Nymboida River help

58 minutes ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Hi all,

I am planning on taking my family camping to Nymboida River next week.  What can I expect to catch in this river and what techniques should I be using to target fish in this area.  Also can you catch freshwater yabbies / crays in this river and if so how?

Cheers,

Central Coast Fisherman

G'day CCF. The Nymboida River area is a beautiful part of the country. I have fished there many years ago. There are Eastern Cod in there but they are a protected (endangered) species and you can't actually target them. There are small bait fish (something like Mullet) which can be caught on bread. Also big eels which respond well to worms fished on a running sinker rig. You won't catch yabbies in Winter as they hibernate in the cold weather. Freshwater Crayfish you will have to check DPI regulations to see if you can catch them. Most rivers don't allow for them to be targeted as they too are an endangered species in many areas. Hope this helps, lovely area even if the fishing is somewhat limited. Cheers, Neil

cod are protected  bass are closed season and traps are illegal sorry not much help...if you go higher and further west you cant target trout as closed season on them too..wrong time of year mate...I caught some murray cod last week but they are in west flowing rivers...rick

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

yeah wrong time of year neil cant even go for a swim unless your a polar bear...we did over 800 ks last week just for a day fix of cod...sometimes I think im mad..hahahaha

You're not mad Rick, just keen.Time was when I'd do that too but I'm so over driving distances in a limited time frame. Don't enjoy long distance driving much these days Rick. Normally don't have to worry about travelling far but it's been a s..t year here on the 'Bidgee with 6 months of floods and now no water. Not to worry I'll get a fix somewhere and then I'll be ok till December. Meantime you guys keep tweaking my interest with your reports. Cheers, BN

I was up there on the weekend the river was a bit dirty from some recent rain I spent 5 hours casting for zip.

The only fish I have caught up there are cod which there are loads of it is technically illegal to target them but if you do catch one (if the water is clear you almost certainly will, there are thousands) carefully release it.

purple spinnerbaits in 3/8oz - 1/4oz are the go to lure for the nymboida

there are plenty of eels and catfish

if your heading into the nymboi-binderay national park camp grounds keep in mind its damn cold at this time of year and even polar bears avoid the water. If cod hole is your destination try walking downstream from the main campsite around the corner with the rocky hill at your back (you'll know it when you see it) this is prime fishing water, when I say walk I mean slog through the nastiest undergrowth I've ever encountered.

most importantly enjoy one of the most beautiful places I have ever fished

good luck

Dave