north coast trevs

Headed up to Coffs Harbour this morning and of course the fishing rod came with me Stopped at my favourite tree on the way up with the perfect weather anticipation was high. Its funny how fish can bring you back to reality after about 20 casts not even a bump. As a last ditch effort i tried a rapid twitching retrieve and straight away it was nailed 

20170630_131330.jpg

not a big moses perch but a start Now with some inspiration I kept casting with some success

20170630_131459.jpg

with some small GT's

20170630_131852.jpg

then big eyes also jumped in on the action only small fish but still fun

With some success I headed to Coffs and with some time to fill in I headed to the marina 

started casting a zerek shrimp around and after a few miss hits it was finally taken after a solid struggle a silver trevally came up

20170703_105013.jpg

I havn't caught these guys before and I'm amazed how hard they go pound for pound match with a GT all you can do is hold the spool and stop them from burying in the pylons

With a bit of perserverance I started hooking them more regularly 

20170703_112455.jpg

mostly around 28-30cm

20170703_112839.jpg

got a few with yellow fins I think are a subspecies

20170703_125404.jpg

Then a take from a better fish he took the lure out in the middle and ran straight towards me to the pylons had to hang out as far as possible grab the spool and pull as hard as possible and with some luck out came this guy

20170703_121242.jpg

he was a better quality of fish going 34cm these guys just dont give up 

Then another take right at the base o the pylons luckily it ran outwards first all i could say to the guy fishing next to me was "I think I'm in trouble" I was ran up and down the jetty up under the pylons and by some miracle out again and finally the beast surfaced

20170703_110953.jpg 

he went 38cm but would have weighed every bit of 1.2kg 

don't know exactly how many I caught but it was some of the best white knuckle fishing I have ever done 

lure of choice was the Zerek live shrimp 2.5"

cheers for reading 

Dave

Good stuff Dirvin! Those trevally are hard fighters for their size.

As for the yellow coloration of the fins, I'm pretty sure that's common for juvenile and sub-adult silver trevs. Once they reach adult stage, they lose the yellow in the fins.

Cheers,

Wellzy

nah those trevs with the yellow fins are a different species - compare them to the silvers in the pics - different body shape but also totally different fin shapes and placement. silvers don't change their fin shape and placement as they grow. don't know what species they are. great little session mate. 

7 hours ago, bombora said:

nah those trevs with the yellow fins are a different species - compare them to the silvers in the pics - different body shape but also totally different fin shapes and placement. silvers don't change their fin shape and placement as they grow. don't know what species they are. great little session mate. 

I agree best answer I have found is what were collectively known as "silver trevally" Pseudocaanx georgianus are now 2 separate sub species the yellow finned ones being Pseudocaranx sp "dentex" that's my theory anyway