Swansea Offshore

Barnacle

I recently moved north from the Cowan Creek area to the Central Coast. I know Pittwater, inside and offshore plus off Sydney like the back my hand but off Swansea - no idea of what or where. Any members with hints on a few snapper spots? this time the year there should be a few ready for a feed.

Also I recently picked up another boat, a nice Quintrex 570 Legend centre console pushed by a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke.  A well set up as a fishing platform. Went out from Swansea (one up) last Sunday (in company of a bar crusher) but found nothing of much interest. Wouldn't mind a crew member to join me next Monday (possibly) heading out from the the Blacksmiths ramp at Swansea.

mate..unfortunately compared to the rest of the coast north or south Swansea is a reef desert...theres a couple of closely guarded small reefs to the south out to 60 mtrs..the most reef is in 90mtrs plus known as the farm..jackets are a major problem out there..there is a few reefs shallower but you need to travel south of wybung out from bird island to find a sprinkling of reefs..i live at gorokan.but lived at gwandalan for 14yrs and Swansea for twelve before that..ive fished the lake an out from Swansea all my life...these days I bite the bullet an head to port stephens every chance I get...where do you live now..we might be able to organize a trip..i have a vsea and definetly fish every third wknd of month as this is my local comp wknd...I try an get out as much as possible but cant always get an offside..i don't mind jumpin in with others if I can help find a feed...rick

Thanks for the input Rick. I was wondering how it is down past Catherine Hill Bay - the Quinnie certainly handles well outside as I found on my first run last Sunday with a reported 2.2m swell and seas to 1.8. Was invited to follow a crew in a Bar Crusher heading down the coast and found the Quinnie seemed to handle the conditions a bit better. A trip from Swansea out on the lake might be the go. A friend mentioned there a good catches of flatties and bream there at the moment.

We back onto the river at Wyong so Port Stephens is a bit of a hike. Might head back to my old stamping grounds and launch at Brooklyn - a lot closer than Port Stephens but I wouldn't mind the occasional trip to Port Stephens - had some good sessions up there including some great fun with marlin north of and around the car park. The alternative is Terrigal Haven although not too good in a north easterly but this time of the year is fairly good.

For a trip north, I'm fairly flexible on time (subject to my wife) as I work three days, Wednesday to Friday. Brian

Hi all...kingies frequent Swansea bridge piers the drop over and moon island,live squids the go and can get them in the Chanel anywhere between blacksmith ramp and the bridge,the drop over and moon island Chanel side.snapper can be caught around the southern side of moon island along those broken line of bommie reefs.

a mate of mine catches snapper on the barge just north of the drop over on a regular basis.

Hi all...there is a wreck not far out from moon island that I have caught snapper from,sorry I can't help with coordinates as I don't have them.there is a wreck off Catherine hill bay in around 50 meters of water,I've tried to find it and couldn't,it is a closely guarded secret apparently.but if you can find it ,your on a gold mine.its called the advanced it's a tugboat.

both wrecks are basically gone..sanded up or broken up..the advance hasn't had decent fish for years....we used to get jew there but we are talkin 20yrs ago....I have two jew spots close to Swansea but I don't give these marks out..the couple of small pinnacles down from the sharkfin fish alright sometimes but are hard to find..you need to travel down to the fauklins or cones out from bird is or further to norah for consistent reds.. for kings 23 miles to the perch grounds off norah mistakenly called texas..which is in closer...there is reef nth off redhead and Dudley but its hit an miss...the majority of kings in the channel of late are undersize and its a lot of work for nothing..you can jig good squid inside moon is or blackies bommie...ive fished out here for 40 yrs and im getting sick of donuts locally so thats why I head nth to the bay...rick

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Thanks 1

Thanks blokes (I have a problem with guys) you've given me a lot to think about and work on. Will definitely head out early on Monday and see what I can turn up. The plan is to use bought bait first off to get the early morning light and then see if I can find some squid later for future use plus as a destination reference point and confidence booster in what for me is a new area. 

I've mostly done best with kingies more towards summer and especially when the salmon start to turn up. will stick with chasing snapper on Monday unless others feel this is a waste of time

• 2 years later...

Hi sorry for the off topic but my names Craig “red beard” I’m new to the area from the south coast looking to find some potential fishing mates as I have sold my boat to make to move not looking For a free ride happy to pay my way but I want to get back on the water and fish as I don’t know the area I want to try some off shore seems like a good place to try if any one looking to add an extra rod to a fish let me know 0415833457 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 2:34 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

both wrecks are basically gone..sanded up or broken up..the advance hasn't had decent fish for years....we used to get jew there but we are talkin 20yrs ago....I have two jew spots close to Swansea but I don't give these marks out..the couple of small pinnacles down from the sharkfin fish alright sometimes but are hard to find..you need to travel down to the fauklins or cones out from bird is or further to norah for consistent reds.. for kings 23 miles to the perch grounds off norah mistakenly called texas..which is in closer...there is reef nth off redhead and Dudley but its hit an miss...the majority of kings in the channel of late are undersize and its a lot of work for nothing..you can jig good squid inside moon is or blackies bommie...ive fished out here for 40 yrs and im getting sick of donuts locally so thats why I head nth to the bay...rick

Hey mate, 

so the Texas that everyone knows is actually the perch grounds? Is the actual texas hard to find? I have a similar boat to your vsea, do you travel down from swansea? Hows the trip time?

cheers 

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Texas is in the 52  55 mtr mark  depending on sea cond  its 23 naut mile to perch grounds or bout 19  20  to texas  norah head is closer  but harder to launch

No worries, would it be possible to grab the marks via pm? If not all good ill head down this weekend or next and have a sound around :)

cheers

• 5 months later...

Don't suppose anyone reading this would have the (LM?) mark for Texas? Had it stored as this on my sounder but recently had to do a hard reset and it wasn't backed up. It was a nice little pinnacle south east of the main Texas mark.