Purchasing new(2nd hand) tinny

fRuItCaKe

Hi everybody.  I've been a long time away from this group since I sold my Polycraft, but I'm back (for better or worse....).

I just want to get a small tinny this time as 90% of the time I'm sure it'll be me going out alone :(  maybe the daughter.

This one came up for sale at $6k negotiable.  Motor is a Seaking, supposed to be a Yammy clone  Hull is Sea Craft.

Only been out 3 times, comes as shown with fishfinder ($300) and bilge pump.  No nav lights, I'd have to do them myself, which is no issue.

What do people think, especially the price??  I'm going to grill Ausmarine at the boat show on Sunday prior to going to have a look.

Anything I should look for (apart from the obvious cracks, motor runs etc).

Thanks!

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Far too expensive mate. You can do much better if you shop around a bit. Obvious things to look for (apart from what you have stated) would be the condition of the trailer. Particularly any rust, cracks and poor welds. Good luck with your search, don't be too hasty. BN

With boats it's always a buyers market pretty much especially with boats that are a dime a dozen and basic like tinnys etc.There's way more used boats than used boat buyers out there and like cars every buyer wants to pay as little as they can and every seller wants to sell for as much as they can.

If a boat is say worth 8k new and the seller wants 6k after 3-4yrs,most people just bite the bullet and save up a little more or stretch out the loan and buy brand new and reap the rewards that comes with that.

Boats are like anything really,They're worth as much as a particular buyer wants to pay and a particular seller wants to let it go for.

My advice is to purchase wisely otherwise you will end up like so many do buying and selling over and over again losing a shitload of money in the process.

False economy if you ask me but hey it's they're money.

I'm sure their will be many on here that have done that over the years willing to get on here to defend their reasoning behind it.

Like I said it's their money.

All the best mate with whatever you buy and enjoy your time on the water. 

A boat is only worth whay people are willing to pay at the end of the day. Im in the market for a new boat and in my searching i have seen some tinnys on the market with a bit more fruit on them for 6k or so. I dont think id pay 6k for it . But rhays just my opinion.  Shop around and get what you think suits your need

Cheers

13 hours ago, fRuItCaKe said:

Curious though.

Why are people saying $3-4k?

Boat 3yo, price new would be around $7-8k.

Is the 2nd hand market a bit stuffed or am I missing something??  Any input would be great

What yr missing is there are heaps of similar boats in the 3 - 4 k range most fitted with a well known brand motor not something  rebadged

Unfortunately the motor is not a good sales point on that boat, IF it was a proper Yamaha than the price would not be so far out, you would find it hard to re-sell IF you ever wanted to. Look around a bit more. It's a lovely little boat but just not $6 grans worth. And he has the canopy set up wrong, the back supports should be spacers to spread the canopy not hold the back down.

Frank

Edited by frankS

13 hours ago, fRuItCaKe said:

Curious though.

Why are people saying $3-4k?

Boat 3yo, price new would be around $7-8k.

Is the 2nd hand market a bit stuffed or am I missing something??  Any input would be great

In comparison I sold a top of the range quintrex explorer that came with full casting decks, Lowrance hds 7, Honda 20 4sroke power trim for $3000 at less than 3 years old. 

I still can't help myself from looking at boats on boatsales.com and am amazed by the amount of boats that have simply stayed on there for sale at the same price for years. As the lads are saying this boat seems very over priced for that much money. Mid winter you should be able to pick up a much better deal than that.

Guest Guest123456789

the reason you don't buy no name, Chinese brands - you take a rinse on the resale value. true for boats and cars.

Just my personal opinion, but I feel like you should look around some more, there are plenty of used boats on gumtree, boat sales etc. You can even go to your local dealer and see if they have any consignment boats as they generally will be cheaper than if they sold their own stock. 

And personally I wouldn't pay 3k for a yamaha clone. I'm not too familiar with sea king but the last thing you want is your motor not working when your out on the water by yourself. Ive heard alot of stories of chinese brand motors failing people.

Agreed.  Rang him this morning.  Offered $3k.  Mentioned about the fact the motor wasn't a known brand.

He didn't even respond with a counter offer.

Didn't even really say anything......

I'll keep looking. And keep all the above info in mind.  Ta.

PS, If anyone comes across anything that fits my criteria and is value then please let me know. :)

Mate, it does look ok. The Anglapro boats I think have come on the market as a cheaper option a few years back. I'm not that familiar with them so I would just check out what the thickness of the hull and the sides are. Some boats can be very thin. Maybe check what flotation they have under the floor etc too. Also , just double check what the maximum size motor the hull can legally taker.....I'm pretty sure that suzie 20 will be ok, but if not and something happens, you run the risk of your insurer not coming to the party. 

good luck

Max HP - 25hp

Bottom sheet thickness - 2mm

Side sheet thickness - 2mm

It's a variant of their Core CSR384 which was given the badging of MR384 as these were boats donated to Marine Rescue for raffles (so I've found out).  They have flotation built into the seats. So he must have won that one.

7 hours ago, fRuItCaKe said:

Max HP - 25hp

Bottom sheet thickness - 2mm

Side sheet thickness - 2mm

It's a variant of their Core CSR384 which was given the badging of MR384 as these were boats donated to Marine Rescue for raffles (so I've found out).  They have flotation built into the seats. So he must have won that one.

Ok, thats all good then mate. Yeah, I actually remember now buying some tickets in one of those raffles a couple of years ago at Merimbula, but at the time was concerned that they only had 9hp motors on the back. Was thinking I could have probably swum faster than it would go!

all the best

Well...missed out on that one.  Funny how it goes.  Maybe one of you guys bought it?? Lol

Anyway there's another I'm going to have a look at.  A Stacer 429 Rampage.

What are the Vortex motors like??  Another Chinese one I presume.....