My first Australian salmon

Bryson

Been trying a lot of different spots lately around the eastern suburbs in the hope of catching something that will put a bend in the rod, tonight the mrs fancied a nap so I tied a new rig grabbed some frozen pillies and headed to the beach. 

Chose a spot which I thought was possibly a gutter (although I'm still not sure it was) waited for the last surfer to leave and cast out into the surf, after pulling my line in a couple of times unsure if I was getting bites or if it was the surf I finally left it out for longer than 10 mins and boom the rod crashed over and I was in. After a good fight I managed to beach my first Australian salmon. Buzzing. 

Stuck around about half hour longer and managed a silver travelly before the mrs woke and wanted feeding so had to leave. 

IMG_0894.JPG

Nice one Bryson, I still have trouble picking the bites when surf fishing. The bottom will be covered in corrogations and the sinker dragging and bouncing feels like bites. If in doubt apply a little pressure and if you feel weight strike. If you are using pillies on a gang you shouldn't be getting baited too quickly.

Good luck.

Was using single hook with half a pillie. I wrap the pillie with elastic to keep on the hook as I was advised to by a guy in the tackle shop, would I be better using gang hooks do you think? I'm more confident of telling bites now after seeing that salmon rip the rod over. Cheers for the reply flickn mad 

Hi mate,

i have been surf fishing and single hook with half pilchard seems to work better. However many fishos prefer ganged hooks. As bait I have used live yabbies (marine nippers) and targeted mostly whitings and flatties.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:04 AM, Bryson said:

Was using single hook with half a pillie. I wrap the pillie with elastic to keep on the hook as I was advised to by a guy in the tackle shop, would I be better using gang hooks do you think? I'm more confident of telling bites now after seeing that salmon rip the rod over. Cheers for the reply flickn mad 

I use long shank hooks thread hook through tail an back through half pilchard one hook length down and tie a half hitch around tail and hook just below eye of hook or even just above on the tail only, very quick to do and reliable. Plus no elastic left in the environment.

Well done mate, massively under rated sport fish in my opinion

I generally run a single circle hook off the beach and let them take it for at least 5-10 seconds before a steady pull (not a jerk) and they hook themselves...no need to distinguish the bites then ?

Nothing wrong with a good aussie salmon! Best to bleed them immediately upon catching, knife under the gill cover and cut straight through all the gills. Later, fillet and remove skin, cut out the dark red flesh along the centre line. You get some great fillets of a very firm fish, excellent in fish pie & curries, or I slice thin fillets, breadcrumbs on the BBQ! Bites: It takes time, but you can easily detect a bite if your rod is standing in a rod holder (a lump of seaweed can confuse). Cheers!

On 20/07/2017 at 7:02 PM, blaxland said:

I use long shank hooks thread hook through tail an back through half pilchard one hook length down and tie a half hitch around tail and hook just below eye of hook or even just above on the tail only, very quick to do and reliable. Plus no elastic left in the environment.

That's a good point about the elastic, I'll try your meathod next time? (Tomorrow if the swell allows) cheers blaxland

On 21/07/2017 at 7:01 AM, Adsy91 said:

Well done mate, massively under rated sport fish in my opinion

I generally run a single circle hook off the beach and let them take it for at least 5-10 seconds before a steady pull (not a jerk) and they hook themselves...no need to distinguish the bites then ?

Thanks for the tip mate ??

On 22/07/2017 at 1:23 PM, Holls said:

Nothing wrong with a good aussie salmon! Best to bleed them immediately upon catching, knife under the gill cover and cut straight through all the gills. Later, fillet and remove skin, cut out the dark red flesh along the centre line. You get some great fillets of a very firm fish, excellent in fish pie & curries, or I slice thin fillets, breadcrumbs on the BBQ! Bites: It takes time, but you can easily detect a bite if your rod is standing in a rod holder (a lump of seaweed can confuse). Cheers!

Thanks dude, I let this one go as the mrs had ordered Thai and wasn't sure the best way to prepare salmon and didn't want to keep it only to then throw it away, defo keep the next one and have a decent feed