Is this an estuary cod?

LuckyFil

Went for a drummer fish this morning but they weren't playing as there wasn't enough wash. Bloody pain as yesterday my son Pat tried the same spot and it was too rough! 24 hours can make a big difference.

Apart from plenty of kelpies and a few wrasse we caught what I think is a baby estuary cod. Can any of the FR fish experts confirm this . It was returned carefully after taking the pic.

IMG_0629.JPG

As a consolation prize Pat had a fearsome tussle with a decent silver drummer which just did not give up and he gave it everything to get it clear of the barnacles.

I gather they aren't much to eat but more than make up for that with fighting power !

IMG_0630.JPG

Will give the drummer another go once the seas pick up a bit

Fil. 

Thanks Recurve and Blackfish - I had a look at the DPI site for Black Rockcod and it matches . The black blotch in the saddle of the tail seems to distinguish it from other cod.

It was a handsome little fella and gave quite a tough fight for its size.

Fil

10 hours ago, papafish said:

Nice catch there champ. were you guys using float? or bottom bashing?

we were using bread and cunje  with no float and small pea sinker - both fish were caught on cunje. The silver had a belly full of our bread burley so they will take both baits

17 hours ago, papafish said:

heyFil also if you dont mind me asking. where about were you fishing at? mind to share the spot? cheers

the rocks at the northern end of the Northern Beaches - can't be too specific as places get fished out quickly with drummer, but most ocean rock ledges around Sydney will hold drummer,  just look for a good amount of wash (white water) but with deeper drop offs and plenty of weed and cunjevoi (cunje) growing on the rocks. They don't like still clear water so you need plenty of wave action but this means risks so practice safe fishing i.e. rock cleats on shoes, consider a life vest and most of all watch the waves!!