Poppers, big and small

anthman

Hi all,

Looking to find some success using poppers! Is there anyone out there in the northern beaches or sans souci area (i know, north AND south) that could show me how to find fish with these?

I'm still looking to build my collection so thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. From what I gather, I plan to buy a variety of poppers that are:

* 10cm to 18cm in length

* 15g to 58g in weight

* small cup face (stickbait-ish) and large cup face 

* colour not really that important, but will be leaning towards blue/black, silver/blue, silver/black/spots and green/yellow/white combinations

Target fish would be any of the pelagics.

My preference is to fish safe locations - i.e. dont want to risking life and limb on a rock face with pounding waves!

Also - I'm not sure if this is the right time of year, maybe the summer...

thanking in advance!

around this time of year you can target tailor and salmon on poppers.

i like the molix s poppers/that type of shape, because they have good casting.

also i like halco roosta poppers in the white redhead

Edited by Regan

And, even though it's not actually a popper, it's fun in the same way but with a twist. When summer comes back grab yourself a Bent Minnow (genuine one not a copy, makes a big difference) and sneak up on some bream. It is very cool fun too

Edited by HenryR

24 minutes ago, HenryR said:

And, even though it's not actually a popper, it's fun in the same way but with a twist. When summer comes back grab yourself a Bent Minnow (genuine one not a copy, makes a big difference) and sneak up on some bream. It is very cool fun too

do you mean the osp bent minnow?

been meaning to get one heard they are good for bass as well

yep, 100% OSP.

I've tried Bent Minnows on bass a few times and never had any joy. It might be a matter of what type of water they're used in. Most of my bass fishing has been in very small very fresh water - not a lot of bait fish?? For bass: Tiemco soft cicadas are killer. They must have a really good 'mouth feel' because bass will hit them, miss, hit them again and so on until the hooks bite. What fun! The other surface lure not to overlook for bass is good old Jitterbugs. Been around forever. The little ones in black. Worked slow they're not as good as the Tiemcos but they cast further, they don't foul in the air as much as the Tiemcos and they give a more reliable straight retrieve. Really good if you want to cover ground, or are fishing in the dark and need to make good bass-attracting noise, or are just feeling lazy - lob them out, reel them in and they do all the work for you.

I've had good results on EPs with Bent Minnows. That's fun. Watching them come out from under rocks. They sit stationary under the lure and study for a while- much the same as bream do - before hitting.

Bent Minnows are, I reckon, an absolute masterpiece of lure design.