Burley set up

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Thought I'd share my burley set up. Feel free to provide feedback. 

It's been a lot of trial and error to get to this point. Essentially I use 10 litre frozen blocks in a burley bag. I either just let it float beside the boat or I use handline and sinkers to drop the bag to the bottom.

Each block gets 30 to 45 minutes use. I take 4 blocks.

to make the blocks I use chicken pellets, aniseed powder, tuna oil, garlic powder and any near empty stuff in pantry like fish or oyster sauce or food that's close to being binned that I think fish will go for.

works very well.

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

Get a truck spring (Suspension) or a large spring from a 4WD. Get a mesh bag or make one. Clamp a steel cable to the spring and tie your line to the steel cable. Put your burley  in this and drop down to the desired depth. 

The coils vibrate the burley so it disperses and it also works the burley closer to the boat so that your lines don't get caught. 

This is the very best Burley distribution method. 

Guest Guest123456789
9 hours ago, recurve said:

Get a truck spring (Suspension) or a large spring from a 4WD. Get a mesh bag or make one. Clamp a steel cable to the spring and tie your line to the steel cable. Put your burley  in this and drop down to the desired depth. 

The coils vibrate the burley so it disperses and it also works the burley closer to the boat so that your lines don't get caught. 

This is the very best Burley distribution method. 

Great way to add a metallic, rusty scent to the trail

14 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thought I'd share my burley set up. Feel free to provide feedback. 

It's been a lot of trial and error to get to this point. Essentially I use 10 litre frozen blocks in a burley bag. I either just let it float beside the boat or I use handline and sinkers to drop the bag to the bottom.

Each block gets 30 to 45 minutes use. I take 4 blocks.

to make the blocks I use chicken pellets, aniseed powder, tuna oil, garlic powder and any near empty stuff in pantry like fish or oyster sauce or food that's close to being binned that I think fish will go for.

works very well.

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

I would of thought a 10kg block would last longer than that.What are you trying to attract?A great white?I tried the mesh bags etc and found that using the pvc canister I made with the frozen slugs to be more efficient for berleying at whatever depth you require and very easy to deploy and retrieve.I've had slugs in that last 3hrs that weigh around 1.5kg depending on water conditions.

Good on you for trying things out to see what works best for you.

As for berley recipes,simple ones like simply pillys and chook pellets have worked and so have more complex ones at different times.

Guest Guest123456789
10 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I would of thought a 10kg block would last longer than that.What are you trying to attract?A great white?I tried the mesh bags etc and found that using the pvc canister I made with the frozen slugs to be more efficient for berleying at whatever depth you require and very easy to deploy and retrieve.I've had slugs in that last 3hrs that weigh around 1.5kg depending on water conditions.

Good on you for trying things out to see what works best for you.

As for berley recipes,simple ones like simply pillys and chook pellets have worked and so have more complex ones at different times.

Thanks Fab. I tried slugs and for the type of fishing I do and how I fish I opted for a different approach.

Not targeting sharks, I like using burley for snapper and bream especially.

Guest Guest123456789

Haven't had any makos show up yet but I have had a hungry school of snapper and kings behind the boat. Looked like sydney aquarium.

Seems like a good idea. If you are looking for something abit more simple try mixing water, chicken pellets and tuna oil/pilchard. Let them sit for a minute and then squish it all up and throw a handful every now and then. This is works great with a baitrunner, tiny sinker and a pilchard cube.

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Yep and when a mako grabs the berley bag and gives a little shake it will look like the Bondi Murk!!!

no one is scared of your mako

I have had heaps of encounters with makos..you should be scared..my biggest is 310kg on 24kg and scared the crap out of us when it jumped completely over our boat  a 23ft huntsman...I have also had a 70kg model come over the gunwale chasing a trag into the boat  it landed on the floor and went berserk..i use a berley pot on my boat..bags of berley tied to small boats or especially yaks are a recipe for disaster waiting to happen..200kgs of mako draggin you round will give you something to be scared of..a large white could be worse and don't think they aren't in close in shallow water...my advise is be careful...rick

21 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I have had heaps of encounters with makos..you should be scared..my biggest is 310kg on 24kg and scared the crap out of us when it jumped completely over our boat  a 23ft huntsman...I have also had a 70kg model come over the gunwale chasing a trag into the boat  it landed on the floor and went berserk..i use a berley pot on my boat..bags of berley tied to small boats or especially yaks are a recipe for disaster waiting to happen..200kgs of mako draggin you round will give you something to be scared of..a large white could be worse and don't think they aren't in close in shallow water...my advise is be careful...rick

Would have liked to see a video of that!

Cheers

Jim

looks good,

another thing some people could try is a berley bomb

you get cut up pilchards/any old bait, and mix it in with some sand then you form a sphere shape, freeze it and then when you go out you throw them over the boat.

14 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Great way to add a metallic, rusty scent to the trail

No issue attracting snapper and Kings. They don't seem worried by steel. Stainless Steel cable is for Sharks. I have had them attack it a few times but they only take the mesh and I keep my coil and rig.?

Guest Guest123456789
6 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

You should consider a 10lbs breakaway to connect your burley bag, that way the shark won't pull your boat around.

This wasn't you was it?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-28/great-white-shark-jumps-into-fishermans-boat-at-evans-head/8567166

Guest Guest123456789
29 minutes ago, hackingsOG said:

just curious wether you bother grinding the pellets up or just mix them in whole??

neither. I use boiling water so they turn to mush.