In Pursuit of Winter Whiting

drc2076

I hadn't fished from a beach since Easter and I just had a hankering for it this weekend. The weather was benign and the tides were right so no excuses not to go. My goal was to see if the winter whiting were still around. Headed out pre-dawn and discovered the Narrabeen bait shop didn't have any live beach worms. Ah well, loaded up with the packaged and preserved ones and headed down to Dee Why. Mental note, learn how to catch live beach worms. First cast as the sun was rising and for the first half hour not a touch. Cursing the preserved worms I reached into my bag and found a small tub of sax scent in bloodworm. I smeared that over my worm and tossed it back out. And we were on! A pair of double hook ups on my two hook rig and then around 16 more over the course of the next couple of hours. The fish were holding near in to the beach and a slow retrieve through the close gutter was consistently getting their attention. So the good news was plenty of fish, the bad news was that they were all one or two centimetres shy of legal. No keepers on the day but plenty of action to keep me engaged. Not a bad way to spend a morning.

6 minutes ago, Squid Inc said:

Great report. Narrabeen beach is an excellent worming beach. Its a lot of fun pulling beach worms out of the sand there too, most people on the beach don't even know they exist. 

Need to work on my technique. I can find them and get them up but the little buggers are just too quick for me. So far. I normally buy from Narrabeen just because I'm time poor (hard to find a few hours for fishing let alone bait gathering) but if stock is going to be limited in the cold months I can see I'm going to need to take matters into my own hands. Literally.

Edited by drc2076

The key to catching beach worms is pinching them really slowly. Where most people get it wrong is striking at them quickly.  If you slowly pinch them, they won't even know that you have touched them till it's too late.

If you can find an hour on low tide, bag limit is 20 whole or pieces, take them home and put them in a jar of metho straight in the freezer. They will last for years.

16 hours ago, bluefin said:

SAX SCENT works again. I swear by the stuff !   Howard.

Gotta admit, I'm now a believer. When I ran out of worms I started using gulp soft plastic sand worms also smeared with sax. No change in the hook up rate.

Well done Drc.  I was fishing for blackfish at Curly recently and a local told me he's been getting a few whiting.  It's definitely worth persevering with worming.  I love going down to the beach on a low tide, catching a few worms, then fishing the gutters on a rising tide. Thx for the tip re SAX scent!

On 6/26/2017 at 10:19 PM, Burnsey said:

Well done Drc.  I was fishing for blackfish at Curly recently and a local told me he's been getting a few whiting.  It's definitely worth persevering with worming.  I love going down to the beach on a low tide, catching a few worms, then fishing the gutters on a rising tide. Thx for the tip re SAX scent!

How do you go at Curly for blackfish? Always looks pretty crowded whenever I go by.

A number of guys catch them from the ledge, however I usually fish the corner of the pool - easier & safer.  It fishes well in the right conditions when there's a hole at the southern end of the beach.

12 hours ago, Burnsey said:

A number of guys catch them from the ledge, however I usually fish the corner of the pool - easier & safer.  It fishes well in the right conditions when there's a hole at the southern end of the beach.

Cheers Burnsey, must give it a try. I've only really looked at flat rock, never considered the pool. Easier and safer is right up my alley! Tight lines.