Sand/Soda blasting

frankS

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone on the site could help me with some information about sand/soda blasters etc.

I have an old Brooker tinnie that I want to strip back to bare metal and was thinking about buying a cheap sand blaster from ebay  the one I'm thinking of is a 2 in one

model that sells for $297 delivered to Sydney. Does anyone have any experience with these blasters. I have a compressor that should supply enough air although I would have to stop now and then to allow the comp to catch up with air pressure, OR I could hire a more powerful compressor.

I am having trouble finding a distributor for the Sand/Soda or other suitable media for the blaster, everywhere I look up seems to be in Victoria and the freight costs would be expensive.

How much approx media would it take for a 14' er inside and out with old paint on it.

My mobile is 0406 906 116 just call me leave your number and I will ring you back as it costs nothing for me to call.

Any help is appreciated.

Frank

Hi frank,

both products work well, but you have to know the limitations that each have. 

Sand is great but is a little aggressive at times dependent on the media and supply pressure. Too close to the skin and you can heavily pit it yet to far and you may as well park it next to the beach on a windy day for the same result. Don't be tempted to reuse the media unless you have cleaned it well and consider that sand will get into everything and good ppe is required. Clean up is a pain. 

Soda has a lot of the same properties as sand but the clean up can be a bit easier as it can be hose down to get rid of the remaining media inside the structure. 

In both cases ppe is paramount. Masking down work areas and delicate wiring and fuel systems on the motor needs special attention. IM me and I can point in direction of some possible suppliers who would be able to give prices and coverage  

Cheers ric

I buy my blasting medium from Burrwell at Revesby.

i run a 4 cylinder diesel screw pump compressor. N 100 ltr hopper. Blast helmet n Breathing apparatus with filters.

those small blasters work but will take you a fair amount of time.

depending on how well the old paint adhered. 

You will brobably need at least 100 psi constant for them to work well.

i bought my setup to blast my own project cars etc,

but I hate using it because it's messy, dusty, a drama to setup etc etc.

i wouldn't wish it on anyone, lol,?

Id just ring a local blaster if I were you.

and it would save you the hassle and mess,etc

cheers

Edited by Trailcraft43

Thanks guys, paint strippers is an option but I have been down that road before and would rather try sand/soda blasting, hense the questions. I know it is very messy and the media goes everywhere and a pain to clean up, I intend to make a sort of tent in my driveway with drop sheets as an envelope so all floating media will be restricted to one area and fall on a drop sheet that will be easily cleaned up. I will have all the protective gear on, respirator helmet gloves etc. and will only be doing it in short stages. I have emphesemia and can only work in short spells. The boat will be stripped right back, no motor no electrics no cables etc, just may have to leave the windscreen on it but will think on that one.

My main problem is/was finding a supply source for the media close to my location and what would be the best media/abrasive to try. I think sand would be the cheapest but getting it dry enough may be a problem. The other abrasives is what I need to learn about and the amount I will need to do the job.

I can't afford to have it professionally done. I figure by the time I buy the blaster and drop sheets and depending on how much media I will need to do the job, it will cost me approx 1/2 of the cost of having it done and I will have the blaster for small jobs in the future.

Appreciate the feed back so far.

Frank

I sand blasted my box trailer before repainting a while back. My compressor was only a cheapie but the sand blasting helped get into the nooks and crannies. I THOUGHT I bought my sand at Super Cheap Auto but I MAY have got it at VGR Auto Paints at Girraween. They used to do a free Saturday morning workshop in spray painting - very worthwhile attending if they still run it.

After thinking on this quiet a bit I have decided to go with good old paint stripper, for a few reasons, you can buy a
hell of a lot of stripper for the cost of the sand blower, let alone all the added extras like hiring compressors and buying the media for the blaster.
Plus I can do the job bit by bit without too much preparation and clean up later, although stripper is pretty messy I can restrict the mess to one area.
I will go to Bunnings and buy 4 ltres paint stripper $59 for a start a couple of cheap brushes I have scrapers etc and drop sheets/plastic to catch the waste etc.
With the money I save I will be able to buy the etch primer and paint to do the job, haven't decided on colour yet, might go with Maroon and Black.
Then I need to buy alloy to make trailer frame, I have enough to do Xmembers and such.
Going to be a big project.

Thanks to all that replied to my request. I will be doing updates as I go, it will take a long time as I only do bit by bit.

Frank