Holiday Fish

Hi Raiders,

Been a while since my last confession, work has been crazy so it was great to get away overseas for a few weeks. I took almost a month off, spent 3 weeks exploring Thailand and fished the last week at home.

Thailand:

When I was over there, I had booked a few days at Gillham's, which is a fishing resort. Basically, the lake is stocked with all the usual suspects from River Monsters (unfortunately Jeremy Wade was not there!) along with some monster Asian Carp species. If you are in anyway connected to the UK or their Carp fishing scene, chances are you have heard of this place. Whilst I was over there, I caught a couple of monster Julian's Carp and Pacu. The teeth on those Pacu are horrific, they are almost human like and they also have a beak a bit like a leather jacket. I had one bite the hook completely in half. I had my heart set on an Aripaima but no beans. I almost dropped a 140lber Siamese Carp at the net. If you want any idea of how hard these fish pull, I was fishing almost locked drag on 80lb and these things were still pulling string with fight times ranging from 20 minutes to 2 hours.

Home:

Within the space of a week, fishing had changed dramatically which I anticipate aligned with the arrival of cooler water. I had started the week off pink grubbing and sugapenning the canals and ended the week fishing deep pockets with blades, plastics and cranka crabs. As it stands, bream are holding tight and deep and responding really well to ecogear zx30's z-mann 2.5 inch swimz in watermelon (fished on HWS jigheads), ecogear grass minnows (texas rigged) and cranka crabs in brown, ecogear sx40 in olive. By-catch has been small Mangrove Jacks, flathead and the odd moses perch.

Impoundment Bass are also holding tight around bait (I think they are baby bony bream?) and are being taken on blades, tail spinners (megabass, sebile), RMG crazy deeps, and el cheapo flicker shads in the 70 range.

Bream gear: Shimano Raider, Shimano sustain 1000, 4lb braid/leader

Bass Gear: Shimano Raider Bass, Daiwa Alphas 103, 10lb Samaki braid/10LB Asari

Hope everyone is well, enjoy the pics,

Stan

June Fish 1.jpg

June Fish 2.jpg

June Fish 3.jpg

June Fish 4.jpg

June Fish 5.jpg

June Fish 6.jpg

June Fish 7.jpg

June Fish 8.jpg

June Fish 9.jpg

June Fish 10.jpg

Getting a chance to fish overseas is an opportunity I've yet to take! Good on you for getting into fish you can't get around here.

You're right about those pacu, they've got a nasty set of chompers!

That carp also has a beatiful sheen to it.

Cheers,

Wellzy

3 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Getting a chance to fish overseas is an opportunity I've yet to take! Good on you for getting into fish you can't get around here.

You're right about those pacu, they've got a nasty set of chompers!

That carp also has a beatiful sheen to it.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Thanks Wellzy, you must add it to your bucket list. I was originally thinking of bringing my own gear but so happy i didnt. I spent 2 days camping in the jungle with elephants etc. So it would have been a nightmare. I got heaps of Thailand pics for anyone whos interested. 

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report and fantastic pictures Stan. I particularly like the flathead picture with the net mesh reflected on its back. Well done young fella, B

Neil, great to hear from you. Have the cod come back on or still no beans? I have to get down there and tick a cod off the bucket list...ill bring the beers? 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Love your work Stan! Don't think I'd be standing in the water with those pacu! Looks like your doing pretty well at home too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Scratchie, i must admit i was pretty nervous especially after that "ball cutter" episode of river monsters! Looking forward to port stephens jewy reports mate! 

1 hour ago, ARC H said:

nice work some weird fish there plus the good old ozzie ones

Thanks ARC, i must admit i do miss the surface bite of summer :(

1 hour ago, Regan said:

nice catch

looks like you had a nice holiday

those carp look like the have a bit of power behind them

are the second pic of a pacu

Thanks Regan, yes the second picis the pacu. They are a very muscular and hard fighting fish. I forgot the pliers so was very nervous dehooking the fish, especially after the one before bit through a sokid hook! 

1 hour ago, PRED-ATOR said:

I forgot the pliers so was very nervous dehooking the fish, especially after the one before bit through a sokid hook! 

i would be scared to do that too