Best way to finish a fg knot

Psycho fisho

I only use it for heavy tackle when doing a lot of casting - half hitches wont lock the knot sufficiently when under heavy pressure- Rizzuto finish is an excellent finish for the FG , biminis etc

i like four carefully lashed - no slack in there at all - alternating half hitches over the leader tag, clip the tag close and then I put about a half dozen more half hitches on the braid. I generally leave my knots in place until the leader runs out and really like to make doubly sure the braid tag doesn't work loose. I reckon the half hitches are crucial.

Psycho, dunno if you've seen this or not but, if you're just working fgs out, it is, I'm pretty sure, the very easiest technique for tying them

https://youtu.be/52uWL43hUbw

I note: he's probably tied more fgs than I ever will and thinks the half hitches aren't much more than a formality :)

I use it with 8lb line and have never had any issues with it. I used to use the double uni knot, but for some reason it would never work properly with the line I'm using. I then switched to a modified albright, but it was a bit on and off. Ever since I change to the fg I have never looked back.

Edited by Aardvarking

I agree with Dluke (who i think of as Flathead Duke). I use the easy method with the braid held in my teeth, then a couple of half hitches braid and leader tag,  pull tight cut close then half hitch and a three turn half hitch around braid only.

For estuary fishing I am using 6 or 8 lb low PE braided line which is 0.10mm diameter. The FG knot is the best knot I have used with this braid, although it can fail. I now wrap the line 30 times, then 4 half hitches, cut the excess leader, and complete the knot with another 4 half hitches. The best method I have found is to ensure the knot is pulled tight after the first 4 half hitches.

Guest Guest123456789
On 30/07/2017 at 7:07 PM, blaxland said:

I agree with Dluke (who i think of as Flathead Duke). I use the easy method with the braid held in my teeth, then a couple of half hitches braid and leader tag,  pull tight cut close then half hitch and a three turn half hitch around braid only.

Hold the braid with your teeth? Impressive. Sounds like you're skilled at managing objects with your mouth.

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Hold the braid with your teeth? Impressive. Sounds like you're skilled at managing objects with your mouth.

It's extra points if you do the whole knot in your mouth. That was you can leave your hands to do more fishing.

On 30 July 2017 at 7:54 AM, PaddyT said:

I only use it for heavy tackle when doing a lot of casting - half hitches wont lock the knot sufficiently when under heavy pressure- Rizzuto finish is an excellent finish for the FG , biminis etc

So do you use the ruzzuto finish on all your fg knots

As i said i only bother with the Fg for heavy tackle , I dont see any advantages for light tackle except with a rod with very small guides- the reverse albright is faster and easier to tie and just as strong  But in answer to your question I use the rizzuto on biminis and Fg's as a finish

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

As i said i only bother with the Fg for heavy tackle , I dont see any advantages for light tackle except with a rod with very small guides- the reverse albright is faster and easier to tie and just as strong  But in answer to your question I use the rizzuto on biminis and Fg's as a finish

What about snapper fishing, you don't see any advantage fishing over reef with a 5 metres of 16lbs mono or Fluoro on a floater bait or lure?