We just camped and fished all day long and sat around the fire at night eating what we caught in the day.

We fished from the 70's thru to the 90's and saw feast and famine of native and the "acceptable" introduced species alike. We saw plagues of carp over running native species and the trout, much to our dismay. In some years we could easily catch 100 carp between the 4 of use each day.

I was  there in 2015 and caught small brown and rainbow trout fingerlings in the shallows at night. I thought that was like the river was bouncing back from the carp invasion - even though they were also introduced species.

Eventually, the place we went to (Childowlah) was sold off to in small private lots and we no longer had access. It felt like  the  connection between my father and my two brothers had been taken away.

Anyway, enough on the reminiscing... thanks again for posting the pictures.

Cheers'

Jim

BTW Neil,

I have been using some of your pictures as inspiration for some oil paintings I have been doing of late. I am going to put one of these in the Easter Show Art & Crafts section next year so no pressure mate! LOL

Cheers

Jim

52 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

BTW Neil,

I have been using some of your pictures as inspiration for some oil paintings I have been doing of late. I am going to put one of these in the Easter Show Art & Crafts section next year so no pressure mate! LOL

Cheers

Jim

Glad you like the pics Jim. I'm very pleased that you find comfort and connection with your family from the river. It certainly is a peaceful place and I love being there, preferably when there's some fish action though. My wife is an artist and we'd love to see any of your oil paintings Jim. Good luck with the "inspiration" for your Easter show entrant Jim, hope that you win. If you need any more pics just sing out. Rick suggested that the pics would be good reference for future sortees to the river...something I already use them for. Although, in all honesty, the fish are everywhere when the water is up, so it doesn't matter a lot. Cheers, Neil

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

lure collectings a great idea and marking all the best snags would be on my agenda neil....first from the air now from the bank...choice

Thanks Rick, I don't miss opportunities to get lures when I'm out in the boat. Problem is at present getting access in a boat. I do use the pics as reference sometimes, especially after a big flood like we had last year...when everything gets moved around a lot. Comes in handy at times, particularly locating shallow sandbanks and big hazards. Cheers mate ,Neil.

The advantage of the low water levels is you get a good look at where the structure is, and how it's laid out underwater! Another advantage you'll have over those sneaky cod once the water level rises again.

Cheers,

Wellzy

4 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

The advantage of the low water levels is you get a good look at where the structure is, and how it's laid out underwater! Another advantage you'll have over those sneaky cod once the water level rises again.

Cheers,

Wellzy

True Luke, just wish I knew how to get them to bite more regularly mate. Neil

13 hours ago, ARC H said:

has the change of the river put any of the fish there of biting

Yep ARC H. The fish are normally very sedate in the Winter, but this year with the water level being dropped so low you can't get a boat in to even TRY to catch them. Cheers, BN