Tackle Box/Bag recommendations

Wellzy94

Hey Raiders!

I'm on the shop for a new tackle bag or box, as mine is stuffed. The latch no longer holds on the tackle box, and I was due for an upgrade anyway.

My current box is a "starter pack" jarvis walker box.

Any recommendations on a tackle box or bag to hold a mix of terminal tackle, sinkers, SPs, jigheads, lures etc?

Hoping to spend less than $100, but willing to go to $150 for something quality that will last.

Cheers,

Wellzy

I got a waterproof laptop messenger bag.... originally for work but ended up as a fishing bag. Perfect for walking long distances climbing rock hopping etc etc if you are land based. Fits a small flat tackle box nicely and has a million pockets/compartments for all sorts of stuff.

If you are boat based or dont need to walk or climb with it maybe just go for something bigger though.

I have two or 3 actually, rectangle bag is my only bag i use now.

I have the hard Plano 3 tier tackle box, its empty as i didn't like it, great as a back up, put a few bits and pieces in it and stow away in the boat to get you by when you forget your tackle bag.

I have a Rectangle bag with 4 side pockets and 1 internal pocket, this is my go to bag, it has 2 medium sized divided tackle boxes (Hooks in one, SP & Lures in the other), 1 small divided tackle box (Sinkers & Swivels). The side pockets have my pliers, scissors, headlamp, Hook 5, SP Attractant. There is still a bit of room for spare line, Squid Jigs, floats and bits and pieces.

I also have a Back Pack, which used to get a bit of use when i didn't have a boat or i had the small boat and 3 kids with me, it was just a medium to large sports back pack, i used the same plastic divider trays as above, the advantage was it had loops which i could put my rod in to give me a free hand to hold my little ones hands when crossing roads.

This looks the goods as a cross between a back pack and tackle bag.

http://www.motackle.com.au/shimano-backpack-tackle-boxes.html

This is more like what i have but mine is the Rogue Bag

https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=shimano_tackle_bag_medium_13084

http://www.a shop.com.au/Product/Rogue-Compact-Tackle-Bag/402607?menuFrom=30602

I'm currently looking at backpacks with tray-box storage. They seem like a good way to lug around a lot of gear (and with space for food+drink), without wearing out one arm using single-shoulder bags or boxes. Shimano has one that looks really nice for about $115.

Edit: Jeff, that Shimano bag is the one I'm looking at currently!

if you are looking for a backpack these ones are a bit like the shimano one you are looking at

http://www.a shop.com.au/Product/Rogue-Trekking-Tackle-Bag/363515?menuFrom=30602

this kato one below is a quality bag and has more room than the rogue one

http://www.a shop.com.au/Product/Kato-Trekking-Pack-Tackle-Bag/363508

here is a very good bag, waterproof and will last you a VERY long time. also has space for your lures etc. on the top

http://www.a shop.com.au/Product/Plano-Elite-Guide-Series-3600-Tackle-Bag/348920?menuFrom=30602

Edited by Regan

Hi I got this at supercheap auto for about $30 I use in my tinnie and its great only thing is I moved my SP's to an old Icecream container as sometimes they leek (the ones that come in liquid scent). Been using for about 8 months love it.

taklebox.JPG

I have the kato trekking pack and luv it it has 4 tackle boxes heaps of pockets..hard plastic base with space between bottom and tackle boxes in the section above it glasses case...comfortable to wear for long hours hiking for murray cod..i highly recommend them...a shop have them on special every few weeks for under $60...rick

On 7/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I have the kato trekking pack and luv it it has 4 tackle boxes heaps of pockets..hard plastic base with space between bottom and tackle boxes in the section above it glasses case...comfortable to wear for long hours hiking for murray cod..i highly recommend them...a shop have them on special every few weeks for under $60...rick

I have one too. Good zips pocket for the sunnies and heaps of room...easy to carry too. BN

I wouldn't buy something that is called a "tacklebox". Companies do this all the time where they get something cheap and common and bang a hobby specific name on it to make it more niche and jack the price up. I have a toolbox I got from K-mart for 20$, it has served me well for many years and does the job perfectly. I looked on their website but I couldn't find my exact one, looks like they might have discontinued it. The point still stands you're better off just cutting out the middle man and buying a toolbox, instead of a rebranded toolbox being sold at a higher price because it says fishing on it.

12 minutes ago, Seasick said:

I also have this one and find it really good to use

http://www.a shop.com.au/Product/Kato-Trekking-Pack-Tackle-Bag/363508

Just wait for them to be on sale.

A few people have posted this same bag, which I'm keeping an eye on! Thanks :)
Cheers,

Wellzy

Not if you get a strong plastic zipper type.

I have had my bag for about 8yrs now and has plastic zippers. Works like the day I bought it.

Love my bag. Has so many pockets that I forget that they were there, inside and out.

Bought it at Complete Angler and it was on special from $100 to $40. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Had a Plano tackle box but didn't like it and gave it away. Bulky and if you drop it, thing can break.

Started from $1 woolies bag for tackle then moved to heavy duty back pack , then moved to shoulder bag with number of pockets and zippers. Zippers are not a problem if you wash the bag after contact with saltwater. I love shoulder Bag as I can fish and walk and both hands are free for fishing. Back pack means also free hands however overheated and sometimes wet back.

I personally prefer the soft bags that can take large sized tackle trays (e.g. plano), and the more pockets the better. Also as mentioned, look for ones with a plastic zipper! The one i have is an 'Ugly Stik' tackle bag and is the best I've had to date. 

Be a little wary of using boxes not designated as being for fishing if you are going to use it for soft plastics, as some plastics aren't wormproof (American term) otherwise your SPs may eat into the plastic.

Ron

30 minutes ago, campr said:

Be a little wary of using boxes not designated as being for fishing if you are going to use it for soft plastics, as some plastics aren't wormproof (American term) otherwise your SPs may eat into the plastic.

Ron

Spot on, Campr. For SPs I use a lure wallet, with a binder full of ziplock bags for my plastics. The other side of the lure wallet has a small compartmented container for hardbodies.

Cheers,

Wellzy

On 7/14/2017 at 8:32 AM, Wellzy94 said:

A few people have posted this same bag, which I'm keeping an eye on! Thanks :)
Cheers,

Wellzy

I moved to the soft tackle bag style about 3 years ago after using Plano hard case tackle boxes for many years.

I did this because in the rough and tumble of  fishing the swells around north and south head in the boat the hard plastic ones would get knocked around.

The only downside I have found is the salt water spray  ,will pretty quickly sieze up the zippers if they are not rinsed with freshwater and lubricated once a month or so.

Cheers

Jim