Shimano catana

nutsaboutfishing

G'day fellow  raiders,

I've been using SP for a few years now, but recently I've started using lighter jigheads 1/16, 1/32 chasing bream. Currently I have a 6"6' Trion, but it occurred to me a longer rod would give be better casting distance. I've seen the Shimano Catana for $60. 

Is this a good rod? I've had a search around FR about it and people seem to have the 7" not 8" model. Obviously the 8" will cast further, is there a reason the 7" seems more popular?

Are there any other suggestions for a good bream rod?

thanks

Richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
Forgot to ask for other rod suggestions

The shimano catana is a good rod tho for a bit more money the shimano raider rods are an awesome plastics rod. I had a 2-4kg one but u can definately go 1-3kg for bream and flatties. They seem to be hovering around $130 but look around online and you should get it cheaper.

of course go try it out and see if you like it first

cheers

I own the 1-3 kg catana at 7 foot long and it does great on the bream with jigs from 1/32 all the way up to 3/4. landed some big fish on it but my personal favorite rod is the nexave its $120 and i feel like it has a lightly longer and smoother cast to it. None the less the catana is a great rod for the price  

1 hour ago, ARC H said:

the shimano raider rods are an awesome plastics rod. I had a 2-4kg one but u can definately go 1-3kg for bream and flatties. They seem to be hovering around $130 but look around online and you should get it cheaper.

at the moment they are on sale at freddys for $99

Catana is good for the price but pretty stiff. From memory the 8ft is a snapper rod so no good for light weights.

You'll be better off sticking with the trion.

As per arc's post, spend a bit more on a raider, they do a 7'6 bream rod which will be perfect for casting light lures long distances.

If you really want the ideal outfit get the daiwa kung fu prancer. 7'6", 1-3kg and casts the light stuff a mile. Weighs nothing too. Costs a bit tho.

Edited by jdanger
Typos

On 24/07/2017 at 4:32 PM, ARC H said:

The shimano catana is a good rod tho for a bit more money the shimano raider rods are an awesome plastics rod. I had a 2-4kg one but u can definately go 1-3kg for bream and flatties. They seem to be hovering around $130 but look around online and you should get it cheaper.

of course go try it out and see if you like it first

cheers

Trevor was kind enough to gift me one of the Catanas he had won in a competition which I then passed on to a friend new to fishing (thanks Trev!). From the couple of times I had a play with it I can say it's a great rod for it's price point. Good fast action and perfect for your bread and butter species.

Derek here has also highly recommended the Raider to me. I've played with his and had a look at some of the newer models and for a little extra dosh you get a slightly nicer rod with a nice cork butt that is fantastic for plastics.

Both rods are ideal for breaming, just depends what you like and how much you want to spend. ;)

Before you buy something at least have a look at the Shimano Bream Raider 7'6" 2 piece 2-4kg and 3-12gm lure weight. I find it long enough for good tip speed and casting distance. Strong enough through the main section (don't high stick) to land good solid fish (biggest so far kingfish and flathead both 70cm - still took a while though). Stiff enough in the tip to get the little twitches I like with the smaller soft plastics. A short rod butt so it doesn't bump against my forearm. The RRP price is usually about $120 to $130 but I have seen it often enough on special for $100. I fish mine with 4lb PowerPro which I believe over tests.

I once complained to Ian Miller that if he hadn't designed the Raider series so well I wouldn't have had to buy so many (own about 7 now - bream, snapper, barra, traveller versions, etc) as I love the way they fish. :D

BTW my first rod in the Raider series was the 1 piece bream as I took the advice of a friend that had had more lure experience than me at the time but 1 piece is just so cumbersome to transport that it lives in the garage for years now. With the 2 piece check that the pieces don't start to slip apart when new after lots of casting. For the one rod it has been a minor issue I just rubbed candle wax on the tip of the bottom half to assist with the friction lock.

Edited by DerekD

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Before you buy something at least have a look at the Shimano Bream Raider 7'6" 2 piece 2-4kg anHed 3-12gm lure weight. I find it long enough for good tip speed and casting distance. Strong enough through the main section (don't high stick) to land good solid fish (biggest so far kingfish and flathead both 70cm - still took a while though). Stiff enough in the tip to get the little twitches I like with the smaller soft plastics. A short rod butt so it doesn't bump against my forearm. The RRP price is usually about $120 to $130 but I have seen it often enough on special for $100. I fish mine with 4lb PowerPro which I believe over tests.

I once complained to Ian Miller that if he hadn't designed the Raider series so well I wouldn't have had to buy so many (own about 7 now - bream, snapper, barra, traveller versions, etc) as I love the way they fish. :D

BTW my first rod in the Raider series was the 1 piece bream as I took the advice of a friend that had had more lure experience than me at the time but 1 piece is just so cumbersome to transport that it lives in the garage for years now. With the 2 piece check that the pieces don't start to slip apart when new after lots of casting. For the one rod it has been a minor issue I just rubbed candle wax on the tip of the bottom half to assist with the friction lock.

Hey Derek thanks for the advice. I'm tossing up between the 7'6" 2-4 kg and the 7'2" 1-4 kg which has a 3-10gm lure weight. Any thoughts??

cheers

Richard

I like the longer rods for bream. They seem to help set the hook better, and the bream don't notice the weight

when they first pick the bait up. but they can be a pain when using them in the boat. I have 1062SP 2-4kg I think

it is a jarvis walker. I'd have gone the Catana, but at the time I was buying, they were a lot more money.

It has a either a 2500 or a 4000 reel and that seems to work quite well for me.

If I was to have to buy one again I'd still go with the 2-4kg just because I like the option to go the slightly heavier lure. I use 2 inch grubs and 3 and 4 inch minnows as my go tos. When I first fish an area I try and go for a quick easy flathead so I use a 9 gram jig head with either a 4 inch or 3 inch plastic which will kick it over the 10 grams. I want casting distance to start as I don't think the flathead really care too much about subtle. I also do a lot with halco twisty's in the summer and I like being able to punch them out. Once I have covered the area I then try and go a little more subtle on my lures and finish up with the grub. I generally won't go less than 1/8th as I find if I do I get more bird's nests (the lure weight helps line go on spool under a bit of tension). BTW I run a 1500 Symetre on mine but anything up to a 2500 should be fine. Just has to look and feel right. Balance point on mine is just a little forward of the cork section you screw down to lock the reel in. BTW just don't get too heavy on the cork when screwing it down as I have heard about people damaging them that way. I've fished my raider for over 8 years and usually weekly and it is still in pretty good condition.

In truth I don't think it would matter much which one you choose. They are close enough in spec that you would have to fish them side by side for a day and I am not sure if I could tell the difference between them. I fish mine off the boat but I have to be careful with the length and I put it away carefully when not in use (either in rod holder or a case). If you do buy any rod I highly recommend getting a case as I think more rods get damaged through transport than fishing mishaps.

Edited by DerekD

mate hands down F*&^EN great rod I cant fault them I have two now I know they or on the cheaper side of things but hands down a bloody ripper of a rod I use it for bream, flathead, salmon, murray cod everything awesome rods cant fault them 100%