Fly Swap

nick_s

So what is a Flyswap?

A fly swap is a process whereby the participants each get to practice tying an individual pattern which they send off to a swapmaster. The swapmaster then divides all the flies up and sends back to the individuals one fly from each of the participants.

An example

The Swapmaster decides a theme, closing date and max no of participants eg Barra Flies, 15 March and max of 4 participants

Each individual nominates on the post for the flyswap saying what they will tie.

4 participants (A,B,C & D)

A (who is also the swapmaster) decides to tie a clouser

B decides to tie a pink thing

C decides to tie a deceiver

D decides to tie a bush pig

All of them tie 4 of their fly and send to the swapmaster.

The swapmaster sends back to each one each of the flies that they did not tie eg C gets a clouser, a pink thing and a bush pig. The extra fly left over is for the swapmaster. In this case the swapmaster is also a participant so he gets 2. The swapmaster does not have to be a participant (and in that case only gets one of each fly).

When sending your flies to the swapmaster it is vital that you pack your flies correctly, and importantly ensure you send a stamped self addressed envelope so your flies can be returned to you. Make sure the packaging you send is going to be sufficient to return the swapped flies. Buying express post or parcel post bags seems to be the best way to send and receive the packages.

If everyone has done the right thing and got their flies off by the due date the swapmaster should be able to package the flies for return within about 2 weeks where you can kiss your postie, unwrap your package and go fishing.

If you have any problems along the way (eg struggling to get them completed on time) just contact your swapmaster and have a chat.

Edited by nick_s

Guest bluecod

So if we do a wife swap & I am the organiser I end up with two ??? :ranting2::ranting2:

Pedro - not a smart move ending up with two :wife::wife: at once - you'll never get out fishing again

:074:

any one wanna put their hand up to run it :thumbup: will do it if no one else will cause they it soudent be that hard to run...but im 15 so maybe someone with a bit more organisation skills..remember if u are the swap master u can get 2 flys :thumbup:

ok ill run it ....salt water it a salt water fly swap

hears the list

narralakes -eye flys

me -bream poppers

weiry-fuzzle fish flys

yellowsub-?

bluecod-?

big on fly-?

cd container will be too small for some of the flys . in the last fly swap i was in i sent a small plastic box that trev had sent me . i wrapped that in 2 brown papper bags and sent them away in that.. postage was around 4.00 so send that with your flys or even beter send a self adressed/stamped padded bag from auspost..

anyone else?? space for more.ill set the date soon

Edited by nick_s

Yep I will be up :biggrin2:

Was going to offer to manage it though I am very busy at the mo so did not want to commit.

I would have said 'eyes' though Narra beat me to it so I will tie....what I think is called a shaggie dog...tied on size 1 black magic recurve hooks. Good for floating down a burly trail.... not that I have given them a swim yet. :1prop:

The swap should have a limit so we have an idea how many flies we will be up for.

alex

Here we go again.....,

I am a sucker for fly swaps.

I'll tie a variation on Pauls polafibre probably a poddie mullet profile.

Good containers for larger salt water flies are old video containers. Glue in a strip of foam.

Another suggestion is for each tier to put a tag on their flies with its name and who tied it and their email address to get a pattern sent out. Just print a single line with the info and push ove hook bend.

Attached is an adapted tying instruction template that I have used in other swaps.

Cheers

Trev

I agree with Alex,

Can I suggest that we keep this swap to no more than 10 tiers!

That means everyone ties 11 flies and gets 10 back as the swapmiester keeps two of each for his hassles.

tying_instruction_template.doc

Edited by trev

Guest bluecod

I'll be in if you'll can put up with my hot melt and nail polish type No.2 salmon clousers, - if the dog gets slower I might be able to throw a bit of dog in the mix as well :biggrin2:

I know they work on sambos and blurters, but anything else, who knows ???

narralakes -eye flys

me -bream poppers

weiry-fuzzle fish flys

yellowsub-shrimp immitations

bluecod-salmon clousers

big on fly-prawn immitations

alexit-shaggie dog

trev-poddie mullet profile

ok limit of 10 sounds good

yellow sub and big-on-fly can u please confirm :thumbup:

Edited by nick_s

Doing a good job Nick, and lots of good suggestions everyone. Here's a pic of the eyes, I'll make up a couple of colours, they are a bit rough but the salmon seem to like the red ones. Iv'e caught over 10 salmon on the small red one so far in the two latest outings now, missing a bit of deer hair, but is still good for a fish or two.

Does anyone know anywhere that is getting rid of fly tying material on the cheap. I have a bit but have not really done much trying myself and have tended to buy my flies. I know a a lot of places are selling off their fly gear cheap cause of the plastics boom.

narralakes -eye flys

me -bream poppers

weiry-fuzzle fish flys

yellowsub-shrimp immitations

bluecod-salmon clousers

big on fly-prawn immitations

alexit-shaggie dog

trev-poddie mullet profile

pogo

start tying

Edited by nick_s

Guest bluecod

Why have I been scratched????

Can I assume it is some strange error?

And do I guess we are all go for 9 flies each?

alex

Must be a rash around Alex, either that or a heavy track :074: sorry humour gets warped this time of night :1prop:

Nine would suit me as well.